SPG Starpoints to Avios - 10% Bonus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
SPG Starpoints to Avios - 10% Bonus

Just received:

Dear Paralytic,

Did you know that you can convert your Starpoints® into Avios?

You can use Avios to fly to hundreds of destinations with British Airways or use them for flight upgrades, hotels and car rental. And if you convert your Starpoints® now, we'll give you a 10% Avios bonus.

Starwood Hotels & Resorts are partnering with British Airways in this offer so if you've stayed with any of them and collected points before, you'll be able to convert them to Avios. All you have to do is enrol via the 'Convert to Avios' button below.

To qualify for your 10% Avios bonus, make sure you convert your points before midnight 30 September 2014.
The email small print also says "Enjoy an additional 5,000 bonus Avios when you exchange 20,000 Starpoints ", so we can presume we'll get the extra 10% on that too, as happened with previous similar offers.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: BA silver
Tempted to finally move my sign up bonus..
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Thanks, good for a few SPG points already in the account.

Don't think this will be much use converting AMEX MR points to Starwood then to BA though as it says:

2 Membership Rewards points is equal to 1 Starwood Preferred Guest Point
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
So moving 20k starpoints will yield 27,500 avios now?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by yokozuma
Thanks, good for a few SPG points already in the account.

Don't think this will be much use converting AMEX MR points to Starwood then to BA though as it says:

2 Membership Rewards points is equal to 1 Starwood Preferred Guest Point
Absolutely not!!! 10,000 MR points would mean 5,000 Starwood and then 5,500 BA.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aceman
Yes, based on previous experience.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aceman
Yes, 20,000 + the usual SPG 5,000 bonus + BA's 2,500. Unfortunately, I moved 20,000 a couple of weeks ago and won't be back in starwood until after 30 Sept. Mr Hillier gave us very little time on this one!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by morges1
Mr Hillier gave us very little time on this one!
I have a feeling that this has something to do with last-minute end of a quarter shuffling around.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: FT
anyone suspect that the days of the 25% bonus are gone? it was only last year the offer at this time was 25%. i have 40K in SPG that really is not doing anything there.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mkjr
anyone suspect that the days of the 25% bonus are gone? it was only last year the offer at this time was 25%. i have 40K in SPG that really is not doing anything there.
The SPG 25% bonus on 20K is always there! If you change those 40k SPG in two 20K lots before 30 Sept you will get 55,000 avios credited to BA.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by mkjr
i have 40K in SPG that really is not doing anything there.
I'm in the same boat except I am saving them up to try 1st on another airline. No way I'd use spg points for avios when avios are so easy to collect in other ways.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Lan44
I'm in the same boat except I am saving them up to try 1st on another airline. No way I'd use spg points for avios when avios are so easy to collect in other ways.
Agreed I prefer the flexibility of just leaving them to top up other FFP for things like LH F. I've got too many Avios as it is. I no longer transfer other loyalty program miles and reward points to Avios
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
I cherish my SPG and MR points too much to transfer them into Avios unless a stupendous conversion offer comes along.

My preference is to use the aforementioned currencies for SQ, CX, EK redemptions.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze (woohoo)
Has anyone got any experience of using Starwood. Points for hotels in Europe? Are there any in the lower cats that are good value for points for a long weekend? I've got 22k points and trying to decide whether to use on a weekend away hotels or avios and look to UUA a flight at some point
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Etting
Has anyone got any experience of using Starwood. Points for hotels in Europe? Are there any in the lower cats that are good value for points for a long weekend? I've got 22k points and trying to decide whether to use on a weekend away hotels or avios and look to UUA a flight at some point
Not sure where you're based, but buy 2K and stay 2 nights at the Sheraton in Edinburgh? Its starting to get colder up here though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.