Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 79: When will I know if it’s been cancelled?

Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB PE, BA Au

Throughout September, BA have cancelled BA 79 & 80, to/from Accra.

I realise this is related to the retirement of the venerable 767 fleet.

I am booked on BA79 on 13 October and it’s still showing as scheduled; does this mean that
a) there are some 767s left?
b) another aircraft will be used? or
c) I am being lulled into a false sense of security and it will be cancelled fairly soon (or at least shortly before I fly)?
Surely I can’t be the only person who likes the overnight flight to Accra!
Saves me cost of an hotel room in ACC as well
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:06 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I'd give BA a call and see if you can move onto the day flight in advance of them cancelling the service.

I tried to book the night flight for November and it didnt even show up as an option.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:38 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by halfdan

I am booked on BA79 on 13 October and it’s still showing as scheduled; does this mean that
c) I am being lulled into a false sense of security and it will be cancelled fairly soon (or at least shortly before I fly)?
Aren't the cancellations because of the Ebola outbreak?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
This is nothing to do with the fleet, and everything to do with Ebola. BA won't fly if it's not safe to do so.

MMB will update and you will be notified if the flight is cancelled, usually at least 1 week in advance with this sort of incident.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:32 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Genius1
This is nothing to do with the fleet, and everything to do with Ebola. BA won't fly if it's not safe to do so.

MMB will update and you will be notified if the flight is cancelled, usually at least 1 week in advance with this sort of incident.
But haven't the day flights to ACC been flying?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by Genius1
Ghana has had no Ebola cases and the daily flight continues to operate. The second service on select days followed VS withdrawal from the route. My guess is that it's commercial reasons.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Aren't the cancellations because of the Ebola outbreak?
Why would it be Ebola? This isn't Freetown or Monrovia. It's probably passenger loads not requiring two services.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by morges1
Why would it be Ebola? This isn't Freetown or Monrovia. It's probably passenger loads not requiring two services.
Undoubtedly right, but quite possibly the reason for the lower passenger loads is the Ebola outbreak. Just because there is no Ebola outbreak in Ghana doesn't stop people believing that there is one, or that one is imminent, especially if their geography is on the weak side.
Don't forget the 80% usage rule for LHR slots - if they aren't used 80% of the time in each IATA season they are valid for they are returned to the coordinating authority for reallocation. I imagine that the Freetown/Monrovia situation allows an exemption, but not Accra, so the flight needs to go sometimes even if it isn't at all well loaded, so that at the end of October the slots show as 80% used or more over the whole summer.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by morges1
I haven't a clue, that's why I asked the question!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by halfdan

BA 79/80 has been cancelled until March 2015 for the Winter season alongside reductions on various other routes.

http://www.speedbirdclub.com/nl/alln...jul/schchange/

http://londonairtravel.com/2014/08/0...142015-season/

It was announced to the trade at end July so I would be calling BA to check about re-booking.

Nothing to do with Ebola. I do sometimes wonder why posters make such ridiculous statements when they haven't a scooby what they are talking about.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB PE, BA Au
It was announced in July, that BA79/80 would be cancelled for the winter (along with several other flights/destinations)
British Airways will reduce weekly frequency on the following LHR longhaul routes for the Winter 2014 season only.

Accra (ACC)
Reduces to daily from 11 flights per week
BA079 LHR-ACC on Mon, Thu, Fri and Sun cancelled
BA080 ACC-LHR on Mon, Tue, Fri and Sat cancelled

Montreal (YUL)
Reduces to 6 per week from a daily service
BA095/094 LHR-YUL-LHR on Tuesdays cancelled

New York (JFK)
Reduces to 56 per week from 62
BA181 LHR-JFK Monday to Saturdays cancelled
BA180 JFK-LHR Tuesday to Sundays cancelled

New York (EWR)
Reduces to 19 per week from 20
BA187/186 LHR-EWR-LHR on Mondays cancelled

Key Points
Flights are now being updated in the selling systems
Cancelled from 26 Oct 2014 until 29 Mar 2015
Customers are being re-accommodated onto alternative flights on the same route where possible
Direct customers will be notified by email
For any customer dissatisfied with the alternative flight, please use standard Conditions of Carriage Guidelines

I suppose the Ebola scare could have reduced the number of passengers heading for West Africa and the 767 fleet does seem to be falling to bits. Perhaps the September cancellations have been the result of a combination of these two factors.

I guess I just have to wait until I receive the message that I have been re-booked onto the day flight.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by simons1
BA 79/80 has been cancelled until March 2015 for the Winter season ...

Nothing to do with Ebola. I do sometimes wonder why posters make such ridiculous statements when they haven't a scooby what they are talking about.
And the OP is travelling on 13 October which is before the winter season starts.

People in glass houses?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:29 am

Programs: BA, VS,
The main reason for this is not Ebola but the state of the economy in ghana. There is massive devaluation of the currency. Many people's one just can afford to fly at the moment.

The day flight yesterday was full of UK based passengers, people living in ghana can't keep up with the costs when there has been a 25% delvaluation in the exchange rates this year against sterling and the US$
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
And the OP is travelling on 13 October which is before the winter season starts.

People in glass houses?

And??

Not an ebola cancellation clearly, or they wouldn't be continuing to operate flights there.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by simons1
And??
The announced canx for NW2014/5 don't cover the canx in September, nor does it cover whether the OP's flight on 13 October will or will not be canx.

So contrary to the tenor of your post, the announced canx are not the answer to the OP's question.

Can any of us know at this stage whether or not the 13 October flight will or will not be cancelled? I'm not going to make a prediction as to whether or why, because I know I wouldn't have a scooby what I'd be talking about.

In contrast, I know that at least one other poster to this thread is in a position possibly to have some useful information about whether there is any direct or indirect link to Ebola.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.