Wiki Posts
Search

BA A380 tail Cam IFE

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

BA A380 tail Cam IFE

Hey all

I read on this forum sometime ago that BA is planning to add the Tail can feature to its IFE from a future aircraft.

Does anyone have any info on if this is still happening?

Thanks
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Doubt it, they could have it on the other aircraft and don't seem interested.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
I think its a shame they didn't have the cameras in the new aircraft. I'd definitely watch during take off and landing.

I'd also like a button where we could submit marks out of 10 for the pilot's skills - soft landing, smooth take off etc. Nil points for the crew from the flight to AMS today. I know I was transferring from my SFO flight and was slightly sleepy and a little bit grumpy but blimey - if I'd had a drink in my hand the contents would have hit the ceiling... .

Still, anything you can walk away from....
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Fly Baby
I think its a shame they didn't have the cameras in the new aircraft. I'd definitely watch during take off and landing.

I'd also like a button where we could submit marks out of 10 for the pilot's skills - soft landing, smooth take off etc. Nil points for the crew from the flight to AMS today. I know I was transferring from my SFO flight and was slightly sleepy and a little bit grumpy but blimey - if I'd had a drink in my hand the contents would have hit the ceiling... .

Still, anything you can walk away from....
Was that BA432 by chance?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Doubt it, they could have it on the other aircraft and don't seem interested.
G-XLEI will be the first aircraft with the potential to stream the landscape and taxi cam feed due to the 'mod status' being fitted I the build. If the IFE boffins make it so, the stream will be immediately available. Watch this space.

P.S. The cam feed in IFE is not a default option with Airbus. There is a mod required to feed the stream to IFE.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Why didn't we order this for the earlier aircraft?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Why didn't we order this for the earlier aircraft?
Because this is BA.
As for retrofits, I haven't a clue. But as each new FCOM gets uploaded new little snippets of info can be gleaned from the updated list of mods.....if one has no life......oops, spilt the beans.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Platinum and BAEC blue again :'(
I would like to see BA have a function allowing us to plug in headphones and listen in on the communication between ATC and the pilots. I think it's UA which has this feature.

Another good feature would be to have a live stream of video and audio from the flightdeck to play on an IFE channel during takeoff, climb , approach, and landing.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by WeAreFlyingHigh
I would like to see BA have a function allowing us to plug in headphones and listen in on the communication between ATC and the pilots. I think it's UA which has this feature.
Interesting feature, but:

So if your aircraft has an emergency, you get to hear the full truth in the conversation between pilot and ground? Which renders the public announcement they might make about the issue, in language designed to soothe any distress, useless.

Can't see BALPA allowing that.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
Originally Posted by paul4040
Interesting feature, but:

So if your aircraft has an emergency, you get to hear the full truth in the conversation between pilot and ground? Which renders the public announcement they might make about the issue, in language designed to soothe any distress, useless.

Can't see BALPA allowing that.
I am sure there would be a "turn/off" switch for this feature but if there is a real emergency - I don't think pilot's first priority would be to turn this off
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by techblr
I am sure there would be a "turn/off" switch for this feature but if there is a real emergency - I don't think pilot's first priority would be to turn this off
If the aircrew got as far as Communicate in the "aviate, navigate, communicate" acronym then I'm sure there'd be a way of automatically turning the feed off, such as if the squawk code was changed to one of the emergency codes (7500,7600,7700). Before that time, there's unlikely to be any communication anyway.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by techblr

Indeed. I hope that "Mayday Mayday Mayday" and a direct explanation of the issue to ATC would come before they thought to cut off the IFE.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Channel 9 on UA is interesting, but usually just around takeoff and landing. Lots of dead air in between.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
I'm just curious to know the actual cost of this mod. Does this come directly from Airbus or the IFE makers?

I feel its from Airbus but the IFEs should also have support for this. Do the A380s in BA fleet (Thales IFEs right?) have support for this?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: BA-Gold (dropping to Silver soon); AA & Flying Blue; Top Gear (the Clarkson years); Doctor Who :)
Originally Posted by WeAreFlyingHigh
Based on TFTG's from Madame PUCCI it may be more entertaining to have audio feed from a couple of the CC - like they do from the Twenty20 cricketers during the game.

Maybe you could only listen to CC attending to other sections than your own.

Flagrant way to ignore personal rights to secrecy, etc - but if modern tv has all of these reality "celebs" then why not a live feed from in the air...maybe it needs to be a tv channel rather than on the actual aircraft - even a game show potential - "Guess the Airline" or "What route are we on?"

Okay - taking this too far....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.