Wiki Posts
Search

PHL to CDG US Airways

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:07 am
Original Poster

PHL to CDG US Airways

Hey All,

I am attempting to book a flight from Philadelphia to Paris(CDG) from the 10th of Feb to the 18th. I have found the availability on US Airways and have been able to pull it up on BA.com, but when I go to book it with Avios points on the BA site it is charging my 80k Avios and 1300.00 US Dollars! From all that I have read I shouldnt have to pay fuel charges on partner flights booked with Avios. Am I doing something wrong here? Both flights to and from are US Airways flights. Do I not book the flights through BA? It is the only way I know to use Avios points to pay for a flight. Please help! Thanks
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:09 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by jobobcowman
From all that I have read I shouldnt have to pay fuel charges on partner flights booked with Avios.
Then you've read incorrectly.

BA charges a carrier surcharge for most partner award flights including US (although up until recently US awards were not charged).
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
The surcharges are lower for TATL flights on Aer Lingus and Air Berlin, but US$1300 is absolutely outrageous, especially if you value your avios even at just 1 cent each.

Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Does anyone have a better way to fly this then?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:00 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Does anyone have a better way to fly this then?
AB or EI.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:52 am
Original Poster

How do I book them through BA.com? I do not see the ability to do so.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
AB reward flights show up on britishairways.com. For EI flights you have to call. See these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...os-2014-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rcharges+avios
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...demptions.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rcharges+avios
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Neither AB nor EI serves PHL. The closest gateways are JFK (for both), and BOS (for EI).

AB does not serve CDG, but it does serve ORY (from TXL only).

The ba.com website can show award-seat availability -- if it exists -- on AB. For EI award seats, you must call the BAEC Service Center to check availability, and to book.

And, of course, BAEC charges for each flight flown: connections are not free when redeeming Avios (with a minor exception not relevant here).
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:14 am

Just for clarification you are flying on US metal direct and NOT via LHR on BA?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Airbridge
Just for clarification you are flying on US metal direct and NOT via LHR on BA?
That is Correct, although I am not opposed to it. I basically need to get from Florida to Paris. If that requires booking a seperate, short haul jump on another carrier outside of the main international flight then that is fine. I basically have 80k Avios to use.

If I can't do it I'll wait for my US Airways points to come in (I signed up for 2 cards this morning which will give me the points). Since I am flying in February, the Award space should still be there in a week or 2 right? right?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Since I am flying in February, the Award space should still be there in a week or 2 right? right?"

Unfortunately, there's no telling. Someone could book the available seats tomorrow -- or not. US might decide to withdraw some seats from the low-tier award inventory -- or to add some.

The ba.com award search engine typically indicates the number of award seats available for particular flights. How many were available for your desired US flights?

And, of course, it's also possible that award flights that are not currently available will become available a few weeks from now.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
If I can't do it I'll wait for my US Airways points to come in (I signed up for 2 cards this morning which will give me the points). Since I am flying in February, the Award space should still be there in a week or 2 right? right?
I would assume it is gone in a day or two to avoid disappointment.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

"Since I am flying in February, the Award space should still be there in a week or 2 right? right?"

Unfortunately, there's no telling. Someone could book the available seats tomorrow -- or not. US might decide to withdraw some seats from the low-tier award inventory -- or to add some.

The ba.com award search engine typically indicates the number of award seats available for particular flights. How many were available for your desired US flights?

And, of course, it's also possible that award flights that are not currently available will become available a few weeks from now.

Well...I have several different ways to get there. If I have to take a roundabout route I will. I am still several months out, so the chances of me finding a path there for a moderate amount of points is pretty high I would hope. I could even fly into London and take the train or something. There are a lot of options once I am actually in that general area of the world. Convenience is not always possible with award bookings, contrary to what the "bloggers" show.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.