Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New iPhone app feature - beta test

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:48 pm
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Have used this for 3 or 4 flights now, and no issues at all. Gate announcement, boarding announcement and Lounge welcome via iBeacon have all worked every time. About to take off again in an hour from T5, and presume it will all work fine again. Will report back via app if otherwise!

Now, if you could find a way to notify me immediately, when the seat shifters have changed my seat (happens often as I always try to grab first row behind the curtain, which keeps moving) I'd be immensely grateful!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by JK
Now, if you could find a way to notify me immediately, when the seat shifters have changed my seat (happens often as I always try to grab first row behind the curtain, which keeps moving) I'd be immensely grateful!
Grabbing the first row behind the curtain is rapidly becoming pointless. The only reason I can think of doing this is because the way the convertible seating worked you'd have the first row with the B seat squashed. All the A320 fleet will have been converted by the end of October and then they'll be rapidly working through the A319 and A321.

You're better off aiming for the exit rows now as you're unlikely to get shifted and they're now (along with row 1 in CE) the only rows on a shorthaul aircraft that give any space advantage.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:26 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by layz
Grabbing the first row behind the curtain is rapidly becoming pointless...
I agree, it's becoming less useful, though I do massively appreciate sitting as far forward as possible. Plus, I keep having bad experiences with Exit rows, and am clearly choosing the wrong row. I keep finding Exit seats I've had are far more upright than normal seats, and for some reason, have less legroom. This is when there are 2 rows of Exit seats. I'm clearly choosing the wrong row, but after 3 of those bad experiences, I now avoid Exit rows altogether! Really must figure out the right strategy for that... Any tips?

APP FEEDBACK - received boarding announcement about 2 minutes late today (I was already at the door of the aircraft!) Plus, I received it twice, the second one arriving 4 minutes later.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Best exit row is the 2nd one (on an A320). The rule is that you can't recline into an exit row, so the row in front of the exit can't recline. This means the first exit row can't recline either as there's another exit behind them. The 2nd exit row has the advantage of being able to recline and also the fact those in front of you can't recline.

Traditionally I agreed with you regarding exit rows, the seats in the forward part of the cabin with 34" legroom seemed preferable to me. Now it's 30" throughout the cabin the legroom at the exits will be more noticeable.

Did you send your app feedback in using the feedback facility on the app? It's probably worth including as much info as you can about the issue including flight number, whether you were connected to the internet via 3G/4G or WiFi (maybe the alerts were sent on time but a network connectivity issue held them up), if you had waited for the alerts would you have still been able to catch your flight or would the gate have been closed, etc.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:46 am
JK

Thanks layz, will submit the feedback via the app.

Re exit seats - one other benefit behind the curtain is that normally, no-one sits in the last row of CE. So not only does that reduce anyone reclining into me, but it means I can also put my knees up against the seat in front, to hold me in place while I try and nod off! I can never get my head to stay put while trying to snooze onboard, and my back aches horribly in the new cabin and seats. Propping my knee up is the only thing I've found so far to help a tiny bit.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JK
Thanks layz, will submit the feedback via the app.

Re exit seats - one other benefit behind the curtain is that normally, no-one sits in the last row of CE. So not only does that reduce anyone reclining into me, but it means I can also put my knees up against the seat in front, to hold me in place while I try and nod off! I can never get my head to stay put while trying to snooze onboard, and my back aches horribly in the new cabin and seats. Propping my knee up is the only thing I've found so far to help a tiny bit.
I had a bad experience once where people were sat in the last row of CE and decided to recline fully as soon as they sat down, weren't told by the crew to put their seats up for take off and landing. The crew seemed happy to allow CE customers to flout the rules of the time (the reclined seats being one, but electronics during take-off were banned back then too but they turned a blind eye) but they strictly enforced the rules in ET.

It would have been bad for the passenger in the window seat if there had been an evacuation as that reclined seat would make getting out difficult.

I'm not sure how, but the seat seemed to recline more than usual. I've tried reclining CE seats before when no one is behind me and never got them to go that far back. I was tempted to use his head for a drinks tray

It was a rare example of a bad BA crew.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:42 am
JK

I think I'd have gone ballistic! Internally of course, and ruined no-ones flight but my own. Damn those British sensibilities! Haha
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 am
Company Representative - British Airways
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thanks again to those of you who took part in the beta.

The beta app will expire this evening. This means that you won't be able to use the beta app to do anything other than send feedback.

Once you have sent any final feedback please delete the app and reinstall the live app from the App Store.

Sorry for not giving you more notice of this.

Warm regards

Nick
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the update, does that mean there'll be an update to the live app in the very near future?

The gate alerts were very handy.

Suggestion: have you considered leaving the feedback menu in the live builds? As it handily collects a screenshot and device/OS information it'll provide a wider audience the chance of reporting issues easily.

It may be worth trying for one release to see whether you get useful feedback through this channel, mostly general ranting or the feature is generally not used.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:17 am
Company Representative - British Airways
Original Poster

Hi layz,

I'm glad you found the gate notifications useful. We should have an update to the live app soon.

Thanks for the suggestion about feedback. It's something we've discussed internally and it's an area we want to improve.

Warm regards

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.