New iPhone app feature - beta test

Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by layz
Are you sure it's a 10% share and not just 10?
^

Agreed... There is no way that windows phone has 1/3rd of the market share that iOS has. I think 1/100th of Apple's share would be a generous estimate, and 10 is closer to reality than 10%...
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Sent a PM - no response so far.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Are there plans to do something similar for Android?
I will ask the 2nd question to add to yours
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by economyman
The testing goes live on 29 September so I wouldn't expect a response until somewhere near there.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:14 am
Company Representative - British Airways
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Does iPhone app on iPad qualify for this trial?
Hi LTN Phobia,

Yes, the iPhone app on iPad qualifies (as long as you have a data connection).

Warm regards

Nick
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:23 am
Company Representative - British Airways
Original Poster

Originally Posted by economyman
Hi economyman,

Thanks for signing up for the beta test.

We'll send you an email tomorrow or on Friday with instructions on how to download the test version of the app.

Warm regards

Nick
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Tallwills
Like KevintheB, I'm surprised that British Airways have neglected their Windows Phone app. Since this summer's update of the os to Windows Phone 8.1, many of the app's core functions no longer work. Although Windows Phone percentage share of the UK market is only ~10% of smartphone users compared with ~30% who use Apple iOS, I'd have thought that correcting faults experienced by ~3 million potential and actual customers in the UK would have a higher priority than "a new Windows Phone app is being worked on, but we've no planned release date for it."
Let's be honest, BA gave up caring about those on iOS 5 or 6 (which my iPhone 4 is on), so no surprises they don't care about Windows Phone 8.1 (which my Lumia 1020 is on).

I've voice this concern many times - but no one appears to care. Does BA App Official care to comment, or does their silence mean they officially don't care about these OS?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Jordan D
Let's be honest, BA gave up caring about those on iOS 5 or 6 (which my iPhone 4 is on)...
In the spirit of honesty, iOS 7 is supported and can be installed on an iPhone 4. If you choose not to do so, that is on you. Besides, it is becoming more and more of an accepted practice to provide app support for only one iOS release back. This is why a lot of apps have gone "iOS7 and later" last week. My 4.9.x version of the app works just fine, so it's not like things go completely broken.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by techie
In the spirit of honesty, iOS 7 is supported and can be installed on an iPhone 4. If you choose not to do so, that is on you. Besides, it is becoming more and more of an accepted practice to provide app support for only one iOS release back. This is why a lot of apps have gone "iOS7 and later" last week. My 4.9.x version of the app works just fine, so it's not like things go completely broken.
Specifically told that "it wouldn't be advisable" to put iOS7 on the iPhone4 by the Apple Store ... and I'm guessing that if I went online now, it wouldn't allow me to download iOS7?

Nonetheless - when iOS7 was the top version of the OS, BA didn't support iOS6 for the App.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Specifically told that "it wouldn't be advisable" to put iOS7 on the iPhone4 by the Apple Store ... and I'm guessing that if I went online now, it wouldn't allow me to download iOS7?

Nonetheless - when iOS7 was the top version of the OS, BA didn't support iOS6 for the App.
I ran my 4 on 7 from release till one month ago with no problems - have now made a huge upgrade (to a 4s)
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
It should still allow you to download that version, because iOS 8 is not supported on iPhone 4. And just because it was not "advisable", it does not mean that it could not be done. Older hardware + newer software sometimes cause issues, but it's down to you to decide whether to stay or make the jump.

This is not correct. Support for iOS 6 was introduced in the update released on Dec 10 2012. A few months before iOS 7 saw the light of day...
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:32 am

PM'd, looking forward to testing the feature :-)
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:49 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
PM'ing now! Just read about some of the coming features here: http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...-to-iphone-app

Very exciting!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
It would be interesting to understand if the app will deploy gate information when BA know it or in line with when BAA want us to have it. My biggest frustration is very late information on gate which a message to iphone at the same late time as everyone else does little to address.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)

I believe the performance issues of iOS 7 were fixed mostly with the 7.1 release.

Remember the iPhone 4 is ancient in smartphone terms. It was released in 2010 and the fact that it was supported until recently just shows how long Apple support their devices. It's rare for an Android to get more than 18 months support.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.