Search

BA 24 Hour Grace Period

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold, VS Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
BA 24 Hour Grace Period

Hi,

I've just spoken to BA Customer Services and been told that if I make a booking, there is a 24-hour grace period where I can change the booking, as well as cancel it, without any change fees.

Is this true? I thought the only option was to cancel and rebook.

I really need the change option rather than refunding.

Thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The original policy was cancel so that you could rebook, but there are frequent reports of changes being allowed without question - probably because in most cases it makes no practical difference, so BA is being pragmatic about this.

If you booked online because you used your shareholder discount (which is a possible interpretation of something you posted in another thread), then it's possible that you might lose this if you change the booking on the phone. I can't remember anyone having posted one way or the other about this.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:44 am

I think it would work out the same, they may call it changing the booking but they will take the refund from the original flight as part payment and you would pay the difference
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
I made a booking online last Friday. I rang BA on Saturday morning to make a change and it was fine. No fuss. No fees.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:00 am

Hi to clarify there are two seperate policies:

1) cooling off period which allows a full cancellation and refund within the 24 hours of having made the booking. This applies to bookings made BOTH ONLINE or OVER THE PHONE within 24 hours of being booked direct with BA. Please note that this cannot be applied if you already paid to change the flight in mmb so call BA first before you do anything!

2) correction policy which ONLY applies to bookings made ONLINE. It allows a change of flights within 24 hours even if the fare is non changeable under fare rules. The usual fare penalty and service fee are waived and you would only be charged if there was fare or tax difference.

Quite often this means people do get a free change but sometimes you will pay extra. Note also that if the fare is lower on the date you change too the policy doesnt allow for refund of this so you are better to cancel under cooling off.

****** i do not represent BA or IAG officially and all opinions expressed are my own and do not represent those of BA or IAG********
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by andrew-w
Hi,

I've just spoken to BA Customer Services and been told that if I make a booking, there is a 24-hour grace period where I can change the booking, as well as cancel it, without any change fees.

Is this true? I thought the only option was to cancel and rebook.

I really need the change option rather than refunding.

Thanks.
Yes it's very true. As long as you cancel within 24hrs of booking your ticket, you'll get back every penny you paid.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Silver
2 years ago I accidently booked my flight edi-lhr on an ex BMI BA flight which didn't arrive at T5, which would have made my connection tricky.
Called BA the next morning and it was changed no problem.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold, VS Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
I've spoken with Customer Services who said they will sent it to the back office to be changed, which could take a couple of weeks (I'm not travelling until November).

Does this sound legit?

I'm surprised they can't do it all straight away on the computer!
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:41 am

It usually takes some time for the ticket to be reissued, yes. Does the change show in MMB?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:34 am

Hi yes this is absolutely correct. The system for ticket reissue that a BA change booking/reservations agent has access to has something called ATC or automatic ticket changer. It is set up to calculate additional costs including change fees and then allow the agent to take payment and it then reissues the ticket.

It has limitations for example it doesnt work if journeys are part travelled or reissues have happened. In this case it cant be used because it always includes change fee in the calculated additional cost.

It is then sent to the ticketing team in manchester electronically. It takes time because they prioritise reissue based on departure date, so sooner dates are actioned first. You should still however be able to see the flight in mmb as in effect the fare availability is held for you.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
Does this also apply to flights booked with hotels (aka BA holidays?)
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: OneWorld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam, AMEX
I once booked an LHR-PEK flight departing on the wrong day. Called BA within 24h, took them probably less than a minute to change it while I was on the phone. No extra charge.

It usually takes some time for the ticket to be reissued, yes. Does the change show in MMB?
Not in my case, amended date was showing on the BA site (almost) immediately.

Last edited by johnspenceruk; Dec 10, 2014 at 12:11 pm Reason: typos! as always! extra information added.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Cancel within 24 hours of booking / within 24 hours of flight?

Just wondering if anyone disagrees with this response I've just had.

14.30 today booked a return reward flight to Venice departing 12.50 tomorrow and returning Saturday.

Person I booked it for realised they had messed up details so I decided to cancel.

Phoned BA who were helpful, then realised it was within 24 hours of the flight...

After discussing with his manager agent said they couldn't do grace period refund (all Avios refunded/All fees refunded) but could do the usual 'more than 24 hours from flight' refund, which was all Avios and minus the service fee (£30) which considering it was an RFS booking (£42.50) means I get £35 back.

I'm ok with the result to be honest - the Avios is main thing - but just wondering why this is a weird situation that the BA IT can't handle?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:26 am

I think it's more a revenue protection thing rather than a IT thing, if you cancel within 24hrs BA have very little opportunity to resell that seat. Is a bit annoying though as it's often last minute that plans are fluid and it'd come in handy - has caught me out before!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you look under 17.2 in the terms on this page http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...and-conditions

17.2. If flight bookings for Reward travel on British Airways or on flights operated by an Airline Partner are cancelled by the Member within 24 hours of departure, Avios Points in respect of the Reward will not be re-credited to the member. In the event you are prevented from travelling by an Event Beyond Your Control we will refund your Avios Points provided you have an unused Reward, have informed British Airways promptly, provided evidence of the event if requested to do so and paid the applicable fee specified on ba.com.
So, it seems that the refund of the avios was perhaps a gesture of goodwill? I seem to think the 24 hr cooling off period doesn't apply at all if the booking is made within 24 hrs of the flight departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.