Wiki Posts
Search

Marketing email from BA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Marketing email from BA

I booked some flights earlier this month, J from LGW to MCO and W from LAS to LHR.

I've been searching (in hope rather than expectation) for upgrade availability from W to J on my return from Vegas. As I'm flying on new year's day, I guess it will be last minute before anything becomes available - but it costs nothing to check.

Cue an email I had this morning from my friends at BA, who clearly have been peeking over my shoulder
---
Dear Mr DAC,

We couldn't help noticing that you're considering a trip to Las Vegas. Perfect. Why not let the excitement start right away by booking with British Airways?

You see, with us, the holiday feeling begins as soon as you make the decision to go. We have travel tips, destination guides and local insights to inspire you and build your anticipation.

And, of course, you can look forward to sitting back in your allocated seat and enjoying award-winning service and comfort all the way to one of the world's most beautiful destinations.

Visit ba.com and let your holiday to Las Vegas start now.
---

I guess the big brother system at BA has picked this up and would like me to make a booking. Should I reply that I have made said booking, and would they kindly make a reward seat available in J?

On another note I guess points to BA for being proactive in their approach. I don't know if anyone would be bothered that their flight search history is catalogued and analysed by BA, I'm not bothered just as long as BA don't get a hold of my google search history!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk DAC71

Welcome to Flyertalk DAC71, and welcome to the BA board. It's good to get new people joining us, I hope you will find this forum to be as useful as it is entertaining, and that you will continue to post here.

I suspect this is a new initiative, I can't see anything that come through that looks close to this, though most of my recent searches have been short haul. It would be a bit interesting if BA also added some incentive for closing the deal (e.g. book by x, get y extra Avios or something). I guess that may not be far off..... In a way this isn't rocket science, indeed we can see our own recent searches on the Executive Clob front page, but it seems an improvement on some of the rather poorly targeted offers I sometimes get.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
AA has started doing much the same thing if you search for flights while logged in. You may later get an email about a great fare they have "found" for that itinerary. In the recent cases I had already booked at a lower fare than they had "found" so it doesn't look as if they are making targeted special offers, more's the pity.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Similar system to hotels.com and the like I presume - now if they could just sort out the booking tools for anything other than the simplest itineraries...
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks corporate-wage-slave for your kind welcome. I've certainly found it very useful so far and just as interesting.

I like the idea of adding an incentive, although it could be manipulated I trust myself enough to be honest in these things
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:57 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It's always interesting to see companies play with this new science. When booking a holiday I'll check flights on skyscanner and ba.com, look it up on Tripadvisor and check trivago and various other hotel websites.

After booking I get targeted adverts for about 2 weeks with alternatives for things I've already decided on. I do find the pointless investment somewhat amusing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.