Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Back to KL [BA to resume flights to Kuala Lumpur from May 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Back to KL [BA to resume flights to Kuala Lumpur from May 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KenJohn
I suspect Malaysia would not grant BA the fifth freedom rights for LHR-KUL-SYD-KUL-LHR since it is too much direct competition for MH.
If BA had these rights in 1999/2000, should we really assume that they no longer have these rights?

This press release from last year seems to suggest that any limits on fifth freedom rights that may have been put in place by the Malaysian government on UK airlines have been completely lifted:

Originally Posted by UK Department of Transport
The new agreement removes the limit on the number of services that can be operated between the UK and Malaysia, and also grants the airlines of both sides unlimited rights to:

•pick up and set down passengers and cargo at intermediate or beyond points
•operate services within each other’s countries, and from each others’ countries to other points
EDIT: By the way, just came back to say that Emirates has been operating KUL-MEL-KUL (EK408/409) for the last few years, and it is a flight I have taken. It is one of 6 daily flights on this route - there are also 3 flights on MH and 2 flights on Air Asia X.
KUL-SYD-KUL only has 5 daily flights - 3 by MH, 2 by Air Asia X - so perhaps there is scope, eventually, for a fifth-freedom flight to be added on this route, bringing SYD to parity in comparison with MEL....

Last edited by irishguy28; Sep 17, 2014 at 6:59 am Reason: Added EK info
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
My final comment on this as I don't think it's been mentioned - likely to switch to a 787 in 2015.

BA have said "The route will be served by British Airways’ Boeing 777-200 aircraft with a potential Boeing 787 Dreamliner service launching in late 2015."
Quite possibly the launch route for the 787-9.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Maybe BA will extend the route on to Sydney. Then they could ditch BA11/12 and free up 3 planes.

BA don't have any ties with SQ so there is little reason to fly the kangaroo route through Singapore if it can be done just as effectively through it's neighbour.

It could also then take advantage of the MH domestic network and maybe flights into Vietnam and Indonesia.

Could this be the start of something much bigger than the relaunch of an old route?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
I would LOVE to see another OW carrier fly KUL-CGK. However, I would prefer a SIN-CGK tag bc not one OW airline flies between CGK and SIN. I remember BA announced that SIN-CGK was coming, and it was announced in the papers in Jakarta as well. Whatever happened with this?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
I would LOVE to see another OW carrier fly KUL-CGK. However, I would prefer a SIN-CGK tag bc not one OW airline flies between CGK and SIN. I remember BA announced that SIN-CGK was coming, and it was announced in the papers in Jakarta as well. Whatever happened with this?
Agreed about SIN-CGK! I take Ba 11/12 4-5 times a year and I haven't seen it less than full since 2011.And as other posters said there is never any avios availability for upgrades let alone redemptions whenever I was travelling. I'm glad they are returning to KL but really they should consider a 3rd daily maybe day time flight to SIN from LHR with an add on to JKT very early in the morning. Back to SIN for mid afternoon departure back to LHR by 2100 or so. They can also then justify investing in the lounge renovations.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Does anyone know why BA terminated service in 2001? Was it [in]directly as a result of the post-9/11 industry slump?
There is a lot of student traffic between South East Asia and London. The collapse of the Far East currencies back in 1998 signalled the start of students choosing to study in other locations. That was when Malaysia imposed exchange controls (now removed). Similarly, the recession in South East Asia was around that time so less business traffic which then lead to BA and other airlines pulling out of the region.
I thought that charges for using KUL went through the roof to pay for airport improvements and that (coupled with downturn in SE Asia and generally post 9/11) was the last straw for many European airlines, including BA.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: UA, BMI
KUL's return first "predicted" here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...a-station.html
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Already A8 and I2 on the inaugural outbound—some people don't hang about.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by wb1969
Maybe BA will extend the route on to Sydney. Then they could ditch BA11/12 and free up 3 planes.

BA don't have any ties with SQ so there is little reason to fly the kangaroo route through Singapore if it can be done just as effectively through it's neighbour.

It could also then take advantage of the MH domestic network and maybe flights into Vietnam and Indonesia.

Could this be the start of something much bigger than the relaunch of an old route?

KUL would make more sense for connections to Australia with MH. Given QF have cut their SIN capacity and retimed alot of flights KUL will probably be able to offer more connections to PER/ADL/BNE/MEL etc than QF via SIN.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
Hi there,
That return flight is extremely interesting! That is a pre 6am arrival.
Those slots are like gold dust. Either BA is using one of MH's slots (not sure if they have a pre 6am one) or one of the following is moving:

HKG
JNB
SIN
Riyadh

I think that there is one other pre 6am......

FD.
LOS?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Does anyone know why BA terminated service in 2001? Was it [in]directly as a result of the post-9/11 industry slump?
A number of "western" airlines (including QF, hence the quotes) cited dumping by MH as a reason why KUL would not work any more.

With respect to KenJohn, I can't see how changes in student traffic could make or break a route like this. It's highly seasonal and low yielding.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
I remember in the mid-1980s when it was LHR-AUH-KUL-MNL-KUL-AUH-LHR back in the days of the B747-200. It took the B747-300 to do KUL/BKK/SIN direct to LHR
BA 33/34 was served by a L1011 (Tristar 200) during the period 1985-88.

BA never operated the 743 AFAIK.

AUH-MNL was a very profitable route for BA at that time.

I'd be surprised if BA didn't add a 'tag-on' - there must be several options as previously discussed but what about Bali or Saigon (bit of self interest)?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG, TK Elite, IHG Amb & HH Diamond
MH to Australia

From what I've heard, MH is working hard in Australia to build up a customer base and increase traffic from Aus to KUL. Australian travel agents are being paid double their usual commission to direct people onto MH flights.

thedavebloke
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
if BA didn't add a 'tag-on' - there must be several options as previously discussed but what about Bali or Saigon (bit of self interest)?
I'm not so sure, BA don't like tags or shuttles. They have got rid of many: HKG-MNL/TPE; BKK-KUL; GRU-EZE etc... I suppose if the route struggles they may consider, but it appears that there is quite a bit of cost involved. It extends crews downroute. I expect it would be cheaper to do codeshare connections on MH.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by Dan72
I'm not so sure, BA don't like tags or shuttles. They have got rid of many: HKG-MNL/TPE; BKK-KUL; GRU-EZE etc... I suppose if the route struggles they may consider, but it appears that there is quite a bit of cost involved. It extends crews downroute. I expect it would be cheaper to do codeshare connections on MH.
Sure, but they have persisted with BAH-DOH and AUH-MCT for years. As KUL wouldn't appear to be a massive business focussed route (as opposed to SIN or HKG) adding on a tag to somewhere as a 'try out' might make sense, even if only on a seasonal basis.

Getting KUL at least gives us options for Penang/Langkawi/ etc etc

I know a lot of Malaysians and they'll stick with MH (national pride) especially if they are a bit cheaper. BA will need to invest in a serious supplier of Satays to win them over. Their A380 is comfortable from what I hear, and I doubt that BA's F (or J) will be better than MH. BA will offer WTP which is not otherwise available.

In any event, good to see BA doing something non-TATL.

Happy days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.