Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scottish Secession and BA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Calchas
The aberration stems from the fact that you are a British citizen, and thus an EU citizen. Your passport has a fancy cover but underneath it is (nearly) the same passport as a British citizen UK resident's passport.

Being an EU citizen does not grant you freedom of movement rights automatically and your passport may or may not be endorsed with that fact. If you or your parent has some connection with the UK you will be considered a "full" EU citizen and your passport will not be so endorsed.

If you were, for instance, a British subject, a British Protected Person, a British National, a British National (overseas), you would not be an EU citizen by virtue of those categories of citizenship. As such, your passport would look something more like this---
http://prado.consilium.europa.eu/en/...ge_170867.html
Interesting site. Thanks for that link.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
I say this half in banter, but I think it is fitting to the post..... Does anyone remember 'Air Scotland'? A couple of clapped out 757's operating under an 'Air Greece' AOC and serving up some soggy fish and chips, finally impounded at Glasgow after failing to pay landing fees. A sorry affair!

FlyGlobespan faired quite a lot better (my ex was high up with them so I know some of the background) but ultimately failed due to funds not reaching them through a third party credit agency who had been lying through their teeth and, IMO, also a hugely costly and over complex fleet and over ambitious / often changing route structure from far too many bases across the UK. If they had stuck to profitable Intra European routes with a base fleet of 737's I recon they would still be around - they had quite a following out of GLA, EDI and even ABZ.

Should tomorrow be a 'YES' then I hope we don't become underserved out of Scotland. Worth keeping in mind, too, for us and also all the great BA flight and cabin crew who commute from up here, that an introduction of Club on these routes could mean a decrease in capacity on routes which are already jammed to the rafters after the sale of BMI - indeed when BMI used two class aircraft on these routes, I remember sitting in 2X3 config. business class back at row 11 on an A320. Now BA CE config. is 2X2, that could mean a reduction of 22 seats on a 320 if Club went back that far...
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Its rare that the majority of bookies gets something wrong:

http://www.cityam.com/1410942678/sco...nge-their-odds
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyingscotsman
Does anyone remember 'Air Scotland'?
Yes we flew with them to ATH and back on their 757 part of a last minute cheap as chips flight and 7 nights half board hotel package....£160 each IIRC.
Despite wondering what horrors lay in wait for us apart from a couple of hours delay on the way back the flight and accommodation on Evia island surpassed our expectations.

They went tits up not long after that so we were lucky.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes we flew with them to ATH and back on their 757 part of a last minute cheap as chips flight and 7 nights half board hotel package....£160 each IIRC.
Despite wondering what horrors lay in wait for us apart from a couple of hours delay on the way back the flight and accommodation on Evia island surpassed our expectations.

They went tits up not long after that so we were lucky.
Thanks, everyone. Your thoughts were helpful for understanding this vote.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Remember that Scottish citizens won't have access to the EU passport lines at LHR, so the choice will become train (with stupid eurostar style security) and a fairly smooth passport process, and flying, with a terrible passport process on arrival at LHR.

Returns from long haul to GLA via LHR will be easier though, with fast track available as an international connection.

If they do sort out the trains properly, with onboard passport checks, perhaps they could roll the checks out to Europe too, and run some proper services through the tunnel.
I see no logical reason why they'd stop using the EU line. While we will probably have a border, presumably Scots would retain indefinite visa-free access to the UK until theyre back in the EU.

Its not immigration stopping new services through the tunnel, its that nòne of the continental operators have trains that meet the safety standards imposed on tunnel traffic.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Irish have their own immigration policy within the CTA, as the Scots could have too.
Ireland has an almost identical policy and has been forced to change it at least once to my knowledge to mirror UK changes otherwise it would have been removed from the CTA.

Originally Posted by paulwuk
What I am against is Cameron (and Clegg and the other one) selling out,promising even more concessions to one part of the UK that others don't get, as a bribe against Scotland leaving.

We're either a single, united country, or we're not. Cameron The Traitor wants a single, two-tier country, and that's not on.

But my opinion doesn't matter, UKIP is the only party that hasn't come out with a bribe-agenda. Perhaps they'll win the next election.

Regardless of anyone's opinions here, or in the UK, or in Scotland, about 50% of Scotland are going to be very upset on Friday morning.
Thats incredibly unfair... I highly doubt either of them actually want Scotland to have more powers, they merely view it as a necessary compromise. Despite the incessant whinging from the English about devolution (including me!), very few people seem to actually care!

Last edited by callum9999; Sep 17, 2014 at 9:01 pm Reason: .
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:34 pm

If Scotland becomes independent , will BA lose pilots who become foreigners?

Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by ThomasSmrs
Eh? Are you suggesting that BA only employ British pilots? I think you'll find thats against a few European rules.

And can the mods combine all the "If Scotland..." questions into one please.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Eh? Are you suggesting that BA only employ British pilots? I think you'll find thats against a few European rules.

And can the mods combine all the "If Scotland..." questions into one please.
Since Scotland will not be in the EU for several year(if ever), do EU rules even apply to the hiring of non-EU pilots on BA?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:59 pm

Not worth it.

Last edited by Paralytic; Sep 17, 2014 at 11:07 pm
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by callum9999
I see no logical reason why they'd stop using the EU line. While we will probably have a border, presumably Scots would retain indefinite visa-free access to the UK until theyre back in the EU.

Its not immigration stopping new services through the tunnel, its that nòne of the continental operators have trains that meet the safety standards imposed on tunnel traffic.
IOM and Jersey aren't part of EU and don't have to use the non-EU line. Cannot imagine that they'd have to join the Americans etc.

Originally Posted by ThomasSmrs
lots of foreign pilots work for BA.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I love Scotland. I love the rest of the UK.
I think we are better together, that the product of our nation is greater than the mere sum of its parts. I am proud when I see BA fly our flag across the world.

I voted about 20mins ago.

But I think the only real loser today will be apathy and that when a whole generation is politicised, taking an interest in and caring about how we are governed, taking a stand on issues such as social justice and economic freedom, we will reap the rewards for many years.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Many people in the UK (not just Scotland) already see the UK as a two-tier country. There is a perception that the UK is governed by the South East, for the South East. That perception, rightly or wrongly, is a driver behind a large number of Yes voters.

Once Scotland leaves, the UK will finally be free to discuss reunification with the United States. My vote is for a united UK and US as one country. Number one reason will be the elimination of long immigration lines for Americans arriving at Heathrow.(since it will become a domestic flight)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.