Wiki Posts
Search

Scottish Secession and BA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by theultimateflyer
Will we see Club Europe on UK - Scotland routes?
You beat me to it!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by martyndavid
APD may be lowered in the event of a yes vote. More importantly, will EDI and GLA have the great ex EU fares that are often available from DUB (for example)?
A possible reduction of APD is NOT a direct consequence of a YES vote. Just as it won't automatically lead to a change the rate of income tax or VAT.

It is SNP policy to reduce APD and they would have to win the 2016 Scottish Parliament elections to be able implement it.

Another party could win that election (or a future election) and decide not to reduce APD, halve it or even double it or some other mechanism to raise revenue.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think the biggest impact on BA isn't the small fry like APD, Club Europe, VAT changes, however long it takes Scotland to join the EU, security issues, or even Schengen. My view is that this all pails into insignificance compared to the general inter-operability of the UK, with all its business, family, cultural, social ties. If this changes in any fundamental way, that will have the longer term impact on BA's ability to run the current very high level of services to GLA, ABZ and EDI.

I am very biased, I have spent every spare minute this week telephone canvassing for Better Together, and I've got a heap load more numbers to call this evening. Anyone in the vicinity of Heathrow is welcome to PM me if they want to help. Those living in Dumbarton will be getting the CWS treatment tonight! However yesterday I was allocated Paisley, home to a lot of workers at Glasgow Airport. Those who worked at the airport were among those most concerned about the airport's viability in the medium and long term.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Duplicated
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hillrider
If it secedes, you will have to be "security" rescreened when connecting in LHR T5 when arriving from Scotland.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. The airports, BA, VS and the other airlines taking feed from Scottish airports are well positioned to make change slow, unlikely or at least interrupt it at some point if they really care not to jump on a bandwagon and behave like a baby throwing their toys out of the pram just because a vote went a different way than the cuddly child wanted.

If all behave like amicable adults, there is noting to stop a fast track implementation of keeping Scotland in the CTA regardless of which way the vote goes.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 17, 2014 at 6:08 am
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I wouldn't be so sure about that. The airports, BA, VS and the other airlines taking feed from Scottish airports are well positioned to make change slow, unlikely or at least interrupt it at some point if they really care not to jump on a bandwagon and behave like a baby throwing their toys out of the pram just because a vote went a different way than the cuddly child wanted.
But security isn't up to the airlines is it? Policy laid down by the government (be it Scottish or the remaining UK) and implemented by the airports.
If Westminster says all transfer passengers from Scotland go through security, Heathrow and Gatwick say "yes, master" and BA & VS have to put up with the consequences.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
If an independent Scotland removed APD, should BA move their long-haul flight operations to Edinburgh.

Well, BA have not moved long-haul operations to Madrid as yet (and they do have a massive airport) or to Belfast where there is already no APD.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Originally Posted by KenJohn
... Belfast where there is already no APD.
Sadly not the case, except for limited exceptions on direct flights to the USA.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Andy33
But security isn't up to the airlines is it? Policy laid down by the government (be it Scottish or the remaining UK) and implemented by the airports.
If Westminster says all transfer passengers from Scotland go through security, Heathrow and Gatwick say "yes, master" and BA & VS have to put up with the consequences.
That only happens if Westminster wants to behave like a baby throwing its toys out of its pram. They can either be sensible about respecting self-determination choices or they can behave like a tantrum-throwing tot.

The lobbying clout of the airlines and airport shouldn't be underestimated when money is on the table. Look at the "war on water" at airports. Duty free-liquor and perfume bottles that are well over 100ml are allowed to clear transit security in a duty-free shopping bag even if the aggregate LGAs are in excess of a liter -- all while a bottle of tap water without a sealed duty free bag is subject to disposal/confiscation at the screening checkpoint.

Originally Posted by oscietra
Air Scotia safety demo:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qumWbMP1ygA
Some sitcoms aren't always forgotten.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Scottish Secession and BA?

Rebranding scenario: Westminster vetoes a currency union, in reply Edinburgh, representing one third of the land mass of Great Britain, vetoes continuing use of 'British Airways'. The airline now domiciled in Former UK becomes FUKair.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:46 am

It will certainly have an impact on BA's pension deficit - schemes which are "cross border" in the EEA must be fully funded unlike single state schemes. The impact of this on many UK business could be massive if they employ workers permanently in Scotland and have a DB scheme.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Louisebook
It will certainly have an impact on BA's pension deficit - schemes which are "cross border" in the EEA must be fully funded unlike single state schemes. The impact of this on many UK business could be massive if they employ workers permanently in Scotland and have a DB scheme.
How many BA staff really are employed to work in Scotland, though?
There's the Airbus maintenance facility at GLA, but aren't the pilots and cabin crews officially based at LHR, LGW or LCY, irrespective of where they might choose to live? (OK I know about the International Cabin Crew bases in places like SIN, but they don't fly to Scotland).
And the ground staff in Scotland were all outsourced to handling companies some time ago.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think the biggest impact on BA isn't the small fry like APD, Club Europe, VAT changes, however long it takes Scotland to join the EU, security issues, or even Schengen. My view is that this all pails into insignificance compared to the general inter-operability of the UK, with all its business, family, cultural, social ties. If this changes in any fundamental way, that will have the longer term impact on BA's ability to run the current very high level of services to GLA, ABZ and EDI.

I am very biased, I have spent every spare minute this week telephone canvassing for Better Together, and I've got a heap load more numbers to call this evening. Anyone in the vicinity of Heathrow is welcome to PM me if they want to help. Those living in Dumbarton will be getting the CWS treatment tonight! However yesterday I was allocated Paisley, home to a lot of workers at Glasgow Airport. Those who worked at the airport were among those most concerned about the airport's viability in the medium and long term.
I don't understand your rationale? Why would the implementation of a border in any way diminish air travel between the UK and Scotland?

If SNP get their way and we and up having to build a physical border between Scotland and the UK (either because they change their immigration policies or are forced to join Schengen) then surely it would make air travel even more attractive as train and road transport will then have border formalities to make them more of a hassle.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If all behave like amicable adults, there is noting to stop a fast track implementation of keeping Scotland in the CTA regardless of which way the vote goes.
Of course there is. Scotland can't be in the CTA if the SNP changes the immigration policy as SNP wants it, or they must join Schengen, as is looking increasingly likely.

And I must say, the incessant characterisation by the Yes camp of any negative pointed out by anyone as being child-like, throwing toys out of the pram, scaremongering or the hilarious "bullying" accusations has been one of the more odious aspects of the campaign (and have made me change my mind from no to yes (as a non Scot) just so we can get rid of it all!).
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by handspring088
Hi!

this seems like a huge deal.
well yes and no - despite the media hype and politicians panicking - the bookies have priced in an 80% chance of a no vote. One has actually paid out already on a no vote.

Bookies aren't often THAT wrong, so in the end a reasonably comfortable no vote is on the cards - so no impact on BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.