Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's year of enhancements

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
I can't say that anything on that list bothers me in the slightest.

On the contrary, things have generally improved in recent periods:
1. Fast track at EDI and a great new lounge in EDI
2. Scrapping of the night flight to LCA
3. Greater frequencies to AMS, EDI and others
4. Good food in the Flounge
5. Extra "Jokers"
6. Extended GGL call centre hours
7. Great MF experiences.

I can't think of anything that has deteriorated, putting aside the T1 experience and the A321s with their horrid inflatable seats - both of which I detest.
The food in GF is by no means 'good' and certainly hasn't improved in the last year or two.

But, otherwise, maybe benefits for GGL have improved - paid for by us in the 'cheaper' seats/tiers.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by bafan
The food in GF is by no means 'good' and certainly hasn't improved in the last year or two.
It depends on your timescale - It's certainly better now than at the point that BaxterStorey took over.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MrSimonR
I can't think of anything that has deteriorated,
Strange how regular flyers like yourself think that yet others see nothing but gloom and doom.

Interestingly I have a receipt from 14 years ago for a discounted return ticket from GLA-MAD. It cost £160 in those days yet today I can buy the same ticket for £157. No idea what difference the ET offering is on the MAD route now compared to back then but it won't be that much different. At least now everyone can earn a minimum 100% Avios I used to get nothing.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It depends on your timescale - It's certainly better now than at the point that BaxterStorey took over.
Indeed. It is much better than the gloop that once appeared.

For me the Flounge Fayre is good - I can get a decent bite if I am in a hurry or feed the family as there's something for everyone. Fine dining it is not, neither does it need to be.

Mackerel and salad, chicken pie and salads or spicy chicken and rice are all very decent.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Chris9642
The removal of the self service machines at NCL was because the new software couldn't be applied to them - an entirely new hardware is required i.e. new machines and its not cost effective at this point - I guess the same applies to other regional airports that have seen removal of the machines over the past 2 years.

C
Does anyone use these? I just use mobile boarding passes for BA and Finnair, dead easy.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by phol
I couldn't care less about most of those whilst BA is still peddling those knackered old 747s around the globe with their outdated cabins. Priorities.

(Thankfully there are some modern aircraft arriving now to address the first point, and a new CW/F in the works)
Having said that, upper deck CW on the 747 beats CW on the A380 in every respect apart from the IFE. And who doesn't travel with an iPad these days anyway!?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Chris9642
The removal of the self service machines at NCL was because the new software couldn't be applied to them - an entirely new hardware is required i.e. new machines and its not cost effective at this point - I guess the same applies to other regional airports that have seen removal of the machines over the past 2 years.

C
Are you serious? Will anyone remove his/her computer/phone/tablet and live without as soon as new software updates cannot be uploaded any more. I guess everyone will invest in new and more recent hardware. Not investing in new technology is the beginning of the end.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by patvan
Are you serious? Will anyone remove his/her computer/phone/tablet and live without as soon as new software updates cannot be uploaded any more. I guess everyone will invest in new and more recent hardware. Not investing in new technology is the beginning of the end.
But the investment in "new technology" you speak of has already been done. Mobile BPs and PYOBP have pretty much eliminated the need for these machines, and the fringe group of people without either a smartphone or access to a printer can still grab their BP from a desk free of charge.

There have been many "enhancements" this year but I would absolutely not count this as one of them.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I for one am looking forward to when I can beep through the automated gates at T5 just by waving my Apple Watch, without the inconvenience of getting my phone out of my pocket, swiping to get the BP, holding it the right way up and so on.

Only problem is the readers are on the right and most people wear their watches on the left - as with the tube a classic rewrite of the ergonomics rules could be required!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by paul4040
Does anyone use these? I just use mobile boarding passes for BA and Finnair, dead easy.
Always a few people using them at T5.

I, having used mobile BPs for quite a while, have reverted to printed ones on the whole.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
Originally Posted by BahrainLad

A more accurate statement would be "the ET product has changed significantly in the last 20 years including the food offering on all routes, now offers severe delays if it so much as rains, rationed alcoholic beverages especially from Gatwick, 29" charter airline pitch, and can't really decide whether it's chasing all revenue at even the lowest price or pretends it's a premium product because it's got a snazzy Speedmarque at the front of the cabin and heroin-chic blue lighting."
^
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by SteveF
Is that it? I don't think many customers will give a hoot about any of them. I certainly don't.
If you are affected by them regularly, you might e.g. INT-DOM connections, Ryanairesque refit of the SH fleet and variable food quality in the lounges.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
BA's year of enhancements

My favourite change was the additional 3 flights to CPT for this summer. This has now been enhanced down to 9 all on 3 class planes from May 2015, but they have extended the 43/42 rotation until the end of April, which is a plus

So some positive changes
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
Originally Posted by IMH
BAEC is unique in offering a route to meaningful status for relatively infrequent flyers.
Nope. Aegean (A3) probably wins the award for that one. Of course Star Alliance Gold is no where near oneworld emerald (BA Gold) but I'd say A3*G is significantly easier to get than BA silver.

Then again I think the 5000 TP to get CCR is an excellent deal, still requires a lot of flying but I think it can be done easier than things like LH HON.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
And who doesn't travel with an iPad these days anyway!?
Me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.