Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Farewell LHR Terminal 1 from Noniron

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BMABEL
I don't know when the Terminal is closing but I think the DUB and BHD flights migrate to T5 at the end of October.
T1 has roughly another year of life for passengers. BA move out BHD/DUB in October and the rest of their flights in summer next year.

From the end of October this year, only BA, Icelandair, EL AL and TAM will be left in T1, so it will be a ghost town.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:20 pm

One last Fri in T1, usual chaotic scenes. Both the BHD and DUB creeping delays due to crew delays coming over from T5. Those who don't have lounge access have no longer got a shop or cafe to access. Very poor.

On a positive note, those travelling in Club World to Belfast can now board
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Those who don't have lounge access have no longer got a shop or cafe to access. Very poor.
Isn't the Costa still open on Pier 4, or has that closed now? Nothing stopping passengers bringing something through from the main departure lounge.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Genius1
Isn't the Costa still open on Pier 4, or has that closed now? Nothing stopping passengers bringing something through from the main departure lounge.
Assuming the Costa is now closed then passengers need to know about the lack of facilities before going through the photo check. Has HAL invested in a sign?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:01 am

Its been closed for at least 2 months.

Last nights flights were suffering creeping delays, so people didn't know they'd be at the gate 60-90 mins longer than they thought they would.
Originally Posted by layz
Assuming the Costa is now closed then passengers need to know about the lack of facilities before going through the photo check. Has HAL invested in a sign?
There is a sign, but that's missing the point. The passengers presumably went to the gate when it said "go to gate", which was at the normal time. The gate staff didn't have a clue what was going on, simply that the crew had been delayed and were on the way from T5.

Last edited by Kgmm77; Oct 4, 2014 at 7:08 am
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last nights flights were suffering creeping delays, so people didn't know they'd be at the gate 60-90 mins longer than they thought they would. They presumably went to the gate when it said "go to gate". The gate staff didn't have a clue what was going on, simply that the crew had been delayed and were on the way from T5.
There were delays due to fog yesterday which I imagine displaced aircraft and delayed crews.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:12 am

There were delays due to fog yesterday which I imagine displaced aircraft and delayed crews.
There was fog for 2 hours approx 9-10 hours before my flight. Leaving aside whether that's reason enough for a a 90min delay (not in my book), the 30 min delay that showed in the BA app had disappeared by mid afternoon, with an on time departure expected until 1 hour before departure when the delay crept up in 10 min increments every 15mins.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
There was fog for 2 hours approx 9-10 hours before my flight. Leaving aside whether that's reason enough for a a 90min delay (not in my book), the 30 min delay that showed in the BA app had disappeared by mid afternoon, with an on time departure expected until 1 hour before departure when the delay crept up in 10 min increments every 15mins.
There were many delays to flights from T5 as well yesterday even late in the evening.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC GCL
The 1424 was cancelled on Friday. I was switched to the 1430 and waited in the lounge with the board indicating a Gate 8 departure. There were no other planes waiting there. So yet again it bemused me why at the last minute they switch the 1430, which was an incoming Dublin flight, to gate 77 and we all have to trek down the green mile. I spoke to a BA staff member last weekend about these switches and she volunteered that these switches bemuse the BA staff too, particularly as Virgin have long since departed to T2.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was fog for 2 hours approx 9-10 hours before my flight. Leaving aside whether that's reason enough for a a 90min delay (not in my book)
A 2 hour delay in the morning typically has a 2 hour schedule impact for the rest of the day. The fact that your delay was 90 minutes means that the aircraft and/or crew scheduled for your flight made up 30 minutes during the day.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:39 pm

A 2 hour delay in the morning typically has a 2 hour schedule impact for the rest of the day. The fact that your delay was 90 minutes means that the aircraft and/or crew scheduled for your flight made up 30 minutes during the day.
you are completely missing the point.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Key point being it's T1 and BA couldn't give a stuff. T5 yes, T3 sort of, T1 "we moved out in 2008 remember?" Ahem.....
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Last Friday was my last outbound from T1, and today will be my last inbound. It was nice leaving on Friday as there were about 5 Mods all going to Dublin with me for the meeting yesterday.
I shall be coming home on my own today and hope to catch a few pics on the way through to the terminal.

It was empty on Friday, a number of shops are boarded up already. It is sort of sad to walk past what was once the BA lounge where I spent so many 'happy' hours when the domestic flights were there.

We had the trek to the Green Mile also, and I bet I get to trek back from it today.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by BMABEL
The 1424 was cancelled on Friday. I was switched to the 1430 and waited in the lounge with the board indicating a Gate 8 departure. There were no other planes waiting there. So yet again it bemused me why at the last minute they switch the 1430, which was an incoming Dublin flight, to gate 77 and we all have to trek down the green mile. I spoke to a BA staff member last weekend about these switches and she volunteered that these switches bemuse the BA staff too, particularly as Virgin have long since departed to T2.
Dublin flights are not allowed to arrive into gate 8, they must always arrive from 77 up. If they come into any other gate then the customers must be coached in. This is the reason why the departure is then from those gates. Also, I believe Heathrow has already taken steps to decommission some of the gates in the gate 8, which is why they are not in use.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: BAEC GCL
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
Dublin flights are not allowed to arrive into gate 8, they must always arrive from 77 up. If they come into any other gate then the customers must be coached in. This is the reason why the departure is then from those gates. Also, I believe Heathrow has already taken steps to decommission some of the gates in the gate 8, which is why they are not in use.
Thanks SpeedbirdLHR I understand and I expect I would be equally miffed if I had arrived from DUB and then had to be coached but it still leaves BA info lacking as they must have known in advance that the 1430 was going to be a 77+ gate departure. Anyhow, not much longer now, I have only got 2 more T1 departures left.

Interesting to hear about the Heathrow Gate 8 decommissioning. By way of an interim update, as of yesterday evening, at least 3 of the Gate 8 piers were still in use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.