Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Farewell LHR Terminal 1 from Noniron

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Yep, that was it. It wasn't you giving the gate staff an earful was it?
Nope, not guilty this time. The most annoying aspect was when the gate details changed.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
I had my final one back to DUB last Friday and very thoughtfully, BA provided an "interesting" boarding experience....

I was in the lounge and the monitors showed the usual "Wait in Gate 8". No more info appeared until about 30 mins before departure. From where I was sitting I could just make out that the display had changed to "Go to Gate X" so I gathered up my stuff and headed out through the back door to find Gate 8 area practically deserted. Took a look at a monitor out there and of course it said "Boarding Gate 78" :roll eyes:

Cue the mile dash and by the time I reached 78 monitors said "Flight Closing". There were a few people still queuing so I slowed to a walk. Now the fun bit... BP's and PP's were duly checked and off to the airbridge only to be met with a barrier blocking the way and being sent down the emergency stairs. Waiting outside was a bus which took us on a little sightseeing trip to, yes you guessed it, Gate 8 . Back up emergency stairs and onto the airbridge to board.

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry.....
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GCL
Originally Posted by ToFlyToDrink
I had my final one back to DUB last Friday and very thoughtfully, BA provided an "interesting" boarding experience....

I was in the lounge and the monitors showed the usual "Wait in Gate 8". No more info appeared until about 30 mins before departure. From where I was sitting I could just make out that the display had changed to "Go to Gate X" so I gathered up my stuff and headed out through the back door to find Gate 8 area practically deserted. Took a look at a monitor out there and of course it said "Boarding Gate 78" :roll eyes:

Cue the mile dash and by the time I reached 78 monitors said "Flight Closing". There were a few people still queuing so I slowed to a walk. Now the fun bit... BP's and PP's were duly checked and off to the airbridge only to be met with a barrier blocking the way and being sent down the emergency stairs. Waiting outside was a bus which took us on a little sightseeing trip to, yes you guessed it, Gate 8 . Back up emergency stairs and onto the airbridge to board.

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry.....
That's just nuts.

I hope it's not a sign of things to come for the remaining 6 weeks. I still have a handful of BHD's to endure from Gate 8 or maybe more likely at the end of the tubes.

I'm not nostalgic about T1 going but the two remaining LHR based ex BMI A319's still remind me of my old BD80/91 day trips to BHD when my current project started. Only two of those scheduled on my remaining trips.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have only only flown from T1 once and I have every sympathy for the regulars there. If I never went back there again (extremely likely now) it would be too soon. The sooner it is pulled down the better.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
Last night I used T1 for the first (and presumably last) time. Happened to be the final VS departure from the terminal before their move to T2 this morning; Little Red to MAN.

Obviously T5 is far nicer, but the T1 central area was fairly pleasant and had some decent shops. If LHR had more slots it would make a good base for a LCC.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by acf2310
Obviously T5 is far nicer, but the T1 central area was fairly pleasant and had some decent shops. If LHR had more slots it would make a good base for a LCC.
If they did that then they'd not be able to carry out their plan of knocking it down and extending T2 into the space that it occupies.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:14 am

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by Speedbird876
Re experience of Kgmm77 and MickV:

This is to get you through the ID check and I suppose up to Costa Coffee to spend your money.
What will happen to the old secondary ID check for flights to Ireland from T5. Will this still happen, and if so - where?

It always seemed a bit pointless to me.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
What will happen to the old secondary ID check for flights to Ireland from T5. Will this still happen, and if so - where?
Should be checked at the gate like all other non UK domestic flights.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
I may be wrong, but I think BA and El Al will have the whole of T1 to themselves come the end of October. Can't be long now until they announce plans to vacate?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Gold,, Hilton HHonors Gold
When is the terminal closing? My BA flight to DUB on 26 Sep still shows departing from T1.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC GCL
Originally Posted by blindy
When is the terminal closing? My BA flight to DUB on 26 Sep still shows departing from T1.

I don't know when the Terminal is closing but I think the DUB and BHD flights migrate to T5 at the end of October.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: LH SEN
Such fond memories (not really) of the Green Mile since I started working in the early 90s, and connecting to and from there to all of the other terminals over the years. The random gate selection/changes/delays go back to my BD days and EI have been a bit like that too.

In recent years I've been doing a lot more T5, and I'm looking forward to DUB-LHR being based in T5, makes it good option to connect in LHR on the way back to the ould sod.

This picture was taken in April 2012 - but this was not always the sentiment.

Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
I may be wrong, but I think BA and El Al will have the whole of T1 to themselves come the end of October. Can't be long now until they announce plans to vacate?
Changeover day for BHD and DUB is Sunday 28 October (winter timetable start date)
I think 9 BA routes will remain in T1, along with El Al and Icelandair, for at least part of the winter.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Gold,, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BMABEL
I don't know when the Terminal is closing but I think the DUB and BHD flights migrate to T5 at the end of October.
Thank you. I guess I can look forward to some half decent breakfast in the lounge for my early morning flights to DUB in November.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
This will be very sad indeed. I have made this trip myself many a time and will be doing so for the last time in 2 weeks.

Not having to connect to T5 is most welcome.

On a different note - any silver/gold status holders based in NI ever consider adding their details to the lounge meet up thread. BHD doesn't get enough of a mention

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.