Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Combining HBO fare with non-HBO. How?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
Combining HBO fare with non-HBO. How?

Looking at booking a couple of short haul trips for my better half (BAEC Silver) and our family where for the 4 of them we only need 1 hold bag.

I would like to book 3 of them in an HBO Y fare, and my wife in a traditional fare, in order to save having all of them paying the normal baggage fare they do not need.

Is there any way I can group their reservation / try to seat them together after booking, bearing in mind none of them is Gold? Or can I only end up with 2 separate booking with the risk they are not seated together?

Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Easiest option for 4 people with one bag, book 4 HBO fares and then pay the bag fee for one bag (do this in MMB).

Still works out cheaper than booking everyone with a baggage allowance and means all the bookings are linked.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
There is no guarantee that four people on one booking (PNR) can be seated together without seat payment. Two bookings do not result in any difference to one booking with regards seating. Without payment, you still have to same dash to select seats at check-in. Helps if you have two laptops side by side to select seats at the same time for the two bookings.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:51 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by layz
Easiest option for 4 people with one bag, book 4 HBO fares and then pay the bag fee for one bag (do this in MMB).

Still works out cheaper than booking everyone with a baggage allowance and means all the bookings are linked.
^
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:02 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by KenJohn
There is no guarantee that four people on one booking (PNR) can be seated together without seat payment..
Why not? He is Gold and can reserve seats for all passengers in PNR. At least its always been that way for me.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Mattyb44
Why not? He is Gold and can reserve seats for all passengers in PNR. At least its always been that way for me.
If the Gold member is travelling on the same flight, which is not the case here.

Originally Posted by Gold77
Looking at booking a couple of short haul trips for my better half (BAEC Silver) and our family where for the 4 of them we only need 1 hold bag.

I would like to book 3 of them in an HBO Y fare, and my wife in a traditional fare, in order to save having all of them paying the normal baggage fare they do not need.

Is there any way I can group their reservation / try to seat them together after booking, bearing in mind none of them is Gold? Or can I only end up with 2 separate booking with the risk they are not seated together?

Thanks.
On shorthaul I doubt it that they won't be able to find 4 seats together if they check-in at T-24. However, I would do what layz suggested.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:44 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by Andriyko
If the Gold member is travelling on the same flight, which is not the case here.

On shorthaul I doubt it that they won't be able to find 4 seats together if they check-in at T-24. However, I would do what layz suggested.
I misread, my apologies. But his wife is silver, so can also reserve the 4 seats at the time of booking!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I did this yesterday for the two of us, both Silver. One person's baggage allowance is more than enough for us so booking one 'normal' and one HBO seemed ideal. The £30 difference in fares was persuasive.

Even booking one on Chrome and one on Firefox, logged in separately as Mrs Roger and me, backfired! We ended up with two 'normal' reservations.

I then booked an HBO fare for one of us and cancelled one of the 'normal' reservations using the 24-hour opportunity. A long way round. Unfortunately I didn't see layz's advice first. And keeping both on one PNR is more practical than two PNRs.

Next time I'll know. Thanks layz.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Mattyb44
I misread, my apologies. But his wife is silver, so can also reserve the 4 seats at the time of booking!
If they decide to make 2 bookings then Silver won't be of any use to pre-assign seats (for free) for the other three passengers. Which is why it is best to make one booking, make use of the Silver status to pre-assign seats together for all four passengers and pay the bag fee. The only alternative (if they do not want to pay for either the bag or the seats) they could wait until OLCI to see if there are 4 seats left together.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Many thanks. I did not realise you can buy luggage allowance on an HBO fare. Will do that.

Last edited by Gold77; Sep 3, 2014 at 5:16 am
Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Sorry for the slightly OT post-scriptum but I do not want to re-start the same thread on the LX forum as I suspect the BAEC readership will know the answer anyway:
Same question for Swiss. When I do a dummy booking in HBO fare it says I can add luggage later in their MMB equivalent by rebooking myself in the non-HBO fare. I suspect, given airlines do not allow different fares on a single booking, that it will then rebook the entire family on the non-HBO fare rather than one person only, negating any price advantage. Anyone has any experience of LX HBO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.