Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

If one person on a two person booking doesn't fly....

Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE

will the return journey for the one that does fly still be valid?

I've booked my son and his friend a return flight for this week. She is unable to fly. What's the best course of action? I can't seem to cancel just the one person online - so if I do nothing he will at least have an empty seat next to him to spread out into.

But I'm worried that the whole return booking will be cancelled.

Any advice please?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:37 am

he won't neccisarily have an empty seat next to him. The other passenger would need to checkin for that.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tim1975
he won't neccisarily have an empty seat next to him. The other passenger would need to checkin for that.
Yep, considered that, and as it's an exit seat it's probably nailed on.

What about the return journey? Will he be ok?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
If the outward segment isn't used, the return will automatically cancel.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:47 am

Call up and ask for the PNR to be split then, instead of one booking for 2 people, it becomes 2 bookings each for one person.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Assuming that it isn't a special fare ( such as a 2 for 1 ) , then it is quite ok to cancel one booking whilst leaving the other fully intact
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Cassie55
This hasn't answered the OP's question - what happens to the passenger who does fly?

Yes you could call up and split the PNRs but what if you don't? Would be useful to know.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Cassie55
Well no this isn't true. I had 6 people on the same PNR going to LCY - AMS and one person didnt show up on the day of the flight. Had no issue really.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Sorry, I misunderstood the question.

The PNR will be split 'internally' if one passenger checks in and one doesn't.

The return segments of the one who travelled will not be affected.

However, BA would be able to manually split the PNR either in advance or at check in.

Last edited by Cassie55; Sep 2, 2014 at 5:00 am
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
As said above call up and ask them to split the ticket. That way in the eyes of the computer the two bookings won't be linked together. It should be fine and not cancel if the other traveller doesn't show but I would definitely split the PNR to be on the safe side.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidrr16
As said above call up and ask them to split the ticket. That way in the eyes of the computer the two bookings won't be linked together. It should be fine and not cancel if the other traveller doesn't show but I would definitely split the PNR to be on the safe side.
Might be an issue.

My son's on the household account but she's not.

I booked the flights on my credit card when logged into my account.

I think I'll get him to explain the situation at check-in and, as cassie says, ask them to split them there and then.

Couldn't care less about refunds etc, I just don't want any mess up that can be avoided.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:47 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
I once flew solo on a 2 person booking after my companion just flat out didn't turn up - he only texted to say he wasn't coming at around T-45 (I was already in the lounge at T5). I don't recall if my seat was empty but the return booking worked just fine.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Might be an issue.

My son's on the household account but she's not.

I booked the flights on my credit card when logged into my account.

I think I'll get him to explain the situation at check-in and, as cassie says, ask them to split them there and then.

Couldn't care less about refunds etc, I just don't want any mess up that can be avoided.
I see no issue (unless it's a 2-4-1 and he's not the voucher holder). You can call and ask to split if you have time on your hands, but equally you can do absolutely nothing, the outbound and return will both work without further effort, the return for the friend will be automatically cancelled after the outbound flight has been closed up, but that seems to be fine by you, and your son is not impacted either way. BA's ticketing IT isn't brilliant, by the way.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I see no issue (unless it's a 2-4-1 and he's not the voucher holder). You can call and ask to split if you have time on your hands, but equally you can do absolutely nothing, the outbound and return will both work without further effort, the return for the friend will be automatically cancelled after the outbound flight has been closed up, but that seems to be fine by you, and your son is not impacted either way. BA's ticketing IT isn't brilliant, by the way.
Thank you - much appreciated.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Thank you - much appreciated.
Gosh - we must have similar sons

I had exactly the same issue last week - tickets for him and his friend, paid on my credit card, she couldn't fly (or rather didn't want to anymore ).

We didn't do anything. He just checked himself in online, and flew both out and return without problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.