Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Removal of self check in machines at GLA and ABZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:37 am
Original Poster

I know this is not recent to this has presumably been covered before, but when everyone is moving to more automation, why were these removed?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Less need.

People can print at home (hate it) or use the apps.

As there's no boarding pass reissue fee (like on Ryanair) those that can't do either can pick one up at a desk.

I believe the Glasgow ones were originally removed when they were replacing floor tiles but they've stayed away. They're also removed from NCL.

Looks like the maintenance costs of these machines were higher than the cost of printing a few boarding passes at the desk manually.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:49 am
Original Poster

OK... so they have joined telephone check-in in the redundant innovations box
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Leavinglondon
OK... so they have joined telephone check-in in the redundant innovations box
I use my phone to check in all the time.... oh, you mean actually calling a number to check in. Did BA ever offer this? I know bmi did but never seen the point (as online check-in was an option too).

I suspect they'll still retain the machines at their hub airports and probably their longhaul outstations for some time to come.

Another thing that is disappearing from our regional airports is dedicated ticket desks. Now (at NCL and MAN at least, I mostly HBO on domestics now so may have changed) the ticket counters have been replaced by a single customer services desk usually located between the regular check-in counters and the premium one.

I hate PYOBP as I don't want to carry a folded up bit of A4. I'm fine with the app as long as I have enough charge. If I am dropping a bag I ask them to print real boarding passes.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by layz
.... oh, you mean actually calling a number to check in. Did BA ever offer this? I know bmi did but never seen the point (as online check-in was an option too).

I suspect they'll still retain the machines at their hub airports and probably their longhaul outstations for some time to come.
BA did offer a call up telephone check in though this stopped in the early 2000s..... not sure whether on line check in was an option then... it may have been but I doubt it was when the phone in service was first introduced

Would seem odd not to retain the machines at the hubs (where there are the benefits of economies of scale) not least as other airlines use and are even extending to printing of luggage tags.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Leavinglondon
BA did offer a call up telephone check in though this stopped in the early 2000s..... not sure whether on line check in was an option then... it may have been but I doubt it was when the phone in service was first introduced

Would seem odd not to retain the machines at the hubs (where there are the benefits of economies of scale) not least as other airlines use and are even extending to printing of luggage tags.
Sounds like BA stopped telephone check-in when it made sense to (once online check-in was established and accessible to most). bmi kept it around much longer (it was there when I took my first bmi flight in 2008).

No fan of self bag tagging but c-w-s has convinced me of the advantages of HBO so I don't even know whether the machines in T5 print bag tags (although I know LGW, LCY and LHR T1, T3 do). I'm not 100% HBO but I'm probably about HBO 75% of the time now.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: BA GfL
I don't know if this is 100% correct, but the last time I flew out of ABZ I asked at the BA desk why the machines had gone.

The agent replied that ABZ was moving to shared auto-kiosks (i.e. shared by all of the airlines) and BA were not willing to pay the fees.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Looks like Easyjet and Ryanair have trained passengers very well with PYOBPs so these machines are not really in heavy use
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: BA
Just on the topic of GLA - the check-in queues on a Monday morning look horrific. Makes me glad to fly FlyBe / EasyJet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.