Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Argentina (EZE) Flight Schedule Reduction from March 2015

BA Argentina (EZE) Flight Schedule Reduction from March 2015

Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by HIDDY
When your government slaps on a massive tax on all foreign transaction card spend, the tax man restricts your buying of foreign currency to paltry amounts and monitors your movements in and out of the country it's easy to understand why people aren't flying.
Add to that out of control inflation which makes foreign companies think twice about doing business here it's no wonder the service is being cut especially as it's an expensive route to operate anyway and June is the start of the southern winter here which is always a quiet period.
Until I read the bit about the southern winter I thought you were referring to a post-referendum independent Scotland.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:27 am

Reduction of frequency LHR-EZE

Just read in the Buenos Aires Herald that BA will be reducing its frequency LHR/EZE/LHR from daily to 5 a week as from next March. I use this route twice a year, and as retired staff, I find great difficulty getting a seat, invariably a full load.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Welcome to flyertalk lovely to have you on the BA board.

If BA are reducing services, what are the options like for connecting on AA ? DFW, MIA or NYC ?

cs
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've no insider knowledge but it could be they're cutting the service due to the drop in tourist traffic originating from here. The restrictions put in place by the K regime which prohibits people from buying foreign currency through normal channels plus the 35% surcharge on every foreign transaction one makes on your card is bound to have an adverse affect on the numbers of Argentines travelling abroad.
Business class traffic must have been hit hard as well. You'd need to be dodgy, off your head or one hell of a risk taker to come and do business here.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Mightymouse

Originally Posted by Mightymouse
Just read in the Buenos Aires Herald that BA will be reducing its frequency LHR/EZE/LHR from daily to 5 a week as from next March. I use this route twice a year, and as retired staff, I find great difficulty getting a seat, invariably a full load.
My warmest greetings to you, Mightymouse, it's good to have you, exBa in BA, as it were. Welcome on board and please continue to post here. I have no insight as to the frequency reduction, other than the economic issues. I imagine BA are going to prioritise Briazil for the time being.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:17 pm

There is a wild rumour going about on a Blog that AA are going to stop operating all flights to EZE.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Arg's and moreso Venz's currency controls and high inflation (not hyper- yet in Arg, I believe Venz is now technically hyper-/VRI) render selling tickets domestically pretty much worthless: 21st century airlines aren't setup to recognise revenue at black market/"unofficial" exchange rates and to sweep domestic currency to dollars daily at these rates.

That doesn't mean that people outside the country don't want to pay good money to fly there (I now basically need to fly private to get to CCS), so I wonder why airlines don't just stop selling tickets in those locations while flying there. Wealthy locals will 'get the joke' and start booking their roundtrips ex-MVD or MIA-EZE-MIA
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:00 pm

I've no insider knowledge but it could be they're cutting the service due to the drop in tourist traffic originating from here. The restrictions put in place by the K regime which prohibits people from buying foreign currency through normal channels plus the 35% surcharge on every foreign transaction one makes on your card is bound to have an adverse affect on the numbers of Argentines travelling abroad.
Business class traffic must have been hit hard as well. You'd need to be dodgy, off your head or one hell of a risk taker to come and do business here.
Would out bound tourist traffic ever have been that significant to BA? And its not really somewhere to go on holiday in the northern summer.

As you say, business traffic - originating at both ends - must have fallen away drastically - are businesses able to repatriate profits or are there currency restrictions for them too (in addition to withholding taxes)? (Given the economic problems are there even profits?)
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Leavinglondon
Would out bound tourist traffic ever have been that significant to BA? And its not really somewhere to go on holiday in the northern summer.

As you say, business traffic - originating at both ends - must have fallen away drastically - are businesses able to repatriate profits or are there currency restrictions for them too (in addition to withholding taxes)? (Given the economic problems are there even profits?)
Many Argentines use BA as they have a very good reputation so I would say passenger traffic originating from here will have been affected by the economic situation especially the currency controls.

I've no idea how foreign business operates here however there are ways of getting your money out if you know what you're doing......our President is a dab hand at it.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Its all the fault of the imperialist masters of the las malvinas!!!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Unlike CAI there's no cheap fares from here either.
HIDDY CAI isn't the bargain it was 20 (!) years ago

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.