Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AVIOS success story !

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
AVIOS success story !

OK, OK, I have had the same availability issues as everybody else (and have no doubt that this will continue), but I just thought I'd share a positive experience.

My daughter is working in a summer camp in Italy, and only booked a 1-way ticket outbound, because the exact end date and location were uncertain.

So, she finishes up next Friday 5th Sept., and will be flying home on Saturday 6th Sept.

1-way ticket in ET pricing up around Ł250 (and nothing better looking for an inflexible R/T ticket), but as luck would have it there are a whole bunch of AVIOS tickets kicking about.

The end result ? 1 flexible AVIOS ticket in CE from Italy - LHR - GLA, for the not-unreasonable amount of 15,000 AVIOS and Ł25.

Happy ? Over the flippin' moon !!

I don't expect SYD at New Year or LAX to coincide with the Oscars will prove quite so easy !
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:32 am

Great to hear you've had a good experience. It's how I use most of my avios too. Short notice short haul flights are always good value for avios.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:52 am

A good result indeed.

RFS is a sweet spot for Avios, and there is often decent availability especially if you can be a little flexible on time of travel, rather than seeking a specific flight.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Good for you Rickers!

Quite often I see comments here about 100 Avios having a value of less then a pound, but I think that's quite a simplistic view.

I booked a trip from Vienna to England for a funeral this weekend. Current prices are around 440 euros. I booked a trip with Avios & Money (outbound Club Europe, inbound ET) for around 110 euros, plus I added a trip to Aberdeen - for the same price!!!

For short notice flights Avios can be very useful.

Last edited by headingwest; Aug 27, 2014 at 5:12 am Reason: added
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
My friend is from Milan and had to have an impromptu trip home after he was moving to Santiago de Chile . I used 13000 of my miles and Ł100 to secure a return ticket in CE. He was able to buy 1 extra suitcase allowance and had 96kgs so saved shipping stuff home after moving out of his room in London and enjoyed the lounges and flights. He has now got the BA bug after flying FR all the time and used BA/IB to fly out there bur in summary on high frequency routes gr8 value at the last minute.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:20 pm

Great result! Well done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.