Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odd BA fees. Was I misquoted?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Odd BA fees. Was I misquoted?

I just booked a few tickets with BA Avios for domestic US. Some of them seemed to have oddly high fees.

For example:
July 2nd SEA-SNA on AS
July 12th SNA-SEA on AS
$19.20

Both of these flights are non-stops, so why was I assessed more than the $5.60 TSA fee each way? Does it have something to do with AS?

Thank you!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:09 pm

There's a $4 "US Flight Segment Tax" in each direction.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by whirlybird
Historically, "free" award tickets have been exempt from the segment tax. Has that changed? Is ba.com charging the segment tax on a domestic AA or US redemption now?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat
deleted.. as noted another reply
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whirlybird
Huh. So then I am confused by some of my other bookings, which I made within a few minutes of that one.

I booked:
April 18th SGF-ORD on AA: $5.60

Is there a reason this ticket would not be subject to the flight segment tax?

Also, when you price out the original ticket I described booking above on the AS website, it comes back with the standard $11.20.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Isn't it the discretion of the operating carrier as to whether it collects and pays over the tax?

If OP has questions, doesn't it make sense for him to confirm this with a call to BA. If it makes a difference, OP can always avoid carriers which choose to collect the tax.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Isn't it the discretion of the operating carrier as to whether it collects and pays over the tax?

If OP has questions, doesn't it make sense for him to confirm this with a call to BA. If it makes a difference, OP can always avoid carriers which choose to collect the tax.
If it is the operating carrier then it is odd that AS prices it at $11.20, no?

Also, I booked a ticket which included an AS leg and they did NOT charge anything extra:
Jun9 SEA-IAH on AS
Jun9 IAH-PHL on US
Jun16 PHL-IAH on US
Jun16 IAH-SEA on AS
Cost: $11.20

BA may be able to explain it. I tried calling in and was told 2hr wait :-/
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by evthu
Originally Posted by Often1

If it is the operating carrier then it is odd that AS prices it at $11.20, no?

Also, I booked a ticket which included an AS leg and they did NOT charge anything extra:
Jun9 SEA-IAH on AS
Jun9 IAH-PHL on US
Jun16 PHL-IAH on US
Jun16 IAH-SEA on AS
Cost: $11.20

BA may be able to explain it. I tried calling in and was told 2hr wait :-/
Has your credit card actually been charged $19.20 by BA, or only $11.20? If you have been charged the higher amount and BA does not refund the $8.00, you can always file a complaint with the U.S. DOT, if you are so inclined.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Also, I booked a ticket which included an AS leg and they did NOT charge anything extra:
Jun9 SEA-IAH on AS
Jun9 IAH-PHL on US
Jun16 PHL-IAH on US
Jun16 IAH-SEA on AS
Cost: $11.20"

Did you book this itinerary as a single redemption with Avios? If so, you would have been subject to the much higher Avios redemption rates found on BAEC's "multi-partner" redemption chart. (If booked as an AS roundtrip and as a separate US roundtrip, you would have properly been charged an extra $11.20 in taxes, but would have paid fewer Avios. But you also might not have been protected in the event of IRROPS.)
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

"Also, I booked a ticket which included an AS leg and they did NOT charge anything extra:
Jun9 SEA-IAH on AS
Jun9 IAH-PHL on US
Jun16 PHL-IAH on US
Jun16 IAH-SEA on AS

Did you book this itinerary as a single redemption with Avios? If so, you would have been subject to the much higher Avios redemption rates found on BAEC's "multi-partner" redemption chart. (If booked as an AS roundtrip and as a separate US roundtrip, you would have properly been charged an extra $11.20 in taxes, but would have paid fewer Avios. But you also might not have been protected in the event of IRROPS.)
It was booked as one itinerary. 40k Avios, which is exactly what you would normally expect, as each leg was 10k.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evthu

Jun9 SEA-IAH on AS
Jun9 IAH-PHL on US
Jun16 PHL-IAH on US
Jun16 IAH-SEA on AS

It was booked as one itinerary. 40k Avios, which is exactly what you would normally expect, as each leg was 10k.
I think you got very lucky. Normally, any single redemption using two (or more) BAEC partners gets priced at the multi-partner rate, which for your itinerary would have been 60,000 Avios in Coach.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

I think you got very lucky. Normally, any single redemption using two (or more) BAEC partners gets priced at the multi-partner rate, which for your itinerary would have been 60,000 Avios in Coach.
That is really interesting. I did it on another AS and US itinerary and again was charged teh normal (not multi-partner) rate.

I wonder if combining some partners (in both of these cases, US and AS) is not being bumped up to the multi-partner rate.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"I wonder if combining some partners (in both of these cases, US and AS) is not being bumped up to the multi-partner rate."

Maybe the higher rate is only supposed to kick in when two or more oneworld partners are used, but I seem to recall an old post indicating that the higher rate was quoted on an AA/EI combination. I think someone recently posted that an AA/US combination resulted in the higher rate being charged, but AA and US are both oneworld partners.

Have you verified that only the lesser amount of Avios was actually deducted from your BAEC account?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

"I wonder if combining some partners (in both of these cases, US and AS) is not being bumped up to the multi-partner rate."

Maybe the higher rate is only supposed to kick in when two or more oneworld partners are used, but I seem to recall an old post indicating that the higher rate was quoted on an AA/EI combination. I think someone recently posted that an AA/US combination resulted in the higher rate being charged, but AA and US are both oneworld partners.

Have you verified that only the lesser amount of Avios was actually deducted from your BAEC account?
Just verified on my BA statement that it was the lesser amount that was deducted.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:22 am

Simple round-trip SLC-PDX on AS was charged $19.20. Any new ideas as to why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.