Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why bother with plates if what you're serving in GF resembles dog food anyway?

Why bother with plates if what you're serving in GF resembles dog food anyway?

Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by tmac100
FWIW, I bekieve the attitude of the OP should be shelved.! Master-servant attituse is too "old school' time of the Raj". OTOH, perhaps the OPs dogs get fed better than MOST of humanity.

I am just returning from the developing world and if any reader thinks I am being too negative to the OPs attitude .. well too bad. Nothing personal at all toward the OP - just toward the self-righteous attitude.

BA lounges are just fine - seriously they are. You should try a lounge while flying with Air Botswana ... no lounges for anyone. Not even Air Asia (rated as world's best LCC) has a lounge. BUT they do land safely :-)
You have rights to your opinions as does the OP.
But come on, comapring Air Botswana to BA ?

BTW all that chilli with all those beans...glad I don't travel in F
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nh1980
I think QR is able to deliver such a fantastic range of products from its London lounge because most of the passengers are paying for it with F or J longhaul tickets whereas GF and GC are catering for not only premium longhaul and shorthaul but loads of status holders on non-premium longhaul, domestics and short European flights, people on RFS flights etc etc

I almost wonder if BA needed to restore the former quality to its Galleries Club and First lounges, would it make sense to have a separate lounge for domestics (and perhaps the very short European flights) with a decent food offering but a much reduced and cheaper cost bar Ie. Beers, couple of reds and white wines, one champagne/sparkling. The savings can then be reinvested in keeping the existing flagship lounges quieter and of the standard they should be for the higher value longhaul customers. I would lose out if this change came about but realistically I don't need the bar offering to be what it is if I'm getting a 35min flight up north.

You hit the nail on the head IMO --- the alliances, status miles on partner airlines, lounge access no matter your class of service were all developed in a different time period.

Today the cost of providing somebody who flies Y domestic US 70 times a year lounge access at LHR and other points means BA has to water down its product for its true top spenders. The same goes for other airlines. Recently UA increased the cost of redemptions on partners; LX/LH have reduced partner availability for premium cabins. I see the alliances continuing but with altered lounge access rules - i.e. - QR at T4 LHR.

Originally Posted by TRVLUPGD
You have rights to your opinions as does the OP.
But come on, comapring Air Botswana to BA ?

BTW all that chilli with all those beans...glad I don't travel in F
The working/living conditions in for the economically challenged in any country are irrelevant to Versace, Prada or BA in terms of offering a product that meets the expectations of paying customers.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

Originally Posted by onobond
A tad unfair comparison, I say. I personally know many dogs with better table manners than what can be seen in GF.

Ha ha ha! I was about to get ready to sleep and I read this. I almost fell off my chair laughing, and therefore, now I am wide awake. I hold that against you, sir!
I plead Guilty as charged
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss

scrambled eggs need neither milk OR cream.
Originally Posted by bafan

*proper* scrambled eggs need neither...

Mass catering versions, where you try to pad out the egg with other cheaper ingredients, are another matter
Each to their own taste...
Browsing through a dozen of recepies I was surprised to see how many versions actually specified cream. Everything from water, skimmed milk, full milk, cream of various strength and even butter was to be whipped in. Personally I use a dash of full milk when cooking scrambled eggs for two. Would never dream of using:
Xantan gum and modified corn starch together with yet another 3-7 additives with E-numbers
All of those, for whom these elements are essential, are of course free to use them.

[sarcasm]Oh, how I love the smell of Xantan gum in the morning[/sarcasm]
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I think QR is able to deliver such a fantastic range of products from its London lounge because most of the passengers are paying for it with F or J longhaul tickets whereas GF and GC are catering for not only premium longhaul and shorthaul but loads of status holders on non-premium longhaul, domestics and short European flights, people on RFS flights etc etc...
... accompanied by their random guests.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Enjoyed the curry with green beans I had in GF last time I visited (2nd august) couldn't fault it at all followed by copious amounts of champagne
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: BA - Blue
If I found the lounge food to be as bad as it's described here, I'd be inclined to eat elsewhere and just get some drinks in the lounge, like I do at most third party lounges at an outstation.

I agree and disagree. I certainly don't inflict bad food on myself, regardless of whether it is free. However, not having a fancy expense account, nor piles of cash, I did/ do appreciate good quality grub when in a lounge, especially if it is likely to be better than the offerings on-board. In pre-lounge access times, I would often just wait it out until boarding time.

I have no problem paying for quality food, and dining out beyond our budget is one of our family indulgences. But airports rarely offer decent, good value choices.

For a while, GF offerings were superior to pretty much every on-board (BA) catering. I don't think that is any longer the case.

As a teetotaler, what I find galling is that the food offerings lag significantly behind booze in terms of quality, even though (I presume) the cost-base for increasing the food quality significantly would be a fraction compared with the price of JW blue -- which many on this board only seem to drink when it's offered for free.

tb
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
I'm in GF now and the food isn't bad at all in my view - the bowls however are really annoying if you want to eat anything using a knife and fork. Plates seem to be only for people ordering off the menu...
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Plates seem to be only for people ordering off the menu...
I'd be inclined to order a plate if it's available for food-to-order.

Since the only food I would eat without knife and fork are puddings and soup, I would have to have a plate, even for fruit salad. So if I were to be at the F lounge and there is no plate in sight, I would certainly be asking for a plate.

I assume "bowls only" thing is not applicable for breakfast? I cannot imagine eating a sausage, black pudding etc from a bowl
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Pretty sure I saw plates out for breakfast yesterday morning...probably an enhancement to ensure they provide crockery appropriate to the time of day....following extensive customer feedback

Last edited by nh1980; Aug 27, 2014 at 7:33 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
You hit the nail on the head IMO --- the alliances, status miles on partner airlines, lounge access no matter your class of service were all developed in a different time period.

Today the cost of providing somebody who flies Y domestic US 70 times a year lounge access at LHR and other points means BA has to water down its product for its true top spenders. The same goes for other airlines. Recently UA increased the cost of redemptions on partners; LX/LH have reduced partner availability for premium cabins. I see the alliances continuing but with altered lounge access rules - i.e. - QR at T4 LHR.

The working/living conditions in for the economically challenged in any country are irrelevant to Versace, Prada or BA in terms of offering a product that meets the expectations of paying customers.
If BA and others agree to certain rules, then it is OK for Air Botswana top tier elite to use the lounges. To preserve access to its own premium members , perhaps BA needs to have another level that cannot be matched to any other airline.

I see "democrization" of the lounges as is being done in BOM's new terminal. ALL airline lonuges share a common facility under one roof. It will be interesting to see which way it goes.
Airlines will be able to save a lot by this concept. The lines which do not want this may stay away from an alliance as does EK.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no doubt that F&B is on a downward spiral across GF & GC. The CCR is not much better. Presently GF reminds me of some Hilton hotels that do the bare minimum to fulfill the brand standard, for example smoked fish consisting of mackerel instead of smoked salmon because it's a lot cheaper. It's far too stodgy and unhealthy at present. There's no proper food on the GF all-day menu to the extent that it's become a gimmick rather than a solid alternative to the buffet and the burger is absolutely dreadful, it's not about whether it's well-done its the fact it resembles a hockey puck in texture and appearance.

The only slightly decent option is the "Portuguese" chicken with potatoes and beans but I've had better at a university canteen. As far as being "Portuguese" then might as well mention all the Southern/warm member states in naming it, e.g. next week "Maltese" chicken.

Across all the lounges the deserts are the frozen type you can find in Iceland for 1.99. I had a "brain freeze" from the cheesecake the other week as the digestive base was still partly frozen.

I noted the Parmigiano cheese has now been changed to "Italian hard cheese' presumably because its no longer Parmesan, perhaps it's now a cheaper Grand Padano. I've always wondered why the olive oil and balsamic vinegar have to be in god-awful bottles that you can't pour properly, would it be so hard to put a spout on them? On that matter, how about some wet-wipes somewhere? Many, many hotel and airline lounges have them.

To top it all and to much regret Ron Zacapa XO has gone from GF and will not be returning...whether staff members will bring it from CCR is another matter.

Talking of staff, there's a few who have worked in GF for as long as I can remember and chatting to one last week she agreed that the F&B has gone down considerably and the BA customer service desk woman chimed in too.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Only bowls at the GF buffet tonight! No worries, just order anything from the menu. It comes on a large plate. Take a bowl from the buffet and shift the contents of the ordered menu into the bowl. You are left with a large plate which you can use to go to the buffet. I didn't do this since everything on the buffet looked un-edible but this is just a proposal for the many GF pax who like the free buffet but don't like the bowls! Bon appetit and try to stay healthy!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:44 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
I'd be inclined to order a plate if it's available for food-to-order.

Since the only food I would eat without knife and fork are puddings and soup, I would have to have a plate, even for fruit salad. So if I were to be at the F lounge and there is no plate in sight, I would certainly be asking for a plate.

I assume "bowls only" thing is not applicable for breakfast? I cannot imagine eating a sausage, black pudding etc from a bowl
Would you not eat Spaghetti Carbonara or the like with a spoon and fork? I shake my head at the national chains like Ask that I have to ask for a spoon when ordering tagliatelle, tagliolini, fettucini or spaghetti when they bring a knife and fork. The italians don't eat these pastas with a knife and fork, they always have a spoon handy.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by trueblu
I agree and disagree. I certainly don't inflict bad food on myself, regardless of whether it is free. However, not having a fancy expense account, nor piles of cash, I did/ do appreciate good quality grub when in a lounge, especially if it is likely to be better than the offerings on-board. In pre-lounge access times, I would often just wait it out until boarding time.

I have no problem paying for quality food, and dining out beyond our budget is one of our family indulgences. But airports rarely offer decent, good value choices.

For a while, GF offerings were superior to pretty much every on-board (BA) catering. I don't think that is any longer the case.
As a teetotaler, what I find galling is that the food offerings lag significantly behind booze in terms of quality, even though (I presume) the cost-base for increasing the food quality significantly would be a fraction compared with the price of JW blue -- which many on this board only seem to drink when it's offered for free.

tb
Bolding mine.
I agree with you. I used to joke with the bosses at the company conferences and dinners that if they gave me cash for all the booze I did not drink, I would be rich.^

Originally Posted by patvan
Only bowls at the GF buffet tonight! No worries, just order anything from the menu. It comes on a large plate. Take a bowl from the buffet and shift the contents of the ordered menu into the bowl. You are left with a large plate which you can use to go to the buffet. I didn't do this since everything on the buffet looked un-edible but this is just a proposal for the many GF pax who like the free buffet but don't like the bowls! Bon appetit and try to stay healthy!
Perhaps the "bowls only " idea is born of a notion that it saves money on foods and labour ...BTW is it legal to take a used plate to the bufet ? In the US buffets, one must take a fresh plate everytime.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.