Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is BA about to devalue Avios?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
So Iberia did a no-notice devaluation? Shame on them.

It would be extremely low of BA, given its size and reputation, to devaluate this much without advanced notice.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Quite. I don't see how BA's aggressive targeting of US consumers to join BAEC via Chase and the like makes strategic sense. It willl maybe bring in $10-20M a year in side business, but considering the disquiet on here and the number of posters presumably comfortably in the Ł50K+ personal spend level, that benefit starts looking questionable pretty quickly.
I guess most UK-based BAEC members don't even know about Chase in the US and the FT members are the tiny minority of "average" BAEC members. If they don't know about it, it won't bother them (although there may be an indirect effect by depleting the available Avios seats).

Those here who are comfortably in the Ł50k+ spend level with BA would be in an extreme minority and likely to be GGLs so the effect of Chase-induced Avios spending would be relatively small on them - more bothersome for them could be difficulties with redeeming Jokers on certain routes.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they increased the required Avios on some routes.

Personally, I do think the earn ratio from flying in comparison to credit card bonus/Tesco etc is very low and sometimes I do feel like I'm at a serious disadvantage for not being based in certain countries but then, I don't have to belong to BAEC if I don't like the programme, so I accept the bits I don't like and try to make the most of what I do like.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by italdesign
So Iberia did a no-notice devaluation? Shame on them.

It would be extremely low of BA, given its size and reputation, to devaluate this much without advanced notice.
It would be almost as low as Lufthansa lately.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:55 pm

Wonder if BA will discontinue the 2-4-1 certs for those of us in the 30K + spend bracket here in the US. If so, then there is ZERO incentive to keep the BA/Chase card.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by pl840502
The new chart looks odd, why does it have redeem option for up to 50,000 miles? Do they redeem for shooting up into space now?
Keep in mind that it's a chart for round trips.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:03 pm

From the looks of it, roundtrips on non-stop flights only... does that mean that a Milwaukee-Chicago-Detroit flight, which would cost 18K Avios roundtrip, would now price at 39K? (19,500 X 2). Wow... it would indeed be very very low for this change to be made with no advance notice.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
Keep in mind that it's a chart for round trips.
they actually didn't say round trip on one world chart, it says "Next table is applied to direct flights"...still think this new chart is too odd, looks like a mistake.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
A friend told me that in fact IB has always had a significantly more expensive oneworld chart than BA. It was only their BA/IB chart was the same as the BA OW chart - and that is still the case. I couldn't independently verify this because I couldn't find the old IB OW chart. Anyone has any thoughts? If what he said is true than in the end maybe nothing will happen to BA after all.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
A friend told me that in fact IB has always had a significantly more expensive oneworld chart than BA. It was only their BA/IB chart was the same as the BA OW chart - and that is still the case. I couldn't independently verify this because I couldn't find the old IB OW chart. Anyone has any thoughts? If what he said is true than in the end maybe nothing will happen to BA after all.
I also noticed this a few weeks ago when US released what appeared to be unintended award space. Space was searchable on US and AA but wasn't showing up on BA.com (eventually it came to light that it was only bookable usairways.com). Anyway, while I was trying to figure out how to use avios for a US redemption, I saw the high prices on their award chart made a transfer to IB not even worthwhile. Now I wish I wrote the numbers down to compare with what's being shared here. Could it be that most people have not even bothered with trying to book partner awards via IB.com up until today?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by paulwuk
They aren't talking about devaluing it for people based near a Ba hub. Just like the increase in value when 97% of Ba flights reduced cost (or stayed the same)

Presumably this allows Ba to be more competitive elsewhere by reducing the money that gets paid to aa for the "free" flights. As a Ba flyer I will presumably benefit from this.

If you're based in the uk, join baec. Based in the us, join aa. Based in japan, join jal.

Ba's revenues from selling miles is tiny compared with selling seats to last minute business flyers. In 2009 passenger Revenue was 7800 million, cargo about 600, and all other revenue 400, of which selling miles is a fraction.
Revenue is meaningless. It's profit that counts. Almost all award programs are big profit centers.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by elizadoo
Wonder if BA will discontinue the 2-4-1 certs for those of us in the 30K + spend bracket here in the US. If so, then there is ZERO incentive to keep the BA/Chase card.
The pimps will be rolling over in their sleep tonight. No more BA cards to pimp!
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
A friend told me that in fact IB has always had a significantly more expensive oneworld chart than BA.
Lan domestic flights in Argentina always cost more through IB however the taxes were and still are much cheaper than the BAEC.

AEP-COR-AEP

IB Plus. 24,000 Avios plus $8.

BAEC 9,000 Avios plus $54
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Lan domestic flights in Argentina always cost more through IB however the taxes were and still are much cheaper than the BAEC.

AEP-COR-AEP

Just curious, do you happen to know what LAN charge for the actual taxes, fees and fuel surcharges (if any) for that route, i.e. any amount other than the actual fare component?

I am wondering if IB is covering some of that component with Avios, whereas BA isn't, or BA is taking in cash what they "don't" charge in Avios, or a combination of both, because the cash component difference seems fairly large.

I'm basically trying to see if there is a model difference between the two in terms of cash component.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by HIDDY

AEP-COR-AEP

I did notice BA's high taxes when I was booking AEP-SLA earlier this year. Ended up using Delta Skymiles to book AR. I personally ever bothered using IB for non-IB flights so I couldn't tell if this is widespread.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:08 pm

pray this is this equivalent of april fools day in europe :'-(

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.