Wiki Posts
Search

BA001 LCY JFK catering

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
BA001 LCY JFK catering

Is the catering on this service the same as LHR CW menu? What choice is offered? Any example menu rotations out there?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JSM8
Is the catering on this service the same as LHR CW menu? What choice is offered? Any example menu rotations out there?
No, different caterers = different menus. A bit better IMHO, more like longer North American flights (afternoon tea choice) or even a "touch" of F (with the warm pudding).

Menu this month:

LCY-SNN:

Starters:

A seection of canapes featuring mozzarella, tomato and basil, roast beef with horseradish, and peppered mackerel on cucumber.

Exotic fruit brochette.

Then SNN-JFK:

Salad with vinaigrette

Main courses:

Grilled rack of spring lamb with sauteed spinach, roasted wild mushrooms, bacon gnocchi and balsamic herb jus

Grilled king prawns with saffron dill korm, mustard rice and stuffed baby aubergine

Garganelli pasta with oxtail ragout, fresh arugula and shaved Parmesan

Truffled creamy potato and cucumber salad with tomato carpaccio and crispy coated spring chicken

(note that I am really surprised that none of the mains is vegetarian! I don't remember seeing that before).

Desserts:

Warm sticky toffee pudding with caramel sauce

Lincolnshire blue and Butler's secret cheddar with apple pear chutney

Fruit selection

Chocolates

Finally pre-arrival afternoon tea:

Sandwiches (salted beef with tomato chutney, chicken caesar, prawn Marie Rose and Cheddar and caramelised onion)

or traditional antipasti featuring roast beef on coleslaw, prawn cocktail, and peppered goat's cheese and grilled asparagus

Homemade plain or lemon-date scones with clotted cream and strawberry preserves

Afternoon tea pastries featuring Dundee cake and strawberry eclair.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by orbitmic
No, different caterers = different menus. A bit better IMHO, more like longer North American flights (afternoon tea choice) or even a "touch" of F (with the warm pudding).
I would agree with that, I actually prefer it over the LHR First menu too, which is a bit overdrawn out. Plus the very good service levels certainly make it a better experience, the cabin crew are clearly the elite of LGW's staff. The return is probably more underwhelming but hopefully you won't be doing anything other than sleeping on the way back.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
I'd never really thought about the heated/non-heated dessert until now.

The smell of whatever pudding was served in May on CWLCY was delicious and drifted through the cabin. ^ ^
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I had lamb last time and it was much nicer presented than your average CW meal, felt like it was a bit more 'restaurant like' in terms of what it how, etc and generally felt (and tasted) better quality and also slightly larger portion:

"afternoon tea" (or whatever it is called). EDIT: pic with hot pastry "thing" now added

Last edited by chris1979; Aug 23, 2014 at 5:42 am
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I had the lamb last week and it was very well presented (not the typical CW bowl of slop) if a little overcooked, however the pasta dish which appeared like a Spag Bol variant looked really appetising.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I had the lamb last week and it was very well presented (not the typical CW bowl of slop) if a little overcooked, however the pasta dish which appeared like a Spag Bol variant looked really appetising.
It is an oxtail ragout and it is one of the nicer things I've eaten on a plane. Yum!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
Thanks.....I too am surprised that there isnt a vegetarian hot. Also that it is the same menu without rotation for a month as I am sure there are a number of regular/frequent passengers who would welcome some variety.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would agree with that, I actually prefer it over the LHR First menu too, which is a bit overdrawn out. Plus the very good service levels certainly make it a better experience, the cabin crew are clearly the elite of LGW's staff. The return is probably more underwhelming but hopefully you won't be doing anything other than sleeping on the way back.
Fully agree with you on service and this is what I really like on the return: if seating forward and wanting the tapas plate I have regularly been able to actually finish dinner by the time the seat belt sign was turned off! This is simply impossible on a normal Lhr flight. Breakfast is also vastly superior to JFK-Lhr frequently featuring full breakkie or eggs benedict!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.