Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why is there no service from MAN or EDI to MAD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:08 am
Original Poster

I think they tried it a few years ago with IB Express which didn't last but surely the demand is there for at least one feeder flight?

Yes they'd be competing with Ryanair/Easyjet on the O&D side but wouldn't the connecting feed be useful? AF/KL and LH must be sweeping up the Latin America traffic currently.

MAN in particular is now really well connected to oneworld hubs (JFK, ORD, PHL, CLT, DOH, HKG, HEL) and it seems very odd that MAD isn't on that list. Routing MAN-LON-MAD-XXX can't be very popular for sure.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I think they tried it a few years ago with IB Express which didn't last but surely the demand is there for at least one feeder flight?
When was it last tried?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:16 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Calchas
When was it last tried?
They tried it at Glasgow with a twice weekly service. Unsurprisingly it didn't last long. They said it would appeal to business people (which it ostensibly didn't), it would allow connecting traffic (if you happened to want to fly out of Glasgow on a Tuesday or Saturday morning). You get the idea - big grant from the Scottish government to launch it with Iberia understandably having no intention of keeping it going.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Was more referring to the MAN service which ran 6/7 weekly during the same period (Winter 2011/ Summer 2012). Would be good to see that given another go.

GLA was indeed a token effort but I think EDI could be feasible now.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Vueling now fly EDI-BCN (not sure about MAD) a couple of times a week.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:44 am

Vueling are supposed to be starting MAN - BCN too, going to compete against all the locos already on the route.

MAD however is totally underserved from MAN, can't help thinking they could be missing a trick?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Most likely many years ago when BA operated a fairly large Euro service out of MAN, MAD was one of the destinations. IB have certainly once again reduce presence at the regions over the years as well..and as reported here the crazy MAD-GLA - MAD most recently was well, a complete disaster apart from monies pocketed from subsidy.

I guess just about all Spanish services from the regions will either be from the big orange carrier or Vueling as time goes on but almost nothing from London Airways....
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by andset1191
They tried it at Glasgow with a twice weekly service. Unsurprisingly it didn't last long. They said it would appeal to business people (which it ostensibly didn't), it would allow connecting traffic (if you happened to want to fly out of Glasgow on a Tuesday or Saturday morning). You get the idea - big grant from the Scottish government to launch it with Iberia understandably having no intention of keeping it going.
I don't believe they got any kind of subsidy due to the limited service.
I'm sure it was started due to Scottish Power - a subsidiary of a Spanish company Iberdrola - sending employees back and forth to Madrid over a period of several months so instead of a charter it was turned into a scheduled service.
Totally useless schedule of course for the general public so as soon as the contract finished the route was pulled. I suspect the reason IB don't serve the likes of EDI/GLA/MAN is because IAG want everyone through LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.