Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bag tags: should I just throw them in the bin?

Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

So I've just got back from Munich to discover that, for the third time in 8 flights my BA Silver bag tag has disappeared somewhere between check in and the baggage belt. Honestly, what is the point? Do frequent flyers of other airlines have this stupid problem? Surely, providing sturdy fastenings would save BA some money because they wouldn't have to keep re-issuing them every few months.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
I use these keychains. I know you shouldn't have to need to buy an alternative but the leather straps come open easy and they don't cost the world. I also find they allow the tags to lie properly when wheeling the case/bag.

You get 4 spare for the next time they go missing!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-St...screw+key+ring
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: ABBA
Still not quite twigged on the point of a bag tag. I've seen anecdotal evidence that having a gold tag on your hand luggage may help very rarely in some queues, but in hold luggage?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:21 pm

Q: Why would anyone attach airline tags in the first place?

LH mislaid my bags last week for 24h, but they were delivered to me the next day, as promised, despite only having the barcode tags...
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Q: Why would anyone attach airline tags in the first place?

LH mislaid my bags last week for 24h, but they were delivered to me the next day, as promised, despite only having the barcode tags...
My OH calls them wa..er tags. Though I am told they fetch a nice price on eBay.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
The sticky tag with the barcode that they attach when you check bags in achieves the purpose needed - to identify the bag. Of course you can always tie bandanas or scarfs too which seems to be popular

Attaching BA tags serves no purpose and they'll disappear fast as they break, and the leather strap opens by itself it seems.

Speaking of w****r tags, was on a LHR-BHD today and someone had 2 GGL tags on EACH of his 2 bags. Perhaps he did buy them on ebay. But he sure looked like a w****r with all that unnecessary bling.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver. Tracking for TP run.
Originally Posted by DaveNCL
I use these keychains. I know you shouldn't have to need to buy an alternative but the leather straps come open easy and they don't cost the world. I also find they allow the tags to lie properly when wheeling the case/bag.

You get 4 spare for the next time they go missing!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-St...screw+key+ring
50p? I'm in.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I agree, can't really see the point of them, but each to their own.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
You can buy them on eBay? Why would someone want to buy someone else's bag tags?

I use them because my brain doesn't read barcodes and they are a good way of identifying my rather generic looking Samsonite roller case.

The key ring thing looks good. I think that I saw a colleague of mine with something similar securing his LH tag.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
My OH calls them wa..er tags.

+1.

I tie a few coloured straws round the top of my suitcase. Negates the need to read any barcode.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by matthandy
You can buy them on eBay? Why would someone want to buy someone else's bag tags?

I use them because my brain doesn't read barcodes and they are a good way of identifying my rather generic looking Samsonite roller case.

The key ring thing looks good. I think that I saw a colleague of mine with something similar securing his LH tag.
Your name is on the barcode sticker also.

And for extra validation, look at the last 4 digits on the bag sticker, compare with the sticker they put on your boarding pass/passport to be truly certain its your bag.

I've yet to see the sticky tags ever come off, but have seen and heard of dozens of w****r tags disappear randomly. so the regular tag method seems more reliable too.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
I agree, can't really see the point of them, but each to their own.
And imagine the outrage of those who see no point in them if BAEC were to 'enhance away' the baggage (w**ker) tags. Accusations of racing to the bottom again no doubt!

Many may fail to see the difference between advertising their status on a baggage tag or when displaying their numerous shiny cards on their FT profile!

Each to their own.

Last edited by passy777; Aug 21, 2014 at 4:48 pm
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The plastic material BA uses is too thin. Has been for about 12 years now. The f**kin things keep cracking so I gave up years ago. They now mostly go to the children who play aeroplanes with them.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by passy777
And imagine the outrage of those who see no point in them if BAEC were to 'enhance away' the baggage (w**ker) tags. Accusations of racing to the bottom again no doubt!

Many may fail to see the difference between advertising their status on a baggage tag or when displaying their numerous shiny cards on their FT profile!

Each to their own.
Well said. Guess there is a little w**ker in everybody.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

I only use mine for hand luggage. I find it quite useful when queuing - I have been asked if I'm at the right check in before when dressed casually. I don't get offended by staff being proactive but it does save a bit of embarrassment all round.

Never put it on checked bags though. The sticky barcode label is all that's needed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.