Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

newbie - advice about US internal flights using points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, I'm new here. If I'm in the wrong place then just let me know. I'd love a bit of advice about a trip I'm planning next June to East Coast America.

I want to take 3 internal one way flights,with my husband
Washington to Buffalo Niagra - June 21st, morning (ideally 10am ish)
Buffalo to Boston - June 22nd, morning (ideally 10am ish)
Boston to JFK - June 29th to connect with 10pm flight to UK.

I have a BA exec account, with 4500 miles (enough for 1 flight). I've been saving Tesco CC to swap over. I've also been completing e-reward questionnaires (in 2 email addresses mine and husband, each with a non ba avios account). Each has around 2000 points in at the moment. I still have Tesco points to convert, and also planning on using Top Cashback money to convert to Tesco. I know I'd have a long way to save enough for both of us for all 3 flights!

I had thought I could try and earn enough points for all flights, but I'm not sure how to go about combining everything together, or if it's even worth it?

I was just looking at availability on the dates and there just doesn't seem to be much. Am I too early? Will more be released nearer the time?

I've just been so focussed on making points, and now it's a case of trying to make them work with the rest of the planning.

Any advice appreciated
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: Gold Mega Legend
Getting to JFK from BOS for a 10pm flight would mean getting the 5.30 Delta flight, however not much use as you can't use your Avios for this. The latest AA flight in to JFK to get you there in time is at 2.30, which means a good 6 hours of sitting around a JFK.
There is the option of the US Airways hourly shuttle to LaGuardia, however obviously this adds the hassle of getting to JFK.
Your best option is just to fly direct back to Heathrow from Boston (not sure if you have already booked your inbound yet though?)

For the BUF-BOS segment , if reward availability isn't there, I'd just book cash. JetBlue fly the route, from memory the cheapest fares are around 60 bucks.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Hi revan thanks for the reply. We already have the flights booked from JFK to manchester, so do need to get back to JFK. So looks like a cash flight rather than trying to earn enough points on that one!

When I came up with this idea I didnt really look at the times, just that the routes existed and would be 4500 points each time, then started collecting! Just trying to keep it all as cheap as pos, but would rather pay than settle for times that don't suit. Will check out jet blue too.

Do you think the final schedule for next June is out now, or would more times be added next few months?

Many thanks
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Just checked me blue, and only dates up to april released so far, so I'll keep checking in on their site. Hopefully some better times available.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk mrswinkle

Originally Posted by mrswinkle
Do you think the final schedule for next June is out now, or would more times be added next few months?
Welcome to Flyertalk mrswinkle, welcome to the BA forum as well as to Flyertalk. I hope you've had a chance to go through the Dashboard, and in particular the threads on Household Accounts (HHA) and transferring Avios. And indeed Raffles' blog on headforpoints.com. Welcome once again and I hope we will see more of you in the future.

In aviation terms that a long time off, so both availability and flight schedules will both alter between now and then. One of the risks of buying early is that a lot can change, there again availability is often good then. But it can also be good just a few weeks off travel too. It's a case of watch and waiting.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: Gold Mega Legend
Do remember that it is prudent to factor in some wiggle room in case of delay/ cancellations - not uncommon on this route, and if it does happen you may get rerouted to LGA, and have to hustle from there to JFK.

Personally I would head to NYC in the am, hang out in Manhattan for the afternoon then head out to JFK at 7-7.30
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

From BOS to NYC, there are inexpensive bus options (including Bolt Bus and Megabus), as well as the somewhat more expensive rail option on Amtrak.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:48 pm

You’ll definitely find much good information on headforpoints.com and flyertalk.com. Two great resources.

My tuppence worth:

1. Suggest you create a household account to combine yours and your husband’s Avios points. Useful for maximising the potential of smaller points balances.
2. You can use Avios points plus cash.

Looking at your schedule - all three segments are priced the same:

BUF to BOS is 4500 Avios points plus £2.50 per person OR 2,500 Avios points plus £25 per person.
BOS to JFK is 4500 Avios points plus £2.50 per person OR 2,500 Avios points plus £25 per person.
DCA to BUF is 4500 Avios points plus £2.50 per person OR 2,500 Avios points plus £25 per person.

You’ve already got 4,500 Avios points. Presuming you are willing to travel in economy, and need 2 people x 3 segments = 6 segments, then you’ll need something between:

a) 15,000 Avios and £150 cash or
b) 27,000 Avios and £15 cash.

for the six segments.

An extremely good use of Avios points too, in my opinion. If you buy each ticket individually [for 4,500 points plus £2.50] then you are effectively buying six cancellable single segments [losing £2.50 per segment if cancelled].

Last edited by abitwild; Aug 18, 2014 at 6:02 pm Reason: Spelling mistake that would likely cause my grandmother to turn in her grave
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Thought I'd give a bit of an update on our planning (thanks for the advice received before now!)

I've just booked BUF to BOS, using 4000 miles and £8.40 via BA exec club, then booked a paid ticket on the same flight from US. So that's one section sorted. It will be an early start (ish) as the flight is 09.15 from Buffalo, we'll be in Niagara, but it makes our one and only day in Boston nice an long.

I'm looking at maybe flying from Portland to JFK on the final day rather than driving back to Boston. Just weighing up a 1 way fee on the car hire, versus many more flight options from Boston.

I'm still earning avios from my Tesco card and e-rewards so that I'll have another stash for the next booking if I can possibly get availability. It looks like there is just 1 reward seat on many flights.

Oh, I also discovered that i could possibly use Avios to book our connecting flights from Norwich to Manchester return, though the taxes are much higher to do this. At least I'd save some money if I can't use them for the other 2 legs in the US.

Last edited by mrswinkle; Aug 29, 2014 at 4:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.