Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheese and Security

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Cheese and Security

Hi All

I have tried to search (well, sort of!) about people's experience in taking cheese through T5 security. Mrs srbrenna has requested me to take some through this evening to AMS. Quite why she couldn't have put some in her hold luggage yesterday is another matter!

So is it worth trying or shall I not bother?

Cheers
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriott Gold
We often take cheese to/from Poland (flying to Warsaw from LHR T5) and never have an issue.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not prohibited so why not?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Go for it. (Unless you are stocking up on Epoisses - which I love - and sitting next to me.)
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I have been taking cheese through security ever since the liquid ban and have never had a problem. Occasionally the shape (e.g. a half moon of Stichelton sitting next to a quarter moon of Montgomery Cheddar) raises eyebrows, most recently at LGW, but no drama.

This thread has been plucked from the archives for your delectation: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...heese-gel.html

(Some old faces on there, sadly no longer with us...)
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:57 am
Suspended

I had a problem in Frankfurt once, which I posted about but cannot find now.

Briefly - I had bought some pate and security wouldn't let me through because it was a 'cream' and in excess of 100ml (it was 197g actually). A long discussion ensued, during which I pointed out that it still has the butcher's label on it. We go off to a side room and they want to take it away from me.

So I ask if I can cut it in half and put each half into a separate baggy. "No problem then!" So I use my handy BAEC Gold card to finely trim it into two nearly equal halves and off I went on my travels.

Made for a good story that night.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Go for it. (Unless you are stocking up on Epoisses - which I love - and sitting next to me.)
Once did that on a very warm train to Leeds. THere were some strange looks in the carriage!

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
I have been taking cheese through security ever since the liquid ban and have never had a problem. Occasionally the shape (e.g. a half moon of Stichelton sitting next to a quarter moon of Montgomery Cheddar) raises eyebrows, most recently at LGW, but no drama.

This thread has been plucked from the archives for your delectation: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...heese-gel.html

That's the thread I was trying to find - thanks.

Unfortuately the request is for Cathedral City rather than the more exotic stuff.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:01 am
Original Poster

I had a problem in Frankfurt once, which I posted about but cannot find now.

Briefly - I had bought some pate and security wouldn't let me through because it was a 'cream' and in excess of 100ml (it was 197g actually). A long discussion ensued, during which I pointed out that it still has the butcher's label on it. We go off to a side room and they want to take it away from me.

So I ask if I can cut it in half and put each half into a separate baggy. "No problem then!" So I use my handy BAEC Gold card to finely trim it into two nearly equal halves and off I went on my travels.

Good one! I was wondering if I would have to cut it into 100g pieces!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
It's not prohibited so why not?
Well, yes and no. It's one of those things that depend on interpretation.

We've had cheese confiscated - Swiss cheese at ZRH - along with Birchermuesli pots . It was some years ago, and we only pack such dangerous substances in our checked baggage these days.

Presumably some cheeses look suspicious on the X-ray machines and require investigation.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:25 am

I've flown through T5 with blocks of cheddar numerous times and never had an issue, other than some slight amusement from staff.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by srbrenna
Unfortuately the request is for Cathedral City rather than the more exotic stuff.
I see, you're taking Cathedral City to Holland ...there's an expression coming to mind that I just can't put my finger on...
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BahrainLad

Wow, that was a trip down memory lane to a very different forum.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:01 am

Imagine trying that with my Bronze card
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:09 am

As a Gold, you're better off pilfering cheeses from the lounge than giving someone Cathedral City - depressingly the UK's best selling cheese.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:15 am
Suspended

While you're at it S, take some Prelude and that decent Pinot Noir that's been out recently!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.