Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Live TP: Maui for the Weekend (AA J/F, BA Y/J/F)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live TP: Maui for the Weekend (AA J/F, BA Y/J/F)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Thanks for the tip, car is already booked We're heading to Mama's Fish House on Saturday night for dinner. Could be worth a trip to Charley's afterwards ^
You won't be disappointed at Mama's I'd avoid the flatbread at lunchtime then!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by onobond
That's a nice little weekend getaway.

Although the connection through DFW means less TPs, the 763 domestic F to OGG is another world of comfort than the 757 on the return.

Happy travel! Eagerly waiting for your updates.
Had the 763 both ways last year and they were really good. We have the dreaded 752 this year!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: BA GGL
Looking forward to reading about your trip. Especially the Seaside Hotel. I am booked in there for a week in November/December (I know it is letting the side down to stay for a whole week). I have stayed in their sister hotels in Kona and Hilo both of which were OK (ish).
Are you going to drive up Haleakala?? It is amazing.
Happy travels.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Iamnotlost
Are you going to drive up Haleakala?? It is amazing.
Yes!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:08 am

I did the Haleakala trip last year. Absolutely amazing view of the sun coming up in the morning, although my girlfriend's brain couldn't quite compute how cold it could be in Hawaii. Her face was so numb she couldn't talk. It was quite possibly the best day of my life

The bike ride back to sea level afterwards was a blast too. Downhill almost all the way, with some absolutely incredible views of the island.

Anyway, not doing that this time. Not sure it would be quite so romantic with rxfleming We both have separate plans for Sunday, but will catch up back at the hotel before we fly.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:20 am

I am planning to do the walk across the crater when I go. Digressing ever so slightly the boots, walking poles, contingency cold weather gear etc are my excuse for not going HBO.
Hope you guys have a great weekend.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Probably not for you this trip, but I love flying into Hilo on the Big Island, renting a truck, and driving the Saddle Road and the up Mauna Kea, to the top (ca 14,000 ft). Awesome views, above the clouds. I've also done a lot of exploring around the slopes of Mauna Loa. Simply stunning!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Absolutely loved Haleakala, and the road to Hana too. If you go the 'wrong' way round you avoid all the traffic, so the stretch on dirt track is definitely worth it.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Ha - loving the TR so far and the fact that filthymonkey will be on the BA001 tomorrow with me - such a long way for the weekend though!!!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:12 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Epic weekend. Puts into perspective me thinking 'will I have time to go shopping as well as watching football and a getting out on the bike!'

Price looks good. Is that due to the limited overnights?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
Wow, looks like a fanastic trip and looking forward to following this over the weekend. It will certainly make me very jealous as I'm planning on spending my weekend moving flat... not fun at all!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Was the F TATL a UuA or included for 1.3k?!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:40 am
formerly rxfleming
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
0. And they're off! (Glasgow, Glasgow Airport, Glasgow Lounge)

Day 1 31st July 2014.
Highlights Include: Packing, Getting to the Airport, Glasgow Lounge

Inspiration for this trip started a few weeks before I booked it. I was looking at keeping my BA Gold status, and was trying to find the cheapest route possible. There are well-known savings to be made using exEU Business Class tickets to go across the Atlantic that are well documented on this forum (I8SALE/I7SALE). My trip is expected to generate 1,040 TPs, and keep me Gold for another year!

When I left work yesterday for a few days of Annual Leave there was a slight confused hush when I told colleagues I was going to Hawaii. They all thought I was a bit mad! The OH is also in this mindset, although she was more upset about not being able to join me, however, next time I promise to take her and stay a few more days in Maui to allow her to enjoy the island.

So, for the next few days, I'm going to be living out of my 'Antler Revelation' Holdall (I always like to travel with a Holdall, they are easy to pack, carry, and shove into the overhead bin), somehow I expect chris1979 is having a wee panic attack just thinking about it

Bag
by notesfromaplane, on Flickr

So, after taking just half an hour to pack, and doing this at 8.30AM this morning, It was time to set off on my journey to Glasgow Airport.

I usually take the Glasgow Shuttle (run by First Glasgow) to the airport. It costs Ł6.00 a single and only takes about 25 minutes direct to the airport. Of course, with the Commonwealth Games in full swing and the Cycling Time Trial taking place today, I decided to leave a wee bit early and take a Taxi instead.

I arrived at the airport around 11am.

Glasgow Airport Welcome

Flags are still flying at Half Mast following the MH17 tragedy

Flags at Half Mast

Glasgow has been slowly upgrading their airport, and it is finally looking great. This is the new International Arrivals area, looking pretty smart!

International Arrivals

And once inside, people coming to Glasgow from abroad are welcomed in traditional commonwealth style

Glasgow Commonwealth

There was no need to use the check in desks today, as I have used my mobile to check in online, but this is the BA Check in area at Glasgow Airport - looking rather quiet for a Thursday morning

BA Desk

It was then upstairs to the Priority Security Line (available to all Sapphire and Emerald OW customers and those on Business UK Tickets)

Priority Security

Priority security

Security at Glasgow Airport is some of the best in the world - I never have to wait more than 5 minutes, ever. Once through, it was onwards to to the BA Lounge.

Outside the Lounge, they have placed down special 'running tracks' for the Commonwealth Games

Running track

The newly refurbished BA Lounge opened just over a year ago, and is really quite smart

BA Lounge

Lounge Access Rules (unless you fly US Airways supposedly!)

Untitled

And like all homegrown Scots, I love a wee Dram. The best part of the Lounge IMO is the 'Glenlivet' Whisky Snug.

Whisky Snug

Whisky Snug 2

View down the remainder of the lounge with views across the apron of the airport, so lots of natural light

Lounge Glasgow 1

The lounge is looking quiet for Thursday morning, and a few dignitaries are hanging around with security guards (not sure who he is, but I think he might be a Prime Minister or President of some Commonwealth Country...)

That's it for now!

Last edited by travelwithross; Jul 31, 2014 at 4:46 am
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:43 am
formerly rxfleming
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by teledude
Was the F TATL a UuA or included for 1.3k?!
It was a UuA
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I'm hooked already! Thanks guys

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.