Wiki Posts
Search

Bitter ex cancelled flight!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I am surprised BA actually did cancel the booking without talking to the OP. In all of my communications with BA they have always maintained that it did not matter who actually paid for the ticket and that any changes/cancellation could only be initiated by the passenger. The OP was as much BA's customer as their ex was...And BA should have sought his consent to cancel or at least re-instate the ticket when it became apparent that such consent was never given in the first place.
Yes this is what i thought also, as i did not get any warning that he cancelled the booking! and i did not give permission!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:13 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by moonbeam
Yes this is what i thought also, as i did not get any warning that he cancelled the booking! and i did not give permission!
Orbitmic and Cymro have jointly cleverly nailed this for you.

Go back to BA and explain that when your ex confirmed that he had your permission to cancel the ticket that this was untrue. Explain you were neither asked or agreed and still plan to travel. Ask them to reinstate the ticket but leave the other ticket canceled if they wish. That is the whole idea of the question pre-cancel. There are lots of practical reasons why tickets are aggregated to be on a single PNR.

Good luck.

Last edited by uk1; Jul 28, 2014 at 6:26 am
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by moonbeam
... on checking my account last week i noticed my ticket was not on the booking
I'm a bit confused... can you clarify what happened? As I understand it (and I've probably got some of this wrong):

a) He booked a flight for you to RAK, paid with his credit card and you paid him the cash.
b) The flight was booked separately from his, with a different PNR. Until recently you could see this booking in your MMB (but presumably not his booking?)
c) Last week you noticed "the ticket was not on the booking" - do you mean the whole booking has disappeared from MMB? Or can you still see the booking but the flights are missing? Or do you get a message saying the booking is in the process of being cancelled?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I'm a bit confused... can you clarify what happened? As I understand it (and I've probably got some of this wrong):

a) He booked a flight for you to RAK, paid with his credit card and you paid him the cash.
b) The flight was booked separately from his, with a different PNR. Until recently you could see this booking in your MMB (but presumably not his booking?)
c) Last week you noticed "the ticket was not on the booking" - do you mean the whole booking has disappeared from MMB? Or can you still see the booking but the flights are missing? Or do you get a message saying the booking is in the process of being cancelled?

yes he paid and i gave him cash
yes are on dif PNR
yes i get this message saying the booking is in the process of being cancelled?

thanks
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I agree it strengthens your position. I would write explaining dispassionately that your booking as been cancelled by an ex-without your authorisation and while you still intended to take your flight and ask that it be reinstated. Fingers crossed...
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
When you play around with bookings online you have to tick a box that confirms you have the permission of all the passengers on the booking to make changes. Does anyone know if that happens if you're the one that made the booking or only when you're one of the passengers on someone elses booking? If they do that online, it should strengthen the case of them asking if he has your permission to cancel the booking, which could then easily proved to be a lie.

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
In that case, you must go back to BA .... unless the ex is named as a 'third-party nominee'.
If someone makes a booking, doesn't it automatically give them third-party nominee privileges?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by aceman
If someone makes a booking, doesn't it automatically give them third-party nominee privileges?
You might think so but it doesn't. I had problems cancelling a booking I made (and paid! for Mr W. The agent insisted he had to speak with him.

Seems a bit strange really - it's not as if they have any way of verifying the identity of him on the phone. I thought about handing the phone to one of my colleagues but thought better of it.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
When you play around with bookings online you have to tick a box that confirms you have the permission of all the passengers on the booking to make changes. Does anyone know if that happens if you're the one that made the booking or only when you're one of the passengers on someone elses booking? If they do that online, it should strengthen the case of them asking if he has your permission to cancel the booking, which could then easily proved to be a lie.

when I make bookings for my parents they never touch the booking so wouldn't have had a chance to nominate me as someone to make changes on their behalf - I still get asked the question about authorisation when they're both on the one booking (accessing with PNR and name)
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line problem is that short of requiring both parties to physically appear with ID at a BA office and both to attest that the cancellation is sought, there is only so far that BA can go.

Customers want the convenience of easy and quick interactions with vendors, including air carriers. The first part of the fact pattern, e.g., one person books the couple, is hardly rare. The second part where the bitter ex cancels out of spite is more rare.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:48 am
Original Poster

on pphone to BA now seems he cancelled over phone and as i didn't use my card to make booking they dont need my permission to cancel it and they cant help me

Last edited by moonbeam; Jul 28, 2014 at 7:02 am
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I have recently made a booking for someone else - I am travelling on a 2-4-1 with my sister so she is with me and I made a separate cash booking for her partner. My contact details are in his booking (deliberately so) and therefore if there are any changes I get notified not him. BA have no way to contact him directly - he is not a BAEC member.

Post booking I called to do a UuA (using my avios) so in effect I was changing his booking but I didn't need him on the phone as well to do this.

When I look at my own booking with my sister and say try and change selected seats I get the tick box for me to confirm I have her permission. When I go in to MMB for his booking I can change whatever I want and not tick boxes. BA.com has no way to tell wehther I am going in to mmb or him. Therefore I don't need thrid party priviledges on his booking since BA.com doesn't know when you look at the booking that you are not the passenger traveling. I guess the reasoning is I paid for it so I have control - which frankly is common sense. If you don't want someone else to control your booking the take home message is pay for it using your own card.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
The question is now how did the ex cancel the OP's booking. If he had login/password info for the OP's online account then BA may well maintain that it was OP's fault to give out such information and that it is impossible to verify who actually confirmed the cancellation. If it was done over the phone then I don't see how and why would BA even speak to the ex regarding the OP's booking (if they are of the same sex then the ex could have pretended to be the OP, but if they are of the opposite sexes I don't see that happening).
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
If it was booked and paid for on his credit card then he is entitled to cancel it.....end of! It maybe unfortunate for the op but BA have done nothing wrong.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Andriyko
The question is now how did the ex cancel the OP's booking. If he had login/password info for the OP's online account then BA may well maintain that it was OP's fault to give out such information and that it is impossible to verify who actually confirmed the cancellation. If it was done over the phone then I don't see how and why would BA even speak to the ex regarding the OP's booking (if they are of the same sex then the ex could have pretended to be the OP, but if they are of the opposite sexes I don't see that happening).
I think your post got overtaken at the drafting stage, now seems it was cancelled by phone. Does seem to run contrary to the SOP others have encountered though - odd.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
I guess the reasoning is I paid for it so I have control - which frankly is common sense. If you don't want someone else to control your booking the take home message is pay for it using your own card.
It does not matter who paid for the ticket. Only the passenger can make any changes. If your sister's partner were a BAEC member and the number were in the booking you'd be asked to log-in to make any changes. If you did not know the log-in information you would not be able to control the booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.