Is LGW baggage reclaim getting worse?

Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Is LGW baggage reclaim getting worse?

Flew back this afternoon from Malaga. Long walk from the aircraft to the baggage reclaim area. A further hour wait for the bags to arrive on the belt. Flights earlier than ours were still waiting for the belts to be announced, including one flight that had landed an hour before us. BA were making regular announcements apologising "on behalf of Swissport" for the delay. Is this getting worse?

On a separate, but not unexpected, note our CE "priority"-tagged cases were numbers 43 and 50 on the belt. And yes, I am that sad that I now count!
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA exec club, Flying Blue, VFC, IHG Rewards, EasyJet Plus
That sounds about normal - last time I came back from JER it was much longer waiting for the baggage than the entire flight before. It's probably why BA offer "hand baggage only" fares from LGW

TT
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
BA contracted out baggage handling at Gatwick.

This is the result.

Always bad at the week- ends.

Complain to BA

Otherwise things will get worse and it will be acceptable that it is quicker to fly than to get through the border and get your bag.

We can't all use hand baggage only fares, either, I sometimes have to take items in my baggage that are not accepted as cabin baggage.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
It's the same at Heathrow. I am afraid to say that baggage handling and services at BA are simply woeful- easily the worst of any major airline that I have flown. I am always nervous when flying with checked luggage.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
BA contracted out baggage handling at Gatwick.

This is the result.
I remember it being quite poor before it was contracted out too.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
It's the same at Heathrow.
At T5 I think BA are some of the best in terms of speed. I often come down from immigration to see the bags already appearing.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:11 pm

Regardless as to how good or bad the baggage handling was when it was in house, the situation is that BA have contracted out the service, they presumably have service standards.
To blame swissport is wrong. Presumably, IF BA service standards are not being maintained by swissport then BA will get compensated. If that is the case so should the customer.

As a passenger, I would have thought I could have my bag back within 30mins. On a short haul service.

On domestics, easyjet are quicker.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Worth noting that Gatwick actively monitor this on a month by month basis and 'league' up airlines and handling agents.

http://www.gatwickairport.com/busine...gage-delivery/

Edit: not so active, but gives an idea I suppose.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
have to agree baggage handling is Gatwicks downfall. I quite like departing from LGW as it is closer to me than LHR, but on return there is nothing worse than waiting 45 minutes at the baggage belt. Ive actively started booking trips from LHR that i know i will have to check a bag on
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

My AMS-LGW flight was delayed by an hour this afternoon. The reason given was a delay to the outbound aircraft. This delay was evidently precipitated by a staff shortage in baggage handling during the earlier turn-around at Gatwick.

That shoddy performance by baggage handlers is having a ripple effect to general operational performance is quite intolerable and needs immediate action.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I thought the long walk to passport control was designed to give the baggage handlers as much time as possible to get the bags to the reclaim...but then I'm cynical like that!
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:53 pm

From the performance stats then most easyjet passengers have their bags within 20 mins.

Most BA passengers do not.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Dan72
At T5 I think BA are some of the best in terms of speed. I often come down from immigration to see the bags already appearing.
Maybe I'm just unlucky but this year I have had waits of between 15 minutes (ok) to 2.5 hours (not ok).

At Amsterdam I have literally never had to wait- it's always been waiting for me when I've got there.

My experience of baggage handling at T5 is that it's woeful.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
I thought you might like to see BA's response to my complaint. For once, they do acknowledge they understood what my complaint is but, as usual, do not say they are going to do anything specific about it.

"Dear tuff

Thank you for your email dated 27 January 2014. I am sorry we could not reply to you sooner. I am also concerned to learn that you had to wait so long at the carousel for your luggage on your arrival at London Gatwick airport on 26 January 2014. I can understand how frustrating it must have been for you. I realise you did not expect the delay to your luggage particularly as it had a priority baggage tag attached to it. I apologise for the inconvenience we caused you.

We aim to deliver bags to the terminal as quickly as possible after arrival, as we know our customers need to continue with the next part of their journey. If there is a delay it can be for a number of reasons, for example, valuable cargo needing to be collected first. This can prevent us from delivering the bags to the terminal as speedily as we would like.

I would like to inform you that, when our customers report an issue to us, we do everything we can to put it right immediately. Some things we can resolve either straightaway, or a short time later if we have to consult our colleagues. Realistically, some of the issues can take longer, because we need to research the right solution before we can make a change – either to our aircraft or terminals or in the way we serve our customers.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We value you as a Gold member of our Executive Club. I realise we have not met our usual high standards this time, and I hope that there will be more for you and and your travel companion to enjoy when you next fly with us.

Best regards"
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Originally Posted by tuff
I thought you might like to see BA's response to my complaint. [...] "
Ups, not even some avios as an apology?

I really try to avoid checking luggage with BA, luckily I achieve this in 99% The waiting at T5 can be ridiculous at times IMHO. And I don't really know why, other (well, most) airports do handle this quite well. And I don't expect a standard like in Singapore, but even FRA manages better.

Well, let's see what happens next week on my flight to CPT...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.