Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bag Transfer at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Bag Transfer at JFK

I think the answer to this question is clear but I have been asked to check.

We are flying AMS TO LHR (2hr transfer) - JFK (20 hour transfer) - SFO. The last flight is under a BA flight number operated by AA. I would never have worked this out without FT so I remain grateful.

As to bags, I was assuming we could check in and collect BPs for all three sectors at AMS; collect them t JFK, lug them through US customs and recheck them immediately to SFO; then pootle off to our hotel in New York baggage free.

But someone has suggested that because the transfer in NYC involves an overnight stay this will not be possible. May I ask whether anyone has knowledge of this?

Thanks a lot.

By the way I also looking forward to comparing AA transcontinental first to BA LH first. I am sad like that...
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I believe it's a 12 hour limit at JFK. I've not tried it myself obviously... You can find out in T7 since there is a recheck there, so you won't have to go to T8 to find this out.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I believe it's a 12 hour limit at JFK. I've not tried it myself obviously... You can find out in T7 since there is a recheck there, so you won't have to go to T8 to find this out.
..which just shows that the answer wasn't clear. I'm glad I asked. Thanks a lot. Anyone know for sure?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
For a 20 hour stop over with overnight stay, I would much prefer to have my bags with me. You have to collect your bags to clear customer at T7 anyway.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Bag Transfer at JFK

Being of the "I check my bags in" brigade, I think this is possible.

I did AMS LCY JFK (night stop for 15 hours) MIA LAX recently. They tagged bag all the way to LAX with a next day date on it and assured me it would work. I didn't quite trust it so waited at the carousel in JFK and when my bag came out, took it with me and re-checked the next day. I am being told though that someone would have collected it and it would have all worked.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KenJohn
For a 20 hour stop over with overnight stay, I would much prefer to have my bags with me. You have to collect your bags to clear customer at T7 anyway.
A chacun son goűt. We'd rather not have the luggage with us for that night. Hence the question
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris1979

I did AMS LCY JFK (night stop for 15 hours) MIA LAX recently. They tagged bag all the way to LAX with a next day date on it and assured me it would work. I didn't quite trust it so waited at the carousel in JFK and when my bag came out, took it with me and re-checked the next day. I am being told though that someone would have collected it and it would have all worked.
I would personally be nervous abut just leaving it the wrong side of customs. but that is encouraging thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by hsmall
Quote:

I would personally be nervous abut just leaving it the wrong side of customs. but that is encouraging thanks.
Apols that I didn't spell it out - this was BA001 from LCY so bags cleared customs in SNN and we arrived as "domestic" in JFK.

The overall principle that they are happy to hold your bag overnight (after you have cleared customs and dropped it on the next belt) should still work though.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Apols that I didn't spell it out - this was BA001 from LCY so bags cleared customs in SNN and we arrived as "domestic" in JFK.

The overall principle that they are happy to hold your bag overnight (after you have cleared customs and dropped it on the next belt) should still work though.
Of course. Sorry.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:44 am

Should be no difference for LHR flights since baggage recheck is after JFK T7 customs anyway.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by KenJohn
Quote:

Should be no difference for LHR flights since baggage recheck is after JFK T7 customs anyway.
There is no customs nor was there any obviously visible recheck after arrival on BA001 though.

I was lead to believe that I wouldn't need to collect bag at all but just get on with my day and let the magic behind the scenes work. I checked the carousel just in case (as I wasn't convinced) and when my bag appeared (having been told it wouldn't), I took it with me.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:57 am

There is no customs nor was there any obviously visible recheck after arrival on BA001 though.

I was lead to believe that I wouldn't need to collect bag at all but just get on with my day and let the magic behind the scenes work. I checked the carousel just in case (as I wasn't convinced) and when my bag appeared (having been told it wouldn't), I took it with me.
There is a recheck desk but it is near the international flights exit, The domestic exit is separate and is on the other side of Terminal 7.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by hsmall
I think the answer to this question is clear but I have been asked to check.

We are flying AMS TO LHR (2hr transfer) - JFK (20 hour transfer) - SFO. The last flight is under a BA flight number operated by AA. I would never have worked this out without FT so I remain grateful.

As to bags, I was assuming we could check in and collect BPs for all three sectors at AMS; collect them t JFK, lug them through US customs and recheck them immediately to SFO; then pootle off to our hotel in New York baggage free.

But someone has suggested that because the transfer in NYC involves an overnight stay this will not be possible. May I ask whether anyone has knowledge of this?

Thanks a lot.

By the way I also looking forward to comparing AA transcontinental first to BA LH first. I am sad like that...
I suggest that you have a Plan B, in case the re-check desk refuses to accept your checked baggage.

I believe that there are a couple of terminals at JFK that offer overnight luggage-storage services (for a fee). I think that these services are only available at T1 and T4; if that is the case, you could take the AirTrain (for free) to one of those terminals to store your bags. And obviously, you would have to make a stop there to reclaim your bags the next day, before proceeding to T8 to check them in for your flight on AA.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
The AA policy is that a 12 hour limit apply to any checked luggage. This is not an airport policy or restraint at JFK. If BA tag your bag all the way to SFO and you simply just drop off the bag you should be able to get it through and it will be held overnight.

However, if an AA employee sees that bag, they will insist it cannot be checked in overnight (which is correct under AA policy). So I would try to avoid going to an agent and just drop off the bag at JFK if possible. BA will have no problems issuing the bag tags to the best of my knowledge; however AA's SABRE will not allow BTs to be issued on connections that involve overnight stays of more than 12 hours at most airports.

There are exceptions to this rule for some individual airports (most notable LAX).
Old Aug 2, 2014, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA0197
The AA policy is that a 12 hour limit apply to any checked luggage. This is not an airport policy or restraint at JFK. If BA tag your bag all the way to SFO and you simply just drop off the bag you should be able to get it through and it will be held overnight.

However, if an AA employee sees that bag, they will insist it cannot be checked in overnight (which is correct under AA policy). So I would try to avoid going to an agent and just drop off the bag at JFK if possible. BA will have no problems issuing the bag tags to the best of my knowledge; however AA's SABRE will not allow BTs to be issued on connections that involve overnight stays of more than 12 hours at most airports.

There are exceptions to this rule for some individual airports (most notable LAX).
Just to say that I will try (tomorrow week) and let you all know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.