Onboard paid upgrade

Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Question Onboard paid upgrade

Hello!

Having been discontinued in the past, there are reports of a limited trial being reintroduced in 2012 to allow for onboard paid upgrades. I am a little unclear as to whether this trial was extended, maintained, discontinued or indeed whether the programme was formally reintroduced. Does anyone have any information on this, please?

Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by frequentglobetrotter
Hello!

Having been discontinued in the past, there are reports of a limited trial being reintroduced in 2012 to allow for onboard paid upgrades. I am a little unclear as to whether this trial was extended, maintained, discontinued or indeed whether the programme was formally reintroduced. Does anyone have any information on this, please?

Thanks!
If upgrades are available onboard, you would need to ask the CSD.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I don't believe that there have been any reports since last year. See these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...al+csd+upgrade
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...al+csd+upgrade

Prior to this trial ability to upgrade onboard went away in 2008:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-onboard.html
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't know why I know this (was it here? was it a conversation with a CSD?) but my recollection is that the functionality was put into the iPads, and a trial started where CSDs could offer a paid upgrade and take credit card payment. However it seemed to be a very limited trial and it wasn't continued after a few months on select routes.

I further suspect that BA aren't needing to try quite so hard to get payment for CE/CW occupancy, thanks to the general economic situation.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The trial has finished and BA have decided not to have a pay onboard facility.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Can I help you
The trial has finished and BA have decided not to have a pay onboard facility.
Apart from the crew aspect, I think that from a passenger's perspective it may not have been the best solution indeed. Few people knew about it, but if a CSD approaches passengers to propose them to buy a paid upgrade it may feel a bit "Ryanairish" in terms of trying to push sales. If it is knowledgeable passengers contacting CSDs, paying and moving, it may well mistakenly look to other passengers around like "wild upgrades" which would not give a good image (however unfairly). Rather have BA increase possibilities for OLCI or airport upgrades if need be.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There wasn't a strong demand and the costs of putting a robust infrastructure in place outweighed the revenue benefit.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
In addition, my own feeling is that the cc and the Csd have enough to do during boarding without going round and touting for paid upgrades.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:16 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Can I help you
There wasn't a strong demand and the costs of putting a robust infrastructure in place outweighed the revenue benefit.
Why would you need a robust infrastructure ? Just add an item to the onboard sales catalogue that is "upgrades"

CSD has the manifest and the catering so no need to over complicate things.

In any event,I think upgrading on board for cash is generally a bad idea and has more downside than up
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
Didn't they used to give you a letter which said something like "Here is your upgrade, you are very naughty for leaving it to the last minute!"
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by frequentglobetrotter
Having been discontinued in the past, there are reports of a limited trial being reintroduced in 2012 to allow for onboard paid upgrades.
whew! For a moment I thought I was living in the past!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.