Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios Surcharges on 2 x single flights vs 1 x return

Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred Plus

Hi All

I am trying to plan a redemption booking for August next year - yes I know! - and spoke to the GCH line about this and they recommended booking the outward flight as soon as availability allows as a single flight out, then the return when it becomes available 2 weeks later.

Leaving aside the availability question, does anyone know if the surcharges, taxes etc of two single bookings ought to be more or the same as a similar flight booked as a return?

As they are "allegedly" only taxes and fuel surcharges, they should be the same. I did a dummy booking on some available dates and they were different. For 4 x CW seats LHR to SFO surcharges were Ł1529 out and Ł1127 return for singles and Ł2312 for a return booking.

What are my chances arguing the point with BA on this one?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Chance of arguing the point? You can argue, chance of winning the argument: Zero.

BA has different fuel surcharges for different routes. Other surcharges may differ based upon routing. For example, fuel surcharges for flights from the US are greater than those from the UK.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rn-ticket.html
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Chance of arguing the point? You can argue, chance of winning the argument: Zero.

BA has different fuel surcharges for different routes. Other surcharges may differ based upon routing. For example, fuel surcharges for flights from the US are greater than those from the UK.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rn-ticket.html
Thanks Jerry, I had not appreciated the difference in taxes from the USA.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
how about booking as a day return then change the flight as it comes out. date change is "just" 30 quid/head.not 800.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Come back on Aer Lingus from SFO. Tax will be Ł10ish.

Airberlin has some West Coast options as well IIRC, tax Ł10ish one way from the US.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:49 am

Why wouldn't you just phone to add the return sector to your booking when (if?) it becomes available?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Why wouldn't you just phone to add the return sector to your booking when (if?) it becomes available?
Well I will if that is indeed how it can be done, turning a one way into a return.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka
how about booking as a day return then change the flight as it comes out. date change is "just" 30 quid/head.not 800.
Neat idea, thanks
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
This works fine, I've done it on a number of occasions - call up to add the return and they automatically calculate the taxes correctly
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cutting42
Well I will if that is indeed how it can be done, turning a one way into a return.
I've done it before, yet some agents say it's not possible/can't do it and gVe had to cancel the one-way and rebook. If this happens, the original flights may not drop back into reward availability. I have yet to work out if this is a trIning issue or a system constraint
Other on here may be able to corroborate or correct my experience

(Edit)Oh and you will be charged a change fee per person

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.