Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Urgent help needed! BA are being impossible! - Ticket dilemna

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Urgent help needed! BA are being impossible! - Ticket dilemna

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:30 am

Due to some pretty crap circumstances (family issues)

Is this covered by your travel insurance?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Welcome ClaireDee to the forum.

Unfortunately you have been caught by the rules on both of your issues. Airlines tend not to bend the rules because otherwise customers would just purchase the cheapest ticket possible and then try and convince the airline to allow them to make changes at a later date. So it's not a personal vendetta against you, it's just that they can't bend the rules for one person without bending them for everyone.

Does the restrictive ticket allow you any changes for a fee?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While it's frustrating in the moment, OP chose to purchase cheaper and more restricted tickets.

It's a risk analysis as to whether you buy the cheaper and restricted or more expensive and less restricted tickets. And, as others note, the way to manage risk is insurance. Whether OP's "cr*p" circumstances are insureable is something we don't and don't need to know.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
Are you absolutely certain about this? I have always seen this information quite clearly presented on ba.com (I assume you bought on ba.com?) before the purchase screen.

Can you replicate the booking that you made, and check do you really not see the warnings and fare rules?
For reference this was the older format which had the fare conditions:

and this is the newer format when booking on ba.com - I think the newer format has been around for at least a few months:

Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by cosmo74
Given that even the low cost carriers are generally very good about doing name changes, I really don't see why BA aren't willing to do this for a small fee so that at least your daughter can use your business class ticket.
So you would be quite happy if I bought all the tickets on some major holiday routes in summer and popular routes at Christmas?

For a small fee (in my eyes at least), I would be happy to assign a ticket to your name, if you want ticket on one of those flights.

I do think BA have a reason for this policy; and as others have said, if the passenger has a good reason not to be able to fly, travel insurance will cover this.

To my mind this works in everyone's favour.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ClaireDee
Bought a ticket from London to Vancouver - didn't realise it was a non refundable/exchangeable ticket (booked online, and there were no warnings/explicit information telling us it was a certain type of ticket - VERY unfair!)
Originally Posted by KARFA
and this is the newer format when booking on ba.com - I think the newer format has been around for at least a few months:
I think that the newer format has been around for a lot longer than a few months now.

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 9:46 am
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think that the newer format has been around for a lot longer than a few months now.
Thanks Globaliser. I couldn't quite remember how long the new format had been around so was being cautious.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
Are you absolutely certain about this? I have always seen this information quite clearly presented on ba.com (I assume you bought on ba.com?) before the purchase screen.

Can you replicate the booking that you made, and check do you really not see the warnings and fare rules?
It's there and you also have to check a box to confirm you have read and understood everything...
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by agehall
It's there and you also have to check a box to confirm you have read and understood everything...
Thanks agehall. I have just checked myself now and done a dummy booking, and the new format "About your flights" section is there open on the price quote page just under the "save money on your booking" bit. No need to unhide it or click on anything to make it display. You have to scroll past it on your way to the bottom of the page to get to the check box confirming you have read everything.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
ClaireDee , unfortunately the law is on BA's side here.
have you / can you document this familial misfortune as in surgery, deat what have you and appeal to the " human side" of BA ?
Good reminder upstream....assume the " cheaper " fares, hotel rooms etc come with NO Cancelation clause.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:34 pm

Stepping away from the specifics of this one for a second, I wonder if people realise they are buying a cheaper ticket. Ba.com isn't like some sites where you see a range of fares from fully restricted to fully flex in the same cabin.
It seems quite possible that someone paying £3,000+ may think that is full price and assume it carries some flex.

Of course none of this alters the fact that people should read the t&cs, but it may explain the surprise they feel when something like this happens.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
It seems quite possible that someone paying £3,000+ may think that is full price and assume it carries some flex.
But it really shouldn't be a surprise. I use ba.com a lot and often buy restricted CW tix. It's pretty clear as you click through, that there are terms and conditions that BA highlights for you and gets you confirm that you have read. Away from your point, and like most here, I'm sympathetic to her situation, it is the way it is and it's tough to see how and why BA should make an exception.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:02 pm

I agree that frequent users would know. I just think someone who rarely buys long haul tickets may not know the going rate.

But that's even more reason to check the small print. I'm not excusing such behaviour, just musing on how it might happen.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC, Virgin
Try calling again re: canceling the return ticket.

I had to miss a segment of a return (BA delay = missed connection and I could get to my destination faster by driving than getting the next BA flight the next day). I called them and the woman understood the situation and made sure my return flights were not cancelled. If there are serious family problems then they may be lenient.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
I have a certain sympathy for the OP

it is a timely warning to check the conditions of the ticket one purchases and it is not as if it is "small print" the conditions are quite clearly stated

depending on the exact circumstances that have required a change to be made I would look at any travel insurance you may have to see if you can work something out through that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.