LCY connections - why so expensive?

Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

Hi all,

Recently been researching an EDI-LON-DUS trip in CE. Oddly, if I decided to take CityFlyer and go EDI-LCY-DUS, the fare is about double than if I connect directly through LHR.

Just curious as to why that would be...

I can see that if I put the same flight times in and leave off the domestic leg, the prices are just about equal from LHR and LCY to DUS.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
At a guess, no valid through-fares via LCY.

Have you checked the fare construction on the cheapest LCY tickets to see if it's using a through-fare or combining EDI-LCY-EDI and LCY-DUS-LCY fares?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Bingo. You're right.

Thanks for a clear and concise answer.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
As a silver card holder, and indeed looking to travel in CE, any particular reason why you would chose to transit through LCY when there is no lounge?

Avoiding transferring through LHR is the only thing I can think of!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BA's goal is to focus LCY on O&D traffic and to move transfers through LHR/LGW. That high-end O&D traffic is enormously profitable, but the constraints of LCY functionally limit flights and thus traffic.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by Often1
BA's goal is to focus LCY on O&D traffic and to move transfers through LHR/LGW. That high-end O&D traffic is enormously profitable, but the constraints of LCY functionally limit flights and thus traffic.
In that case, why does BA codeshare with AB on the LCY-EDI (and possibly other routes)?

It must be AB offering Germany-LCY-EDI fares.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
As a silver card holder, and indeed looking to travel in CE, any particular reason why you would chose to transit through LCY when there is no lounge?

Avoiding transferring through LHR is the only thing I can think of!
None at all! It just came up as an option when searching and was curious. Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole myself.

I would always transfer through LHR for the lounges. I don't fancy rattling around LCY for any more than half an hour.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.