Wiki Posts
Search

BA 787 with children.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Westjet Platinum, ALL Limitless, Amex Platinum
BA 787 with children.

So I have a choice for a BA longhaul overnight flight from North America to Heathrow. Operated by a 787 aircraft.

Two adults, a 3 year old and a 7 month old.

Would you go for WTP or CW? Both are availble, and cost is not an issue. All seats in both cabins available.

I'm thinking WTP front middle 3 seats. Have previously done J with just one infant but that was a 747 with middle seat pairs. Whilst I normally jump at J, I wondered if this was the rare occasion where WTP actually has the edge (i'm worried about access to the toddler who has to be seated).

Thoughts?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Alamo Insiders, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold
Could you maybe go for something like seats 2J+K and 3J? The toddler could have 2K and whoever sits in 3J would have direct access and not have to worry about climbing over other passengers.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
A middle block of three in either class looks sensible!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
I flew in WTP on one of the refurbished 777's last year and it was perfectly acceptable. Obviously not as good as J, but I found it comfortable enough.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
A middle block of three in either class looks sensible!
If doing this in CW, is there an argument for getting (say) 2DF and 1E, so that the parents in the aisle seats have easy access to the child in the middle seat, and the child doesn't bother anyone else if trying to get out?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
I am taking my 2 yr old on the 787 in CW later this year and am worrying about the same thing.

The only issue is obviously at take off and landing when the toddler needs to be seated and as you say, there are no pairs like on the 744 for easy access.

With the shutter down the actual distance to an adjacent seat is minimal but there is no direct access from where the picture is being taken (3A) if the little one decides they want to escape during TO&L. I think it all depends on how well your 3 year old can understand the concept that they cannot take of their belt for a while, and if a few feet of separation will upset them (I worry this will in my case!).

I spoke to CC about a couple of solutions;

Car Seat - They said one definitely could be fitted to a CW seat, though because I am on a quiet route, I neglected to ask about storage during the flight.

Hoping for an empty pair of seats in WT+ or WT for TO&L - Was told if space was available then this was an acceptable solution.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Helpful posts - thanks so much.
Its actually a full year until the flight - at present have no idea how the 3 year old will react, I know just now she couldn't deal with it very well.

Like LOUDNOISES says, its the parts of the flight when they have to be in their own seat which creates the potential issue.

Thats an interesting idea Globaliser - We would have her trapped! The disadvantage would be no bassinet for the 7 month old - but we would have an effective central 'play pen'.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If doing this in CW, is there an argument for getting (say) 2DF and 1E, so that the parents in the aisle seats have easy access to the child in the middle seat, and the child doesn't bother anyone else if trying to get out?
In principle this would be an excellent idea. However my understanding is that the child needs to be in the same row as and seated next to at least one parent so the proposal will not be achievable.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Yes and having just looked some pictures of the cw cabin, there's no way you'd even be able to see her in the middle seat from the central aisle seats.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Maybe the best CW solution is 6JK, and 7K. Mum and infant in 6J bassinet, Toddler in 6K and Dad in 7K.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

The more I look at this the more the dark side appeals. We are flying edmonton to edi/gla - one way travel. Icelandair and air transat seem to offer better flight times - air transat is 350pm from calgary direct to gla, arrive 7am. Ba is 2230, arrive heathrow about 2 ish and then connection to arrive edi about 5. Iceland air will take me straight from edmonton, but involves a connection in iceland (a scary 50 mins between flights). No bassinet on icelandair but £350 saving. Those with kids any experience of timings? My gut feeling is maybe air transat timings and direct flight trumping any additional comfort on ba j/w. I always choose BA by default because of their service, esp with children.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:19 am

The direct flight is a godsend, however you will suffer for it on air transat's 9 across A330! :O (mind you if you are paying premium it won't be so bad). Can probably get a bassinet on AT also if you can bag the front row of the prem cabin.

I'd avoid Icelandair as tempting as it is...with a toddler as well you are really going to want that bassinet to keep the little one out of the way and happy!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 am
Original Poster

BA 787 with children.

Yeah would be normal economy seats on air transat, but could get bulkhead seats and bassinet. Iceland air's Achilles heal is no bassinet.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Just following on from this - we went with the BA flight in the end.

The BA TATL outbound flight is now on a 767 due to late arrival of the 787s. It's just my wife and nearly 2 year old travelling (sharing a seat).

Anybody out there know about the bassinet seat in CW on 767? I've currently put them in seat 4k, as I thought that might give them a nice little space, but am now tempted by 4b, the bassinet seat (I think the actual bassinet itself may be of little use to a near 2 year old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.