Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA12 SIN - LHR flight change Oct 26

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:29 am
Original Poster

BA12 SIN - LHR flight change Oct 26

I have just been on manage my booking and have seen that my flight BA12 has been changed from the A380 to a 747. We had paid for the pair of seats together on the upper deck as there are just the two of us travelling (the same as our seats outward on the A380 LHR - HK) but now as the plane has been changed we have been allocated seats 34 JH - an aisle seat and a middle seat in a set of three seats. Firstly does anyone know why the plane has been changed:confused :It did say when we booked that the A380 would be operating Sing - LHR from 1 October and that is why we chose the specific flight! Has the start date been changed?? Also has anyone any experience of the 747 from Singapore???? and surely as we have paid more for specific seats, set of two together , on a specific plane, have we been charged more for less (If you know what I mean)

Thanks

Maureen
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:31 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
There have been a lot of changes to the schedule including A380/787 routes and aircraft allocation.

You can either request a refund for your seat selection, or should be able to select upper deck seats on the 747 for free (I think the price is the same for A380 and 747 upper deck).
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply!! I have had a look on the BA seat map and it not showing any WT seats on the upper deck they all seem to be on the lower deck.

I think I will maybe give BA a ring and see what they say!!

Thanks

maureen
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: ABBA
Hi jimmymcs, welcome to this forum, I'm sorry to hear it's bad news that brings you here.

There are some pairs of seats at the back of the plane you may be able to get, but I agree that a 747 is a disappointing downgrade from an A380.

Be aware that many people here don't understand what "economy" is. Thanks to a selection of tips and tricks, people routinely fly in Business and First cabins for far less than others (like myself) pay in economy. Stick around and this may be your last flight you don't get a bed on!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, jimmymcs!
Originally Posted by jimmymcs
We had paid for the pair of seats together on the upper deck as there are just the two of us travelling (the same as our seats outward on the A380 LHR - HK) but now as the plane has been changed we have been allocated seats 34 JH - an aisle seat and a middle seat in a set of three seats.
I assume you're booked in economy, with those seat numbers?

If so, then the nearest equivalent on a 747 is the pairs of twin seats at the very aft of the aircraft. They're good for couples in that there are just two seats together, so neither of you is in a middle seat and there's no stranger climbing out over either of you (and no need to climb out over a stranger). But the downsides include them being close to the toilets at the very aft of the cabin, so there can be queues and disturbance; you're pretty much the last passengers to disembark; and this part of the cabin moves around more in turbulence.

If 33 is the front row of economy, then I don't think that there's anything else that's really close in terms of layout. You could see if BA would put you into a bulkhead seat at rows 39/40 if you'd prefer that.

If 28 is the front row of economy, then you could ask whether BA would put you in 28BC or 28HJ. IMHO, these are the best economy seats on the 744 fleet, especially for a couple. But you might get resistance to this because they're exit row sets and non-Golds can normally only get them from 14 days before the flight.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks for the reply!! I have had a look on the BA seat map and it not showing any WT seats on the upper deck they all seem to be on the lower deck.

I think I will maybe give BA a ring and see what they say!!

Thanks

maureen
The 747 only has business on the upper deck and economy will be of the older design on the lower deck at the rear.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:08 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, forgot WT was on both decks on the A380 and had assumed you were in CW.. 747 has only CW on the upper deck.

You will be eligible for a refund of the seat selection fee: http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...es-and-refunds
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for replies!! Are there any extra Legroom seats on this plane?? Are they only the emergency exit seats??

Maureen
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are there any extra Legroom seats on this plane?? Are they only the emergency exit seats??
I seem to recall that the bulkhead seats at the forward end of the big cabin (ie 40ABC, 40DEFG and 39HJK) are classed as extra legroom seats. These are not exit row seats.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply^ I am not sure of the bulkhead seats as I dont like the fact that the armrests cant be moved. I think I may give BA a call and check how much it would be to upgrade to WT+
It might be worth it as this will be the FIFTH flight on our trip, and the last flight home so we could maybe do with a bit of comfort!!!

Thanks again for all the information and help^^

Maureen
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Hi Maureen - I took the 747 from SIN in March (as part of SYD return), had paid quite a bit for WTP on return. It was a very old aircraft and the seats weren't comfy (perhaps worn?)

There was actually a single seat either side at the front of the cabin which looked quite a good choice, however disappointed with the WTP offer on this route. I don't think I'd pay for this upgrade unless a very good price.

HOWEVER, after weeks of following FT I have bagged ex-osl Club World to Sydney next year and it is barely more than I paid WTP this year. The tips found here are priceless ^
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I may give BA a call and check how much it would be to upgrade to WT+
Without knowing your date of travel, it's difficult to know which variety of 747 is being planned for your flight (hence not knowing whether the first row of economy is 28 or 33).

If the first row of economy is 33 on your aircraft, then WT+ will have the single seats at 28B and 28J. These are exit row seats. Immediately behind them are 29AB and 29JK, which are good for a couple because 29A and 29K have no seat in front of them and can get out by going forward between 28B/28J and the door. So the person in 29B or 29J does not have to be disturbed. 29AB and 29JK are also exit row seats.

Although WT+ is nowhere near business class by any means, most of us find that it's still a significant step up from normal economy, especially if you can't get any good seats in economy. So definitely have a look at the price for this.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:00 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Without knowing your date of travel, it's difficult to know which variety of 747 is being planned for your flight (hence not knowing whether the first row of economy is 28 or 33).
SIN looks like its always scheduled as a Hi-J 744.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nux
SIN looks like its always scheduled as a Hi-J 744.
It would actually have been easier if I'd read the whole of the thread title!

BA12 SIN-LHR on 26 October is indeed a high-J 747 - economy starting at row 33. At the aft of the cabin, two of the six pairs of twin seats have gone (51BC and 51HJ).

This is the configuration with the good seats in WT+. And at the moment, none of those have been taken.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:14 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Globaliser;23231279]It would actually have been easier if I'd read the whole of the thread title!

BA12 SIN-LHR on 26 October is indeed a high-J 747 - economy starting at row 33. At the aft of the cabin, two of the six pairs of twin seats have gone (51BC and 51HJ).

This is the configuration with the good seats in WT+. And at the moment, none of those have been taken.[/QUO

Yes I can see on MMB that the first pair of seats on each side have gone, was maybe going to take the next row as that is available although nearer the toilets

Is there any chance that the plane could be changed again before October ??? Just wondering whether to hold off doing anything until nearer the time?????

Maureen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.