Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones Star Denied Access to British Airways Club Lounge [Under age]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:01 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite

I love these threads. You get to see the "real" FTer behind the name. She wasn't a DYKWIA. She explicitly tried to access a "benefit" that is published as part of her fare class/ticket. BA cannot support under 18s who pay for an adult ticket and fly solo in Business at their home base. But they can at NYC?

Speaks wonders how mishmash BA can really be.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:12 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by rxfleming
I love these threads. You get to see the "real" FTer behind the name. She wasn't a DYKWIA. She explicitly tried to access a "benefit" that is published as part of her fare class/ticket. BA cannot support under 18s who pay for an adult ticket and fly solo in Business at their home base. But they can at NYC?

Speaks wonders how mishmash BA can really be.
^

She had a J ticket. She tried to access the lounge. She was refused. End of story.

I don't see any "attitude problem", just a frustrated customer. And a customer that BA might want to keep onside in view of potential future spend.

The fact is BA did not find a solution or workaround to a customer who found themselves excluded from the lounge. For someone with probably a £2k ticket - poor.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:16 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
If she's paid for a business class ticket she should get the full business class service.
There is bound to be small print somewhere that says that admittance into lounges as part of a business class ticket is still subject to existing policy that does not permit entry to under 18s.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I think she made a concise well made point and Twitter is an incredibly effective way of getting that point across.
If "sort your .... out" is a "concise well made point", those monkeys will be producing the entire works of Shakespeare sooner than we thought.
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Compare with the regular mature "adults" that can be seen arguing about lounge entry with the receptionists at the T5 lounges.
Bad attitude? Compared to some of the hissy fits we've seen on here for far less reason she's rather calm! If my children had made such comments, I'd agree with them.
The over-18s we see similarly ranting at lounge desks, on FT and on Twitter should be equally ashamed of themselves, and should get equally short shrift.

When even parents support and encourage such behaviour, it's unsurprising that the world is now such a discourteous and nasty place.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
My immediate reaction to this is
"BA did not consider her important enough to allocated a full time SS adult to accompany her during her stay in the Galleries to monitor that she did not touch the alcohol."

How did they know she was under 21?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:23 am
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
Unhappy Let your children use bad language and make stupid comments? Really?

Bad attitude? Compared to some of the hissy fits we've seen on here for far less reason she's rather calm! If my children had made such comments, I'd agree with them.

If she's paid for a business class ticket she should get the full business class service.
I do not think all parents agree with you that it is proper for their children (or themselves) to use the word for human faeces like that.

However, the statement made no sense, because she implied that British Airways had made a mistake ("get your [act] together") when it fact they made no mistake but simply enforced their own rules. She knew this. Therefore, the comment comes of as also rather unintelligent. I am not sure you would support your children in implying that somebody should undo their mistake, when your children would know clearly and well that there was no mistake at all.

Since she is so upset, and she has tried this before, she could have chosen another airline instead. Good grief.

I understand that many parents let their children roam wild to the paramount pain of other innocent people. However, the fact that many parents do so, does not make it right.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Originally Posted by Andy33
Indeed. I had a work colleague who at 26, and a married mother of two children, was still asked for proof of age. It got her really annoyed, as you can imagine. We did suggest that if the situation continued into her 40s she might be happier about it.
My sister was once once asked for proof of age in a pub when she was over 40. Her 20 year old son who was with her was served without comment
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
... When even parents support and encourage such behaviour, it's unsurprising that the world is now such a discourteous and nasty place.
I do hope that comment was not directed at me.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Goldlust
I do not think all parents agree with you that it is proper for their children (or themselves) to use the word for human faeces like that.

However, the statement made no sense, because she implied that British Airways had made a mistake ("get your [act] together") when it fact they made no mistake but simply enforced their own rules. She knew this. Therefore, the comment comes of as also rather unintelligent. I am not sure you would support your children in implying that somebody should undo their mistake, when your children would know clearly and well that there was no mistake at all.

Since she is so upset, and she has tried this before, she could have chosen another airline instead. Good grief.

I understand that many parents let their children roam wild to the paramount pain of other innocent people. However, the fact that many parents do so, does not make it right.
She has paid for a business class flight she should get the full business class service. There is no reason in law for her to be refused entry to the lounge notwithstanding the availability of alcohol. Yes, they should get their .... together, either they offer a full business class service or they don't.

As far as the language used by this lass is concerned, I think some people here need to get a grip. There is a real world out there.

Some people are really out of touch with reality.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:37 am

There's just no pleasing women. When they are young, they want to be seen as old. When they are old, they want to be seen as young. Either way, we always lose!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Two thoughts:

1) I thought the SAG let's people fly F? Why's she slumming it in pleb++?

2) when I went on my first FT DO/mileage run at the tender of age 16, at least I was polite enough to bring the champagne. the lesson is that if you act like an adult, you get treated like one. telling a corporation to "sort your s..t out" in a teenage strop isn't acting like an adult (well, maybe like some....)
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I do hope that comment was not directed at me.
No, it wasn't. It was a general observation about all parents who fall into that description. Those who encourage their children to behave badly are contributing to the next generation of badly behaved adults.

The fact of the matter is that use of the LHR lounge was not part of her ticket, even though she would have liked it to be, because she was an unaccompanied minor.
As far as the language used by this lass is concerned, I think some people here need to get a grip. There is a real world out there.

Just because the world out there is a festering nasty place, it doesn't mean that we should welcome that, or encourage it to fester more and become nastier, or to teach our children that they should contribute to the festering and nastiness.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:43 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
She has paid for a business class flight she should get the full business class service. There is no reason in law for her to be refused entry to the lounge notwithstanding the availability of alcohol. Yes, they should get their .... together, either they offer a full business class service or they don't.

I agree, she's a successful professional (albeit a young one) who's been working hard on tough schedules for both filming and promotional work for several years now.

As a professional she's travelling J and should be afforded the benefits. Add to that the fact that she's well known and would likely have had to sit in a starbucks or at the gate rather uncomfortably looking over her shoulder I think this is a poor show from BA.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
I'm usually one to dislike the fanboyish "If you don't like BA then fly someone else" comment bandied about when there is a valid criticism but that is what I'd say to this brat. Have some other airline pick up the bad PR for when her and her other supposedly "entitled" showbiz chums vomit over the lounge
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:50 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
As a professional she's travelling J and should be afforded the benefits. Add to that the fact that she's well known and would likely have had to sit in a starbucks or at the gate rather uncomfortably looking over her shoulder I think this is a poor show from BA.
No one, irrespective of how well-known they are, should be exempt from following the rules. If this happened at LHR T5, there are many establishments whose culinary delights she is more than welcome to sample.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.