Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios Availability Map Not Working

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Avios Availability Map Not Working

The Availability Map is not working at all today (instead of just throwing out spurious availability). All I get is this message:

Sorry, the map to check flight prices and availability is not working at the moment.

I wonder if it's finally being fixed, or is that too much to hope for?

Oh, and if anyone from BA happens to read this, my details are still correct so there's no need to ask me to confirm every time I login .

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to check the existing "is ba.com down" thread . Mods, please merge or delete.

Last edited by SteveF; Jul 11, 2014 at 3:46 am
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: AA
I'm seeing regular search isn't working either. It was intermittent earlier, but now it's simply not working and returning errors.

Maybe it's related?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
I noticed this last night
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Redemption availability search, redemption availability map, seat allocation and change on future bookings, flight date/time change, and some other ba.com "functionality" hasn't been working since at least yesterday morning.

However, unless you've tried to do any of this things, and wasted time trying again and again, you wouldn't know there's a problem as BA hasn't bothered to post any information about these problems on ba.com to alert us.

We are, after all, only BA's customers
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:41 am

I had a heck of a time with the calendar a day or two ago... calendar consistently saying no dates at all available. When I search day by day, I find some. Other times that a search didn't even tell me yes or know, just that there was an "error" and to try looking later. Once when I was looking for Business, I found that changing my request to First on a day that I knew already there was Business (but First didn't even operate), the search took me through to the page where I could book, whilst the search for Business had returned only the error message.

I'm patient and generally have a good sense from other resources as to which dates to try and which dates not to bother with, so maybe this is all working to my advantage since it keeps the less experienced from ever finding anything. That said, I still think it looks terrible and gets pretty frustrating even for those of us with seemingly unlimited patience and experience...
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:14 am
Company Representative - British Airways

Dear All

We have temporarily switched off the reward seat availability map for urgent maintenance and it will be up and running again very soon.

You can continue to search and book reward flights by selecting 'Executive Club ' and then 'spending Avios' from the navigation at the top of the page. If you then select 'book flights using Avios' from the navigation options on the left hand side of the page then you can search for reward seats by date and route.

I will keep you updated and confirm back once the map is up and running again.

Thank you for your patience and apologies for any inconvenience that this has caused.

Warm Regards

Jeni
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:16 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, BA Gold
Avios availability map not working on ba.com

Seems to have been down for the best part of a week, which is a pain as I wanted to do some research for my current companion voucher.

Apart from looking at specific itineraries, is there any other way to check Avios availability on BA?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by RangersPilot
Seems to have been down for the best part of a week, which is a pain as I wanted to do some research for my current companion voucher.

Apart from looking at specific itineraries, is there any other way to check Avios availability on BA?
The calendar has been pretty worthless to me for most of the last week or more... but if I look for specific segments on a day by day basis, I've been able to find (and book) flights. Anything involving a connection may cause the search to choke (so I've just searched for whichever segments I want into/out of London individually, and eventually booked selecting "stopover" but then selecting same day for onward segment...)

Pretty poor IT showing, I have to say, but at least by checking loads on Expertflyer as well a week at a time I've been able to get an idea which dates are bound to have availability, and in general I've turned out to be right (even though the BA calendar always seems to say there's nothing).

An added "bonus" is that the Avios availability search on the US version of the BA web site consistently transposes the dates for any change to a search in progress... and then in turn "interprets" the transposed date in a rather random fashion that usually pushes a search for next week out to next year sometime... e.g. if you start out selecting 14/7/14 off the calendar that pops up, all starts out okay, but if you choose to change the search dates, and select 16/7/14, it transposes it to 7/16/14, and then quite arbitrarily returns availability during some week of its own choosing in May 2015... the only way I've found to avoid this happening is to start completely over with a new search rather than changing your search date for a search you've already initiated. :-/

Last edited by Schultzois; Jul 13, 2014 at 5:30 am
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by BA Executive Club
We have temporarily switched off the reward seat availability map for urgent maintenance and it will be up and running again very soon.

Temporarily ? is this just a weekend maintenance rather than a few hours then ?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Taylor Street Baristas
The timing of this may be more than usually unfortunate because I believe BA have just released some very short notice TATL redemption inventory. Well, actually, I know they have because I just managed to switch 4 CW flights originally booked to IAH this Thursday (17th) to AUS. They weren't there last night, that's for sure.

What I couldn't say in the absence of the Availability Map is whether this was just an isolated instance - and a really fortunate one for me - or whether whole swathes of North America have just opened up for those able to travel at short notice.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:07 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by VeryNewbyAviosFlyer
Temporarily ? is this just a weekend maintenance rather than a few hours then ?
It never worked very well anyway. Hopefully it will now all be fixed.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Any idea when this is coming back to life?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by tishooo
Any idea when this is coming back to life?
I think there's a valid case for digital euthanasia here.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by SteveF
Oh, and if anyone from BA happens to read this, my details are still correct so there's no need to ask me to confirm every time I login .
Been happening to me as well. Quite annoying.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I think there's a valid case for digital euthanasia here.
Agreed I've always just looked up the flights individually for availability. The map is essentially useless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.