Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Pass for shopping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, M&M SEN, EK Gold

Did we ever get to the bottom of the discussion about why shops needed to scan boarding passes when buying things? Just bought some Skittles at LCY and when asked for my boarding card I asked why?

They replied 'company policy' so I asked what they were going to do with the data, to which they said "we don't use it" so I said no then. They still sold be the Skittles!

Is it just a mindless response or am I missing something? If it was about them pocketing VAT surely they should say so?

Cheers

Manx Flyer
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Always assumed it was to make sure you were actually traveling?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, LH FT, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by clubman
But you have to show your BP to get through to security? The odds are quite low that someone without a BP would be able to get through, though I'm sure it has happened in the past.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by britishchris
The odds are quite low that someone without a BP would be able to get through
Staff...
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:52 am

I'm sure checkout staff at Boots or wherever aren't doing extra security screening, it must be something to do with tax.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard

There is no requirement to show BP.

I have a laugh with the lady at WH Smith every time I am there as I have often refused and am still sold everything.

She thinks that the company uses it for MI purposes but I told her that I don't see how I as customer benefit from it, so started to refuse. There are no issues with buying things without the BP.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by bioblot
I'm sure checkout staff at Boots or wherever aren't doing extra security screening, it must be something to do with tax.
No. As just posted. There's no difference for sake of my WH Smith purchases whether I travel to EDI or FRA.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
If you are going outside the EU, there's no VAT. in other words, with VAT-inclusive prices, the shop gets more money. Let's say you get some earphones from Dixons for £12. If you are staying in the EU, then £10 goes to Dixons and £2 to HMRC. if you are leaving the EU, then all £12 goes to Dixons. The bp is evidence of export.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; IHG
I also thought it was to make sure the pax is eligible to buy certain items such as duty free booze or cigarettes.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:26 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Because if you are not flying, you can't eat skittles ?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:43 am

Duty free is different scenario.

Skittles / water / newspaper / Airliners World at WH Smith does not need a BP even though they make it out that it's a requirement. It's a battle I've fought and won and as said, now have a giggle over with the nice lady at LCY WH Smith every time I am there.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Staff...
Staff can buy from airside shops.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by chris1979
Duty free is different scenario.

Skittles / water / newspaper / Airliners World at WH Smith does not need a BP even though they make it out that it's a requirement. It's a battle I've fought and won and as said, now have a giggle over with the nice lady at LCY WH Smith every time I am there.
I have always wondered about this waste of time and energy when I buy a bottle of water "boarding pass please" or "where are you travelling to?"

So called Duty Free (although the stuff is still cheaper on t'internet) purchases I can understand the request but not for a bottle of water or a pack of tictacs etc..
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Cassie55
Staff can buy from airside shops.
Including duty free??

I always thought the BP entitled you to purchase goods at duty free prices. My understanding is that all goods can be purchased regardless of destination but dual pricing is effectively in place and the boarding card allows for the cheaper (if applicable) price to be charged. You'll often see 'VAT free price' on labels. This is particularly noticeable for high tax items like cigarettes and other tabaco products.

In terms of staff training it's far easier to say 'scan the BP every time' than it is to expect a non tax accountant to understand the rules. This works for cigarettes but is clearly daft for Skittles. However, it is pretty accurate, simple to understand and cheap to implement.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
They are usually satisfied if you just given them the (a) flight number, so it isn't satisfactory proof of anything. I always wondered if the airline gets a commission.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.