Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

This Week I got to Hear All About The Air Navigation Order

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Apparently it's an offence to consume your own alcohol onboard. It isn't. I had the same issue the week before. I pointed that out to the crew member. He replied; "it's an offence under the Air Navigation Order", and "you can get arrested".

Fortunately, I have some knowledge of the Air Navigation Order. I know about smoking in an aircraft, drukenness in an aircraft, acting in a disruptive manner and disobeying a lawful command etc. I'd done none of those.

I had to speak to the purser.

I wish BA would sort that drinks trolley out then I could avoid these run-ins each week.

Palmer
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Well, the UK Flight Safety Committee (who seem to have most of the airlines I would fly with as members) seem to think it isn't allowed:
Alcohol brought aboard by passengers
Alcoholic beverages carried on board by passengers may not be consumed when on board an aircraft. The crew may remove private supplies of alcohol for safe custody. It must be returned when the passenger leaves the aircraft.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: ABBA
I had a little wine left from the VS "lounge" (Costa) at T1, which the cabin crew member mentioned I shouldn't have, but were happy with me finishing it before doors-closed (I was first on so it wasn't a rush)
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Well, the UK Flight Safety Committee (who seem to have most of the airlines I would fly with as members) seem to think it isn't allowed:
Yes, but that guide's attitude to the law is summed up at the end, with a statement that may have inspired the cabin crew here:
DO NOT FORGET
If you believe it is illegal it probably is.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you remember those paper cups near the coffee machines in GF? Well, they were useful for cold drinks too, particularly one beginning with Z
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm pretty sure that BA staffers on this board have said previously that personal alcohol can be consumed onboard but if you have to much they can get authorisation from the Captain to confiscate it until you leave the aircraft.

I can't find that post just now though.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
I'm pretty sure that BA staffers on this board have said previously that personal alcohol can be consumed onboard but if you have to much they can get authorisation from the Captain to confiscate it until you leave the aircraft.

I can't find that post just now though.
Correct
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Alcoholic beverages carried on board by passengers may not be consumed when on board an aircraft. The crew may remove private supplies of alcohol for safe custody. It must be returned when the passenger leaves the aircraft.
They might say it's not okay, and an airline might adopt the policy of no outside alcohol on a flight, but that definitely doesn't make it against the Air Navigation Order.

That's what the OP is complaining about, as far as I can tell - the staff member's inability to deal with the situation without resorting to the old "it's illegal!!!" scare tactic.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Didn't we have a thread about this a few months ago. To my surprise, you can drink your own alcohol on board BA aircraft, so enjoy.

(I'm on an iPhone so I can't do the search, but I'm sure someone will come along shortly...)
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Correct
^
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Palmer
Apparently it's an offence to consume your own alcohol onboard. It isn't. I had the same issue the week before. I pointed that out to the crew member. He replied; "it's an offence under the Air Navigation Order", and "you can get arrested".

Fortunately, I have some knowledge of the Air Navigation Order. I know about smoking in an aircraft, drukenness in an aircraft, acting in a disruptive manner and disobeying a lawful command etc. I'd done none of those.

I had to speak to the purser.

I wish BA would sort that drinks trolley out then I could avoid these run-ins each week.

Palmer
Regardless whether it is allowed under the Air Navigation Orders or not you seem to have two problems:

1...Alcohol
2...Attitude

The way I look at it is that British Airways as a private company has to abide by the mininum standards imposed on it by the various governing authorities. It can also set it's own rules and regulations as long as they don't contravene the rules set in place by those authorities. If BA won't allow you to drink your own booze on board then so be it. It's their airline, their airplanes and their staff. If you don't like it fly another airline (I doubt you'll find many that will allow you to drink your own alcohol).

British Airways operates into how many countries worldwide? 50, 60, 80? I don't know, but I'll bet they all have their own regulations regarding alcohol that any airline operating into said country has to abide by. Instead of having a separate rule for flights to different countries I can see British Airways having one rule that applies to all flights, no matter which country it is operating to or from.

Sheesh, some people certainly have a sense of entitlement.

Last edited by DoctorDoug; Jun 17, 2014 at 1:18 pm
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by DoctorDoug
If BA won't allow you to drink your own booze on board then so be it. It's their airline, their airplanes and their staff. If you don't like it fly another airline (I doubt you'll find many that will allow you to drink your own alcohol).

Sheesh, some people certainly have a sense of entitlement.
But, as already posted, it's fine on BA to consume your own alcohol (within reason), so the crew member was going against their company's own policies.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See the discussion in this recent thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...b-onboard.html
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
But, as already posted, it's fine on BA to consume your own alcohol (within reason), so the crew member was going against their company's own policies.
According to the UK Flight Safety Committee's Guide to Disruptive Passengers it's not allowed:

Alcoholic beverages carried on board by passengers may not be consumed when on
board an aircraft. The crew may remove privat
e supplies of alcohol
for safe custody.
It must be returned when the passenger leaves the aircraft
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
See the discussion in this recent thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...b-onboard.html
That's the one. Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.