Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TCX69
In late 2014/early 2015 British Airways has refurbished all of its A320 and A321 fleet (ex-bmi aircraft are not to be refurbished, and A319 conversions are still undergoing--see below) to an interior of:
  • Business class (Club Europe/CE) seat pitch of 30", width of 17" and recline of 3";
  • Economy class (Euro Traveller/ET) seat pitch of 29-30", width of 17" and recline of 2".

The Shorthaul Boeing fleet (Gatwick 737s, Heathrow 767s) will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a business class seat pitch of 34", width of 19.5" and recline of 4.5", and with an economy class seat pitch of 31", width of 18" and recline of 4.5".

The ex-bmi A319 and A320 aircraft will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a seat pitch of 30", width of 18" and recline of 3" in both business and economy.

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Pitch Changes
A319 business class from 34" to 30"
A320 business class from 34" to 30"
A321 business class from 34" to 30"

A319 economy class from 31" to 29"
A320 economy class from 31" to 30"
A321 economy class from 31" to 30"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Width Changes
A319 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A320 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A321 business class from 19.5" to 17"

A319 economy class from 18" to 17"
A320 economy class from 18" to 17"
A321 economy class from 18" to 17"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Recline Changes
A319/A320/A321 business class from 4.5" to 3"
A319/A320/A321 economy class from 4.5" to 2"

The A320 aircraft fitted with in flight entertainment (IFE) will continue to offer it for use on selected flights of 3 hours and over (Band 4) – ATH/IST/LCA. These aircraft no longer offer in-seat power.

Detailed description of the new seats and cabin design, courtesy of lhrsinsyd

New seat plans
courtesy of TCX69

Completed Aircraft - 28 Apr 16
courtesy of TCX69

A319
All Complete

A320
All Complete

A321
All Complete
Print Wikipost

New Shorthaul Cabins

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnspenceruk
If dinner is fast becoming the only major difference between CE and ET, then a question needs to be asked why would anyone pay (sometimes) hundreds of extra £££ for a "dinner" that no sane person would pay more than a tenner when picking up one of these ready meals from Waitrose or such?
Well if one is rather short on time and not every BA outstation is outfitted with a Waitrose ...
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I just had a weekend in HEL. EDI-LHR and LHR-HEL-LHR were all on the new refurbished seats. Our final leg, LHR-EDI was on the old style sheets.

I don't like the refurbished seats, they are not as comfy and clearly less legroom (I'm 6,2). Our final sector had more legroom than our CE flights!

Apart from more TPs, the difference between CE and ET is becoming less and less
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: OneWorld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam, AMEX
Originally Posted by Calchas
Well if one is rather short on time and not every BA outstation is outfitted with a Waitrose ...
Sorry, my comment was sort of "tongue in cheek". But my confusion about the rapidly growing cost/benefit ratio for CE cabins is mostly genuine.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by MrSimonR
I think you are wrong. No.1 (and 2 and 3) for me are:

1) Noone sitting next to me
2) Getting something to eat and drink, with good service
3) Sitting at the front of the plane
No.1 for me is most definitely legroom.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by csdavidson
Apart from more TPs, the difference between CE and ET is becoming less and less
Sadly true.

Still, I will usually book for CE for the empty spare seat but my enjoyment of CE is fast reducing.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
I flew one of these redone A320s recently and almost felt guilty, being in row 1 and by far the shortest person in CE. I had a quick look behind me and the lady in row 2 didn't have a great deal of legroom, certainly far less than previous CE.

However I did like the seat from a comfort point of view, and the table between the two seats proved useful.

I don't much care about style (ie, it wouldn't make me choose CE/any airline over an alternative) but I did like the look of the cabin.

But, I can't see why anyone would choose CE for anything other than a TP run or connecting business traffic where your European leg is booked into CE - at full price anyway. Perhaps £30 - £60 for POUG from the simple calculation that you're given 1.5 seats' worth of space (2 in a row versus 3).
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
Reading this thread I am glad most of my SH trips for the rest of this year is on A319s. This new configuration doesn't look appealing to me. I have avoided easyjet because of the tight leg room, but now there seems to be little point in avoiding them anymore.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by Beansprout
But, I can't see why anyone would choose CE for anything other than a TP run or connecting business traffic where your European leg is booked into CE - at full price anyway. Perhaps £30 - £60 for POUG from the simple calculation that you're given 1.5 seats' worth of space (2 in a row versus 3).
Given you occupy another half a seat, the fare should start at 1.5 x the ET rate. Plus drinks, booze, first off the plane etc etc. So double the ET fare is probably what it's worth. And that's probably around what they get.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbirdjclass
Im really sorry but if easyjet can make is comfortable with 180 pax at 29inch pitch with slim lines then BA with 168 pax and 30 inch pitch and slim lines is fine.................. bored now ( and the middle seats free and im 6'3)
You do realise that Easyjet's galley, bulkhead and toilet layout is different, giving them much more floorspace on their A320s than BA. On the only directly comparable bit of the seatplan, behind the exit row on the DEF side, BA has installed exactly the same number of seats as U2.

Are you still bored?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
Given you occupy another half a seat, the fare should start at 1.5 x the ET rate. Plus drinks, booze, first off the plane etc etc. So double the ET fare is probably what it's worth. And that's probably around what they get.
That was my thinking, tempered a little by the POUG pricing range (£60, give or take).

I didn't take into account booze/lounge/food given that many CE fliers will have lounge access via status, and you get booze in ET.

You could even subtract a little for the weight saving of the missing person and their bags / catering
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
The new shorthaul CE is really no longer business class, you are unable to work seen the reduced seat pitch. Why does BA not market the new product under a new name : ET+, pax will then no longer have to reduce their expectations. What a difference with the new AA domestic first class product on their 737's: excellent seats, good seat pitch, 2-2 configuration and large selection of recent movies and TV channels as well as wifi. All this at prices which are below the regular BA CE fares.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
The Economist ran an article a couple of weeks back pointing out the growing inequality between business and economy class passengers with reference to Das Capital in the Twenty-first Century a mostly fictional book by Thomas Piketty.

I assume that Comrade Willie is trying to buck the trend and bring down the Bourgeoisie in Club Europe. Workers of the World fly BA.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
After a few experiences of the new cabin, I have now, for the first time in 7 years of business travel, booked 2 RT flights with Easyjet...Paid the extra £10 e/w for first row seats, and will buy anything I need either onboard or at the airport. Priority Pass will get me lounge access, and my trip to the airport will actually be shorter. And I still saved approx. £50 on the ticket price compared to BA. If these 2 flights are a success, I think I have a good idea on where to book my future flights.

Last edited by Mattyb44; Oct 1, 2014 at 5:04 am
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Juat had one of the newly renovated planes (G-EUUT) from LHR-LIN, I was not impressed. I was in 1A (fortunately!) but I was constantly hit in the back by the knees of Mr 2A. Not his fault, he was tall and there is limited leg room. Mr 2C was definately not impressed he complained bitterly and asked for a comment card. Cabin crew who gave it to him mentioned that there had been a lot of complaints from CE passengers about the new interior.

It was an interesting comparison for me, as I had done Air Canada domestic J YYC-YYZ, then BA YYZ-LHR on the 787 in CW (worst nights sleep I've had on a TATL in a long time) then to LIN in CE where I'm in the lounge writing this.

There is no comparison between the AC domestic J product in the A320 and CE in the A320, AC has 38" pitch, 2x2 seating that is wide and comfortable instead of a narrow economy seat with a tray across the middle one. Even for the short flight to LIN, the thin padding on the CE seat was noticable and got uncomfortable after the 1 hour mark, I wouldn't want to go to ATH in that seat. In contrast the AC seat was comfortable for the 4 hour flight. I won't mention the difference in IFE, since there is none in CE...

Given I paid £330 for a LIN-LHR return flight I'm feeling ripped off at the moment, it really comes down to being a very expensive breakfast in CE, I don't see much of a difference between CE and economy. For the price delta, I would expect a lot more difference, like Air Canada gives. I certainly won't make the mistake of paying for CE again, and it sounds like Mr 2C behind me won't either ( and yes, I overheard him say he was Gold). I suspect this might be a step too far for some CE passengers and a case of BA being penny wise and pound foolish?

A photo of AC's short haul J:http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-C...325ed1426ab184

Looking forward: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-C...3fb40683ca85eb

This is what short haul business class seats should be like!

Last edited by Jagboi; Oct 1, 2014 at 4:32 am Reason: add photo link
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First time on a new 320 the other day in from BRU in row 5. My knees were jammed to the chair in front, not comfortable at all. The lack of the small drinks table is greatly missed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.