Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TCX69
In late 2014/early 2015 British Airways has refurbished all of its A320 and A321 fleet (ex-bmi aircraft are not to be refurbished, and A319 conversions are still undergoing--see below) to an interior of:
  • Business class (Club Europe/CE) seat pitch of 30", width of 17" and recline of 3";
  • Economy class (Euro Traveller/ET) seat pitch of 29-30", width of 17" and recline of 2".

The Shorthaul Boeing fleet (Gatwick 737s, Heathrow 767s) will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a business class seat pitch of 34", width of 19.5" and recline of 4.5", and with an economy class seat pitch of 31", width of 18" and recline of 4.5".

The ex-bmi A319 and A320 aircraft will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a seat pitch of 30", width of 18" and recline of 3" in both business and economy.

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Pitch Changes
A319 business class from 34" to 30"
A320 business class from 34" to 30"
A321 business class from 34" to 30"

A319 economy class from 31" to 29"
A320 economy class from 31" to 30"
A321 economy class from 31" to 30"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Width Changes
A319 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A320 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A321 business class from 19.5" to 17"

A319 economy class from 18" to 17"
A320 economy class from 18" to 17"
A321 economy class from 18" to 17"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Recline Changes
A319/A320/A321 business class from 4.5" to 3"
A319/A320/A321 economy class from 4.5" to 2"

The A320 aircraft fitted with in flight entertainment (IFE) will continue to offer it for use on selected flights of 3 hours and over (Band 4) – ATH/IST/LCA. These aircraft no longer offer in-seat power.

Detailed description of the new seats and cabin design, courtesy of lhrsinsyd

New seat plans
courtesy of TCX69

Completed Aircraft - 28 Apr 16
courtesy of TCX69

A319
All Complete

A320
All Complete

A321
All Complete
Print Wikipost

New Shorthaul Cabins

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsinsyd

If there are more seats on board, are you increasing the amount of hand-baggage storage?
The shape of the seat allows more space underneath to store smaller items of hand baggage.
The problem is never the ones that go under the seats, the problem is always the ones that have to go overhead. On a full flight there isn't enough room as it is, adding more seats is just going to make this worse
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1

BTW, what about the wardrobes? Are they enhanced too?
Gone - Replaced with Crew lessons on how to fold your jacket in a Dorchester fold so it can be placed neatly in an overhead bin.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata, Turkish Elite... oh yeah, and of course: Starbucks Gold :P
30" in CE is a joke... I only flew CE the last years on SH, mainly due to the extra legroom (since i don't really care about the mediocore catering anyway)... I guess that's gonna change now.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by csutter
Unfortunately it's the former. The new deliveries still have 34" in all potential CE rows
For the second time today, merde!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by csutter
Quote:

Originally Posted by bafan

So a massive down grade in legroom for CE.

And who are the passengers that value the extra privacy (is there any privacy on a plane?) above leg room ??

Well I for one value the middle seat above the legroom - but that doesn't mean I don't want the legroom as well as part of the general value proposition of CE
I agree. I value the middle seat seat free and having personal space next to me FAR more then legroom. It's not like we have generous legroom anyway in CE so I can't say the new will make any noticeable difference.

Making the space between seats more usable is a very welcome move. (And I don't mean those silly headrest covers we used to have. That was a gimmick, this looks like something useful.

I still wonder what is going to be flying the long 3-4-5 hour flights after the 767s are finally put out of their misery.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Central console reminds me of the look of the 'preferred' rows of seats on AA738s.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: LH/BA/DL
Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1
... the seat recline is bigger in CE than in ET but with the same pitch!?
What a joke. This does make no sense at all.

And only to add 6 more seats on the A320? Am I correct in thinking that (a) the 6 more seats will not really improve revenue, as most flights have less than a 96.5% load factor, and (b) the added seats are sold at the cheapest fares (if revenue management works as it should?).
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
Time to stop calling it CE and start calling it ET+ as the product isn't even close to Biz class as it stands, these changes make it the later in all but name.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Greg45
What a joke. This does make no sense at all.

And only to add 6 more seats on the A320? Am I correct in thinking that (a) the 6 more seats will not really improve revenue, as most flights have less than a 96.5% load factor, and (b) the added seats are sold at the cheapest fares (if revenue management works as it should?).
Not quite true - on the peak flights, especially those carrying high levels of connecting passengers, those 6 extra seats are very valuable.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by TheBaps
Time to stop calling it CE and start calling it ET+ as the product isn't even close to Biz class as it stands, these changes make it the later in all but name.
Sadly I think this is part of the longer term plan. Make the difference between CE and ET so small that by the time you remove the premium Product no-one notices / causes a kerfuffle
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:45 am
Suspended

This is terrible, if the seat pitch in CE is reduced to 30" then that's the end of me flying short-haul with BA. I suspect it will be the same for many others who have a choice of airlines.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:58 am

I, FWIW, I'm not as outraged as other posters; I mean, the actual seats have been fitted on the planes at a time with a Biz ticket came in at a grand and George Walker hadn't liberated Iraq yet. And I also understand that BA has to turn SH into a profit for next year in order to make all the folks in the Square Mile happy campers, but...

... Please, don't feed me that crap that "customers value privacy more than legroom" like they did in the press release. Just say it: cost cutting, revenue maximisation. Won't make me less crossed but at least I'll appreciate the honesty.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Count me in the "prefer privacy over pitch" group but since when was it actually a choice? They are both important parts of the CE package. I already struggled to justify more than a £60 difference in CE/ET prices so this will push the value down lower than all but the very lowest fare difference for me.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by A P Yu
And how do we tell you this is rubbish?
You often get the seat next to you empty in third world traveller so where the benefit in CE?
Full Catering - is a joke
Priority Disembarkation is very hit and miss (particularly at LGW)
I couldn't disagree more. The food in Club Europe is meh. Personally I am not that tall so could not care less about pitch - in fact I have never used the recline button although I fly shorthaul at least 4 times a week. The ONLY thing I care about is the middle seat being empty next to me. When quite a few of those 4 times a week flights (to FRA, AMS etc.) are in ET, I can tell you they are NEVER empty.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Another reason not to fly shorthaul. I had to quite my previous job as they said I had to fly to Europe quite often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.