Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TCX69
In late 2014/early 2015 British Airways has refurbished all of its A320 and A321 fleet (ex-bmi aircraft are not to be refurbished, and A319 conversions are still undergoing--see below) to an interior of:
  • Business class (Club Europe/CE) seat pitch of 30", width of 17" and recline of 3";
  • Economy class (Euro Traveller/ET) seat pitch of 29-30", width of 17" and recline of 2".

The Shorthaul Boeing fleet (Gatwick 737s, Heathrow 767s) will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a business class seat pitch of 34", width of 19.5" and recline of 4.5", and with an economy class seat pitch of 31", width of 18" and recline of 4.5".

The ex-bmi A319 and A320 aircraft will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a seat pitch of 30", width of 18" and recline of 3" in both business and economy.

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Pitch Changes
A319 business class from 34" to 30"
A320 business class from 34" to 30"
A321 business class from 34" to 30"

A319 economy class from 31" to 29"
A320 economy class from 31" to 30"
A321 economy class from 31" to 30"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Width Changes
A319 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A320 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A321 business class from 19.5" to 17"

A319 economy class from 18" to 17"
A320 economy class from 18" to 17"
A321 economy class from 18" to 17"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Recline Changes
A319/A320/A321 business class from 4.5" to 3"
A319/A320/A321 economy class from 4.5" to 2"

The A320 aircraft fitted with in flight entertainment (IFE) will continue to offer it for use on selected flights of 3 hours and over (Band 4) – ATH/IST/LCA. These aircraft no longer offer in-seat power.

Detailed description of the new seats and cabin design, courtesy of lhrsinsyd

New seat plans
courtesy of TCX69

Completed Aircraft - 28 Apr 16
courtesy of TCX69

A319
All Complete

A320
All Complete

A321
All Complete
Print Wikipost

New Shorthaul Cabins

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
The classic seat pitch is the distance between a point on one seat and the equivalent point on the seat in front. But with seats getting slimmer this number is not necessarily a good indicator of comparative legroom.

A more interesting statistic would be the usable pitch, i.e. the horizontal distance between the point where the cushion intersects the seat back in TTL position and the back of the seat in front.

I would wager that the pitch of the new seats will be less than current but the usable pitch will be the same as current or at least no worse than the latest WT.
Let's hope so as this is the key issue for many of us
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Hopefully power sockets at every seat too?
One would think they have had power sockets on short haul for years the amount of times I hear the announcements to stop using them .
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for the photos, eminere, it looks impressive so far.

I don't know how this happened, but Pinnacle's BA seats are excellent while their Lufthansa version in NEK is not so good. OK for a short hop across Germany, but they are very unforgiving on the back. BA's seats look too thin for comfort but actually they're great, and the thinner design gives the appearance of more space (and the reality of more space around the knees).

So this looks like the existing Pinnacle seat with new covers, new iPad and other table features, reduced recline (hurray), and a middle table in CE. The pitch remains a mystery, but here's my hope: the maintain the CE advantage at least for the first x rows, then I don't mind too much if they swipe back an inch or two further back. The thinness of Pinnacle would mean almost no one would notice except ET commuters, and would still be competitive against Lufthansa.

That would be the best of all worlds, not least because on low loaded CE flights then status passengers would in ET get first dibs on a kind of Main Cabin Extra.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Well, the pictures look nice, really have to say, well done. ^ The question is, how long the aircrafts will be in this immaculate conditions, it's BA after all

Originally Posted by Physci
Let's hope so as this is the key issue for many of us
Yes, absolutely right, 30 inch for CE doesn't sound appealing! As some posters mentioned in other threads, the value propostion of CE is then drastically reduced! Let's hope we get some clarification soon!

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Question

Originally Posted by Can I help you
We have thought about laptops, the seat recline has also been reduced so that you can always open your laptop.
What is the recline currently and what will it be going to?

Programs: OS FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't know how this happened, but Pinnacle's BA seats are excellent while their Lufthansa version in NEK is not so good.
I'm pretty sure the Lufty NEK seats are made by Recaro, not B/E Aerospace. That might be why

Programs: BA Gold
Had my first flights with the Pinnacle seats recently, must say I'm a fan
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:12 am

Photos look nice, though the seats are frightfully thin, leather padding or not. 2 hours+ will not be pleasant on my bony vertebrae and bottom !. Classy otherwise. Like the embossed speedmarque. Wonder why the deviated from navy blue.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by gw76
Photos look nice, though the seats are frightfully thin, leather padding or not. 2 hours+ will not be pleasant on my bony vertebrae and bottom !. Classy otherwise. Like the embossed speedmarque. Wonder why the deviated from navy blue.
If you haven't been on one of the recently delivered A320s (G-EUY[O,P,R,S,T,U,V,W]), don't diss them before you try them

IMHO they're much more comfortable than the convertibles, despite being thinner. I'm happy to stand corrected but I don't think I've heard anyone on here dislike them.

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Had my first flights with the Pinnacle seats recently, must say I'm a fan
+1 ^
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Do the armrests move inwards to give extra width in Club Europe configuration, as per the ex-BMI Recaros?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
What a nasty enhancement. This is essentially going to be the same spirit as the LH NEK seats. 2-3 larger seating with middle seat blocked in CE disappearing for good with the seats just the same as ET (with or without marginal extra leg room), thin backed seats where we'll feel like somebody is kicking our back every time the passenger behind touches our seat (let alone when they are over-excited kids, and don't say that it is already the case, because if you say so you haven't had that "joy" with LH NEK or AF NEO seats!) and a more crowded sardine can strategy. On Band 3-4 flights it is going to be really unpleasant!

PS: And I'm certainly not happy about reduced recline. Again, ok on a LHR-MAN but just not on an early morning ATH-LHR or IST-LHR.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:31 am

My hobby for the day: Counting the number of comparisons to NEK on this thread from people who haven't read all the posts
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the photographs eminere ^ Looks pretty good but I still have to wonder how much more space is created even with the middle console, as described.

At least this shows BA is interested in the CE product, divided opinion or not.

H
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Hoch

At least this shows BA is interested in the CE product, divided opinion or not.

H
It shows they are interested in having the product but I fail to link this to any interest in improving the product.

I'm guessing the Product Manager is being measured on financial KPIs this year rather than Customer Satisfactions KPIs
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:48 am

Why are we refreshing our short-haul cabins?
As part of the focus on short-haul, we are introducing a newly refreshed cabin on our 95 Airbus A320 family aircraft. This will give us extra capacity on our aircraft, both in response to customer demand and to ensure that we continue to maintain a viable short-haul operation for the future. The first refreshed aircraft, an A320, will fly from Heathrow in early July 2014.

What’s changing?
We’re transforming 95 of our short-haul aircraft with a refined new interior and new lighter, slimmer seats, which are cleverly designed to maximise comfort.

Will there be more seats on board?
On our A320s, our most numerous short-haul aircraft type, the seat total will rise by six – from 162 to 168.

On the A319s, the total rises by 11 from 132 to 143. A320s (51 aircraft) and A319s (33 aircraft) make up nearly 90 per cent of the aircraft being refitted.

We also have 11 A321s, in which seat numbers will rise from 188 to 205, an increase of 17.

What is the leg-room on the new seat?
Our economy cabins will feel more spacious, thanks to slimmer seats that are better designed (for example, we have placed a hard magazine rack at eye level where it can accommodate a laptop, removing it from the knee area, giving more room to stretch out). Seat-pitch in Euro Traveller at present is 30” on most of these aircraft and 29” on the rest. That will stay the same after the refit.

Our A321s and A320s have a 30” seat pitch in EuroTraveller and this will remain the case.
33 of our A319s will move from a 30” pitch to a 29” pitch. We already operate a number of aircraft with a 29” seat pitch.

Aircraft type Number of aircraft being refitted Number of seats moving from Number of seats moving to Total increase in number of seats Seat pitch
A320 51 162 168 6 CE 30”
ET 30”
A319 33 132 143 11 CE 30”
ET 29”
A321 11 188 205 17 CE 30”
ET 30”

What do the changes mean for Club Europe?
Club Europe seat-pitch will change from 34” to 30”. This is the same as business class seat-pitch as Lufthansa.
We’ll be maintaining the 2:2 configuration in Club Europe and the ‘central console’ separating the two seats has been redesigned to be a more useful and functional space, with areas for items such drinks, snacks and devices in addition to the seat-back table.

Our Club Europe customers tell us that what they value most is the additional privacy resulting from the middle seat being empty. That will not change and the new central console will improve how that space can be used.

Club Europe customers will also continue to benefit from use of our lounges, priority boarding and disembarkation, more personalised service and full catering on board.

What about the seat recline?
We’re reducing from 4.5” to 2” in Euro Traveller and 3” in Club Europe. The seat will still be comfortable for those seated in it who wish to recline, but it will also enable anyone working on a lap-top to continue to do so, should the person in front put their seat back. As it stands, it becomes impossible for people to be able to work comfortably. On these short flights few people want to sleep but many people want to work.

Will you still be able to convert Club Europe seats into Euro Traveller?
Yes, the new seats can be converted from Club Europe to Euro Traveller, providing us with flexibility to meet different levels of customer demand for different flights.

If there are more seats on board, are you increasing the amount of hand-baggage storage?
The shape of the seat allows more space underneath to store smaller items of hand baggage.

We’ve added more information on to ba.com and at online check-in to remind customers of their allowance.

There are new gauges and signage at the airports to enable customers to check they’re within their baggage limits and we are issuing tags for hand luggage that should go under the seats at check-in and at the gate. These will enable customers to know where to put their bags and act as a flag to cabin crew.

Once on board, we’ve speeded up boarding by removing the boarding card check (customers’ passports are checked and boarding passes scanned as they go through the gate so no repeat check is required).

Will you have to put bags in the hold if the cabin is full?
As is standard practice, we will place bags in the hold if they require it.

How will the refitted aircraft have environmental benefits?
The additional seats will mean fuel burn per passenger is reduced. On average, we estimate this will reduce CO2 per passenger/km by about five per cent.

What are we doing with bassinets?
We will be removing the bassinets because they are very rarely used and we feel that the space could be better used for customers on every flight.

When will the re-fit be completed?
We’re aiming to re-fit the 95 Airbus A320 family aircraft over the course of about a year to 18 months.

The Boeing 767 fleet, which fly our longer European sectors to the likes of Larnaca and Istanbul, was revamped in 2012. Eleven of the A319s and five of the A320s that we received when IAG bought bmi were given a new interior when they joined the BA fleet and the rest (the 737s and one ex-bmi A320 are leaving the fleet in 2015).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.