Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TCX69
In late 2014/early 2015 British Airways has refurbished all of its A320 and A321 fleet (ex-bmi aircraft are not to be refurbished, and A319 conversions are still undergoing--see below) to an interior of:
  • Business class (Club Europe/CE) seat pitch of 30", width of 17" and recline of 3";
  • Economy class (Euro Traveller/ET) seat pitch of 29-30", width of 17" and recline of 2".

The Shorthaul Boeing fleet (Gatwick 737s, Heathrow 767s) will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a business class seat pitch of 34", width of 19.5" and recline of 4.5", and with an economy class seat pitch of 31", width of 18" and recline of 4.5".

The ex-bmi A319 and A320 aircraft will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a seat pitch of 30", width of 18" and recline of 3" in both business and economy.

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Pitch Changes
A319 business class from 34" to 30"
A320 business class from 34" to 30"
A321 business class from 34" to 30"

A319 economy class from 31" to 29"
A320 economy class from 31" to 30"
A321 economy class from 31" to 30"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Width Changes
A319 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A320 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A321 business class from 19.5" to 17"

A319 economy class from 18" to 17"
A320 economy class from 18" to 17"
A321 economy class from 18" to 17"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Recline Changes
A319/A320/A321 business class from 4.5" to 3"
A319/A320/A321 economy class from 4.5" to 2"

The A320 aircraft fitted with in flight entertainment (IFE) will continue to offer it for use on selected flights of 3 hours and over (Band 4) – ATH/IST/LCA. These aircraft no longer offer in-seat power.

Detailed description of the new seats and cabin design, courtesy of lhrsinsyd

New seat plans
courtesy of TCX69

Completed Aircraft - 28 Apr 16
courtesy of TCX69

A319
All Complete

A320
All Complete

A321
All Complete
Print Wikipost

New Shorthaul Cabins

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Love the idea of a Tablet holder, simple but effective way to improve the flight experience.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by RobDBA
Love the idea of a Tablet holder, simple but effective way to improve the flight experience.
this will be essential, as opening a laptop will now be impossible
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
New Shorthaul Cabins

My guess is that there won't be different pitches on the a/c, ie CE pitch will reduce to ET pitch - ie move in opposite direction of American carriers with bigger seats and "fixed" premium cabin (though fully understand they are very different markets).

Believe the BMI / LH set up makes converting seats between cabins easier than is currently case and removes any limitations that there are currently with essentially 2 different types of seats on the a/c (though be interesting to see if the drop down CE table stops at a certain row or is across the whole a/c.

"Marketing spin" will say that the slimmer seats will give customers more legroom despite extra rows.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We have thought about laptops, the seat recline has also been reduced so that you can always open your laptop.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When MIDS turned up on BRU the other day I think I know why bmi used to block the middle seats for Gold! The seat pitch was awful, my knees were jammed in and I was sitting in row 6. I really hope BA don't go that way for the first few rows.

Being NEKed is why I don't fly Lufty anymore.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Can I help you
We have thought about laptops, the seat recline has also been reduced so that you can always open your laptop.
Excellent - but what is the seat pitch? This is the one thing I think everybody wants to know. It's all very good BA giving us the spin on how much better it's going to be with lovely lighting moods, but somehow neglect to tell us we are going to the same pitch as Ryanair!!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I'm assuming that the tablet holder will be similar to AA's 767 J seats on domestics, where they don't contain the iPad used for international flights.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by G-BUSI
Excellent - but what is the seat pitch? This is the one thing I think everybody wants to know. It's all very good BA giving us the spin on how much better it's going to be with lovely lighting moods, but somehow neglect to tell us we are going to the same pitch as Ryanair!!
The classic seat pitch is the distance between a point on one seat and the equivalent point on the seat in front. But with seats getting slimmer this number is not necessarily a good indicator of comparative legroom.

A more interesting statistic would be the usable pitch, i.e. the horizontal distance between the point where the cushion intersects the seat back in TTL position and the back of the seat in front.

I would wager that the pitch of the new seats will be less than current but the usable pitch will be the same as current or at least no worse than the latest WT.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:26 am

I think you're all being a bit optimistic about the ipad holder. I've seen a picture, and it's just the top part of the ipad case hung over the raised magazine holder. Works as long as you have the right case for your ipad
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
The classic seat pitch is the distance between a point on one seat and the equivalent point on the seat in front. But with seats getting slimmer this number is not necessarily a good indicator of comparative legroom.

A more interesting statistic would be the usable pitch, i.e. the horizontal distance between the point where the cushion intersects the seat back in TTL position and the back of the seat in front.

I would wager that the pitch of the new seats will be less than current but the usable pitch will be the same as current or at least no worse than the latest WT.
Good points Sixth Freedom and I really hope you are correct.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:40 am

From Business Traveller:

Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
If they are anything like the slimline seats on LH, then they will not be good news. Think park bench.
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
So basically its the ex-BMI seats and layout, with a pillow glued to the top of the seat.

Sounds wonderful!
Nope. It looks like they're the Pinnacle seats already being installed on the new shorthaul deliveries (with a slightly nicer colour and design), and they're great (not being sarcastic, I prefer them over the convertibles). ^

If - and that's a big if - they don't mess up the pitch, this is going to be very good news.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Hallelujah! ^
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
If they are anything like the slimline seats on LH, then they will not be good news. Think park bench.
I think this is unlikely unless the middle seat (which has the flip down table) is thicker than the window/aisle seats. The current LH NEK seats are too thin for the flipdown table. Most rows in LH business have no table in the middle seat.
Some towards the front of the A321 cabin have a fixed table, but this is also to reduce the total available seats and avoid having to have extra cabin crew working on that aircraft (due to number of available seats).

I too hate the NEK seats, they are not only super thin but the reduced seat pitch forces you to sit bolt upright since stretching your legs (and so feet) forward is impossible due to much reduced seat pitch.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:00 am

Hopefully power sockets at every seat too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.