Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 fast-track connection immigration enhancement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 fast-track connection immigration enhancement?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Silver; BA Amex PP; Accor Plat
Originally Posted by layz
Both security zones (North and South) have regular and fast track lines.
I've just read this thread start to finish as have been through T5 quite a bit recently. Most have been Ex-EU so going INT-INT; Luckily only one INT-DOM, and that was before they removed Fast Track. In addition last week I was on an outbound LHR-EDI (no connection) and went through the new (?) electric gates at South Security, then turned left towards the Fast Track Security lane (lane 1) to find it closed. So all my recent experiences have prompted some questions about security, that are related to the thread at least in part!

- If you come through North Security on an outbound (ie non-connecting), is there anything to stop you turning left and going all the way down towards the lower numbered "lanes"? Or are you meant to stay at the end nearest where the connecting passengers join?

-Whether coming through North or South, how are the lanes actually differentiated FT and Non? I know some are literally labelled as such, but once you get beyond the BP check, there doesn't seem to be anything to stop anyone wandering into any lane? It's just a tensa-barrier and a very long corridor, and you seem to just take your pick. I'm not clear how the new electronic gates make any difference to the lanes themselves. In other words it seems to me you are filtered at the BP check, but then it's just a free for all.

-Any guesses at to why, last time I was connecting, did a HAL operative get her knickers in a twist about the fact that I'd gone up towards lane 8-ish (on instruction from one of her colleagues); apparently as a connecting passenger, I was meant to stay near the connections end. What difference does it make, if the queues are less elsewhere? Is there some security implication? And how does that play out if you are technically a connecting passenger, yet have landed yourself to avoid the queues at DOM connections?

I reckon if I can figure out the system, I can make a more informed choice next time I'm trying decide whether to land myself or not!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:34 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by FlyingNelly
- If you come through North Security on an outbound (ie non-connecting), is there anything to stop you turning left and going all the way down towards the lower numbered "lanes"? Or are you meant to stay at the end nearest where the connecting passengers join?
You are supposed to stick the connections side of the house. The reason being that at times (not always) there is a differentation of the sensitivity of search process (e.g. the metal detector is set at a higher or lower sensitivity). You can ask to jump the line, and they may allow it, or you may be asked to stay put. If you are allowed, make a note of the first name of the agent concerned, just in case you are challenged as you head north, as you evidently were on one occasion. Lett hand / right hand. You are free to make a complaint to HAL about this.

Fast track is clearly labelled in South, I am not sure how you could miss it. It is always at least one lane on the south side, until ate in the evening it gets abandoned, after 19 hrs there are very, very few passengers going though South, and since you will be through in well under 5 minutes I don't think you can really complain.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Fast track is clearly labelled in South, I am not sure how you could miss it. It is always at least one lane on the south side, until ate in the evening it gets abandoned, after 19 hrs there are very, very few passengers going though South, and since you will be through in well under 5 minutes I don't think you can really complain.
South Fast Track yesterday was the two "family" labelled lanes which ended up (as often) being longer queues than the non-fast track, particularly as a wheel chair user would be wheeled over to the fast track lanes (with only one people scanner) every few minutes or so.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today I was told categorically by a BA agent at the domestic connections Ready to Fly desk, "There will never be fast track again. The Border Force won't have it. And we were paying for it when very few people were using it." She continued to talk angrily about this for a few minutes, not sure if the irritation was directed at me or BA or UKBF.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Calchas
Today I was told categorically by a BA agent at the domestic connections Ready to Fly desk, "There will never be fast track again. The Border Force won't have it. And we were paying for it when very few people were using it."
So according to some BA agents there were too many people using fast track, and according to others very few people were using it

She continued to talk angrily about this for a few minutes, not sure if the irritation was directed at me or BA or UKBF.
Probably you
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Have just done an INT-DOM connection at T5- fast track was definitely there today.

Massive queue on the left back to the first escalators, but sailed down the other lane after mentioning that we had flown in in First, and then they were holding people at the escalators up to security, but asking if anyone was fast track, and letting them jump the said queue.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: ABBA
That's fast track security, which is rather hit and miss at t5 connections (slow track is often faster of you push down to the far end). Ba removed fast track from the pre security bit - conformance, passport and domestic photo.

More reason to fly via AMS when the new security-less transfers open.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
Have just done an INT-DOM connection at T5- fast track was definitely there today.

Massive queue on the left back to the first escalators, but sailed down the other lane after mentioning that we had flown in in First, and then they were holding people at the escalators up to security, but asking if anyone was fast track, and letting them jump the said queue.
But did you have fast track to passports? That's what this thread is about.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
But did you have fast track to passports? That's what this thread is about.
Yes. perhaps 4 people in front of us, despite several hundred in the other queue
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. perhaps 4 people in front of us, despite several hundred in the other queue
^ Has the sign posting been changed to say First passengers?

I've got into the Express Connections (formerly Fast Track) queue a couple of times travelling in CW/CE but only after a complaint.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: ABBA
Several hindered? In the domestic connections queue? That must be queues back to the trains!

Must be those extra Irish services, I've never seen more than about 30 in the queue.

Or are you talking about normal immigration?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Several hindered? In the domestic connections queue? That must be queues back to the trains!

Must be those extra Irish services, I've never seen more than about 30 in the queue.

Or are you talking about normal immigration?
He's talking about domestic connections—at least so far as I can tell from the rest of his post.

It's not unusual to see more than (quick estimate) 50 in the non-EU queue.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:13 pm

Im lost with all of this now. So is their a priority immigration for INT-DOM or not ? and is it sign posted and formalised or hit and miss ?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gw76
Im lost with all of this now. So is their a priority immigration for INT-DOM or not ? and is it sign posted and formalised or hit and miss ?
Usually, no. Sometimes if you ask, they let you into the "Express Connections" lane, but usually they don't.

Let's wait for a further report.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:11 pm

He's talking about domestic connections—at least so far as I can tell from the rest of his post.

It's not unusual to see more than (quick estimate) 50 in the non-EU queue.

Sorry if I've created confusion.

Top of the escalators from the trains, flight connections to the right, with the corridor split into two. The left hand side was solid, 3 or 4 abreast all the way down until one turns left to passport control.

I can't remember if the sign said "fast track" or "express connections" to the right, but as soon as I mentioned travelling in First, the person guarding said lane, said it was fine to use it. We showed our on-going boarding cards at the corner, and were let through into passport control. As I posted above, perhaps 4 people in front of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.