Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Civilian Global LCY/LHR->JFK Review

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
One thing to look at MattHero as an alternative are the exEU business clas fares. The current one is described a bit more here, and there is also some imformation in the IL28SALE fare in the tier point thread.

The reason I mention it is that, if the dates work for you, you could do say BRU-LHR/LCY-JFK, JFK-LHR-BRU for somewhere in the region of Ł1-Ł1.2k. In contrast, a cash return in WT+ is usually around Ł900 I think, and you need to pay a bit extra to do your UuA as well as using some avios. Basically the current ex-EU fares in the sale may be not much more money, plus you are getting:
  • a day in Brussels or Amsterdam or Dublin before you go to NYC,
  • you get full TPs and avios (you would get 430 TPs for my suggested route or 500 TPs if you went out and back on the LCY service),
  • you get a wodge of avios.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
One thing to look at MattHero as an alternative are the exEU business clas fares. The current one is described a bit more here, and there is also some imformation in the IL28SALE fare in the tier point thread.

The reason I mention it is that, if the dates work for you, you could do say BRU-LHR/LCY-JFK, JFK-LHR-BRU for somewhere in the region of Ł1-Ł1.2k. In contrast, a cash return in WT+ is usually around Ł900 I think, and you need to pay a bit extra to do your UuA as well as using some avios. Basically the current ex-EU fares in the sale may be not much more money, plus you are getting:
  • a day in Brussels or Amsterdam or Dublin before you go to NYC,
  • you get full TPs and avios (you would get 430 TPs for my suggested route or 500 TPs if you went out and back on the LCY service),
  • you get a wodge of avios.
That's very helpful, thanks. I'll look and see if I can make these options work with the actual number of holiday days I can use for the trip. Really appreciate the suggestions
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
I did the same as the TR but rather than two people in parallel, I did it in series:
LCY - JFK
LHR - JFK

I was disappointed that LHR won in terms of door to door time
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:36 pm

BA Club World to JFK - LHR Vs LCY

I currently prefer LCY, but only the early flight for the immigration clearance. So much less hassle... But I prefer the seats from LHR and full lounge.

Two writers from one magazine raced each other from London to New York on the same day to compare. Interesting... One seemed to enjoy the drinks service more.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I currently prefer LCY, but only the early flight for the immigration clearance. So much less hassle... But I prefer the seats from LHR and full lounge.

Two writers from one magazine raced each other from London to New York on the same day to compare. Interesting... One seemed to enjoy the drinks service more.
Anyone else want to register and link to this?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by patgarrett
Anyone else want to register and link to this?
didn't need to register but it's the same article as in the first post.

me thinks this may be someone trying to boost their page hits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.