Wiki Posts
Search

Missing an Avios award "stopover" flight

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2014, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Missing an Avios award "stopover" flight

Much has been written that its often less mileage and/or shows more availability to book two one-way tickets with a stopover instead of a one-way ticket.

For instance, I booked MSP-ORD then ORD-CMH. I did this because the ORD-CMH leg was available and I was going to purchase a ticket to ORD. A few days later however, the MSP-ORD ticket showed availability.

My question: What happens if for some reasonable reason (airline delay) you miss the second leg. Airlines wave their hands about weather delays. Would they honor your second leg, or would you just be missing it?

Flying international you can imagine some situations where this would be problematic if you don't leave 8 hrs between flights.

Anyone had experience? My guess is if you do a "stopover" its on you to make sure you are there for the connection.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old May 26, 2014, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp
Old May 26, 2014, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

That's an easy answer, thanks.
Old May 26, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
That only applies to AA because of their policy. If that were 2 separate tickets on BA connecting at LHR and the inbound is delayed, you'd be at BA's mercy and if they rebook you, the agent would be doing you a favour. Reward or paid revenue ticket, it makes no difference.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
That only applies to AA because of their policy. If that were 2 separate tickets on BA connecting at LHR and the inbound is delayed, you'd be at BA's mercy and if they rebook you, the agent would be doing you a favour. Reward or paid revenue ticket, it makes no difference.
But OP is not travelling on BA and not going to LHR... He's travelling between MSP-ORD and then ORD-CMH, so its obvious AA's policy will apply irrespective of whether he has an award booking issued by another airline. AA will take care of him in case of IRROPs
Old May 27, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: BA GGL
Only if you have allowed for MCT. What times does the MSP-ORD flight arrive and then what time does the ORD-CMH flight depart?

I believe the MCT is at least 1hr 20. But depends on the arrival airline & departure airline.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by c1223
Only if you have allowed for MCT. What times does the MSP-ORD flight arrive and then what time does the ORD-CMH flight depart?

I believe the MCT is at least 1hr 20. But depends on the arrival airline & departure airline.
Since the OP will be connecting from AA to AA, the MCT for the his itinerary will be much less than 80 minutes:

[Url]http://www.flyerguide.com/Minimum_Connecting_Times_(AA)[/i]
Old May 27, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by guv1976

Since the OP will be connecting from AA to AA, the MCT for the his itinerary will be much less than 80 minutes:

[Url]http://www.flyerguide.com/Minimum_Connecting_Times_(AA)[/i]
Woops! I ignored that I'd written MSP and thought it was an international to domestic which would be around 80 mins.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
People keep saying that you're at "their mercy" and if you get rebooked you're "very lucky" etc. - but how true actually is that?

I fully agree that BA aren't contractually bound to do it, but I've read countless stories of them unofficially doing it and can't remember reading a single time where they haven't (though I'm sure it does happens occasionally). Are you actually lucky to get rebooked, or is it not being rebooked that's actually the exception to the norm? I assume they're far more likely to wash their hands of it if you misconnect from a different airline though.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by callum9999
People keep saying that you're at "their mercy" and if you get rebooked you're "very lucky" etc. - but how true actually is that?

I fully agree that BA aren't contractually bound to do it, but I've read countless stories of them unofficially doing it and can't remember reading a single time where they haven't (though I'm sure it does happens occasionally). Are you actually lucky to get rebooked, or is it not being rebooked that's actually the exception to the norm? I assume they're far more likely to wash their hands of it if you misconnect from a different airline though.
They always do - I realise my post count isn't that high, but I have lurked for a long time and have seldom ever read a report of BA being difficult in these circumstances despite their technical obligations.
Old May 27, 2014, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

How about for Avios awards that don't include AA?

I was using my MSP-ORD / ORD-CMH as an example.

I was thinking of doing this to hop around the world, and while I'd rather enjoy a several day stopover, there could be cases where I was just using the stop to hop on another plane.

So I was more concerned with this in general, for any flights bookable with AVIOS miles.

I took AA's response to be the same for all OneWorld partners.

So I guess that's my question now: Does OneWorld honor all other Oneworld tickets whether on one itinerary or on several. I searched around more and could only find examples of AA having this policy

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...tickets-5.html
Old May 27, 2014, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Does OneWorld honor all other Oneworld tickets whether on one itinerary or on several."

No. AA is the only oneworld carrier that explicitly protects you on connections between AA and AA or another oneworld carrier, on separate tickets. No other oneworld carrier has a comparable published policy.
Old May 30, 2014, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Good to keep in mind when booking separate Avios flights.

Wonder how much longer this AA "benefit" will exist before it is dropped?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:12 pm

BA to Qatar on one BAEC Avios booking

to keep the questions coming:

what about a BA to Qatar through Doha but on the same booking through Avios? If BA weren't so tight on redemptions and Sri Lankan was possible I'd happily grin and bare it but they're only offering one viable routing. Don't want to stay in Doha both ways.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:30 pm

BA to Qatar on one BAEC Avios booking

to keep the questions coming:

what about a BA to Qatar through Doha but on the same booking through Avios? If BA weren't so tight on redemptions and Sri Lankan was possible I'd happily grin and bare it but they're only offering one viable routing. Don't want to stay in Doha both ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.