FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   beans in the lounge, asparagus on board. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1579545-beans-lounge-asparagus-board.html)

BenSenise May 23, 2014 11:34 am

beans in the lounge, asparagus on board.

i noticed that apart from only providing warm food from noon until 3 now, the actual selection of food is worse than ever. now there seems to be only carbs (rice, potato, pasta) and beans (baked beans, chili beans, lentil beans) which are mostly carbs as well. These foods are the cheapest form of calories and most often have an undesirable effect on the person who eats them which in turn causes an undesirable effect on the people nearby. There were no cooked vegetables or meats.

Another food related "issue" is that we were served asparagus in CW a few days ago. Asparagus forms terribly smelling compounds in the urine and consequently, the lavs smelled absolutely atrocious afterwards.

beans and asparagus are such a wonderful choice for people who are confined in close quarters for hours and hours in a flying metal tube. doesn't anyone at BA consider these things when making food choices?

Purim May 23, 2014 11:52 am

Why do the FA's always get so upset when I try to open the windows, Anyone?

Phil the Flyer May 23, 2014 11:55 am

Reading this brought back memories of an FT BAEC thread, from nearly eight years ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ght-ba269.html

LondonElite May 23, 2014 12:58 pm

I love asparagus, especially the white kind which I bring back in great bundles from Germany in May and June. Bring it on. Btw, about 10% of the population does not produce the funny urine smell.

orbitmic May 23, 2014 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 22914166)
I love asparagus, especially the white kind which I bring back in great bundles from Germany in May and June. Bring it on.

Yes, I love those the Germans call "single asparagus" in reference to their huge size. They have amazing taste and texture. Get mine in France which is equally outstanding on that front and a bit more precocious! In comparison the tiny boring green asparagus BA use in their meals are relatively uninteresting.

FrancisA May 23, 2014 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 22914238)
Yes, I love those the Germans call "single asparagus" in reference to their huge size. They have amazing taste and texture. Get mine in France which is equally outstanding on that front and a bit more precocious! In comparison the tiny boring green asparagus BA use in their meals are relatively uninteresting.

Having a tried and loved both German and French varieties, I still don't think you can beat asparagus in season grown in the county where I live - good old Sussex by the sea:)

T8191 May 23, 2014 1:33 pm

I suspect the much acclaimed London Pride and LPGS could be added to the list of "potentially hazardous emitters".

I am sure colleagues here would join me in writing to FvdP asking him to exclude these, and similar, products from BA's F&B repertoire.

LondonElite May 23, 2014 3:11 pm

After a few more glasses of wine I'll tell you an interesting story of a flight to IAH I had with a friend where a lot of asparagus was consumed!

BenSenise May 23, 2014 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 22914166)
I love asparagus, especially the white kind which I bring back in great bundles from Germany in May and June. Bring it on. Btw, about 10% of the population does not produce the funny urine smell.

i believe that it has been scientifically proven that everyone actually produces those odiforous compound but that a small portion of the population cannot smell them. It is supposedly a genetic trait.

LondonElite May 23, 2014 3:53 pm

Then I have a scientific outlier. He cannot make the smell

lemira May 23, 2014 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by BenSenise (Post 22913695)
i noticed that apart from only providing warm food from noon until 3 now, the actual selection of food is worse than ever. now there seems to be only carbs (rice, potato, pasta) and beans (baked beans, chili beans, lentil beans) which are mostly carbs as well. These foods are the cheapest form of calories and most often have an undesirable effect on the person who eats them which in turn causes an undesirable effect on the people nearby. There were no cooked vegetables or meats.

Another food related "issue" is that we were served asparagus in CW a few days ago. Asparagus forms terribly smelling compounds in the urine and consequently, the lavs smelled absolutely atrocious afterwards.

beans and asparagus are such a wonderful choice for people who are confined in close quarters for hours and hours in a flying metal tube. doesn't anyone at BA consider these things when making food choices?

So you want unhealthy, fatty food to make you feel full, instead of healthy carbs which your body needs to survive? :confused:

BenSenise May 23, 2014 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 22915019)
Then I have a scientific outlier. He cannot make the smell

I'm being totally serious here and ask if anyone other than himself has smelled his urine after he eats asparagus? Can he smell those compounds in other people's urine after they eat asparagus?

of course it's possible that he is an outlier and that he does not produce those compounds. he should submit his body to science so they can find out why.

how does he do with beans? :D

Originally Posted by lemira (Post 22915307)
So you want unhealthy, fatty food to make you feel full, instead of healthy carbs which your body needs to survive? :confused:

sorry, i didn't know that vegetables were unhealthy and fatty. i'll try to avoid them from now on. I'll try to move to a mostly carbohydrate diet, glycemic load be damned.

i find it interesting how someone can turn my statement that there are no vegetables or meats available into a statement that I want unhealthy, fatty foods. Are you saying that there are no healthy, not fatty vegetables or meats? wow. just wow.

LondonElite May 23, 2014 6:05 pm

I've once again had too much of the nice St Emilion 2004 so typing skills are not high....

On a flight from LGW to IAH (remember those days) a colleague and I ordered the steak and asparagus. After lunch he went to the toilet and said "it smells funny there.". I said "well obviously, we've all had asparagus!". He had no idea what I was talking about. I explained....

We were in Houston for ten days and at every dinner we ordered asparagus for him and watched him eat it. He never produced the smell, both self and third party checked!

Doc Savage May 23, 2014 6:07 pm

:rolleyes:

BenSenise May 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 22915619)
I've once again had too much of the nice St Emilion 2004 so typing skills are not high....

On a flight from LGW to IAH (remember those days) a colleague and I ordered the steak and asparagus. After lunch he went to the toilet and said "it smells funny there.". I said "well obviously, we've all had asparagus!". He had no idea what I was talking about. I explained....

We were in Houston for ten days and at every dinner we ordered asparagus for him and watched him eat it. He never produced the smell, both self and third party checked!

very interesting. a rarity indeed!