Community
Wiki Posts
Search

beans in the lounge, asparagus on board.

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Imminently cooking a pork tenderloin fillet ... Hardy a sign of fat. So it's been sliced into nice thick medallions, seasoned and soaking in a tablespoon of olive oil before dry-frying. With couscous and asparagus to accompany, on this occasion.
Old May 24, 2014, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I was in a lounge yesterday and they were serving white beans and garbanzo beans. Thought it was wrong to have those on offer.
Old May 24, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
Retaining a slim waistline is more a matter of portion control than anything else. I fail spectacularly at it.

I don't remember where I read it but this is actually a good measuring stick to go by: "Unless your grandmother would have recognized it while growing up, don't eat it". This takes most processed food out of the equation.
Old May 24, 2014, 4:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

here are your "healthy" food options in GC earlier this week from left to right:
  • baked potatoes
  • baked beans
  • chili beans (don't know if they were "con carne" or not)
  • lentil bean
  • kidney beans in some kind of sauce
  • pasta (missing tray)
  • rice and
  • more rice.

Old May 24, 2014, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by BenSenise
here are your "healthy" food options in GC earlier this week from left to right:
  • baked potatoes
  • baked beans
  • chili beans (don't know if they were "con carne" or not)
  • lentil bean
  • kidney beans in some kind of sauce
  • pasta (missing tray)
  • rice and
  • more rice.

OMG!

You eat that?
Old May 25, 2014, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
I don’t think the selection of what is on offer here is that bad I would enhance it by serving it with a small mixed salad selection on the side and maybe some soup. The biggest problem here is the presentation of the buffet which does make the troughs look vulgar. Small portions would be better.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Joely
The idea that a low fat high carb diet is the route too good health is thankfully on the verge of being condemned to history as it rightfully should be.s
What a load of absolute RUBBISH!

Who told you that? Your GP or did you see it on the TV?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by lemira

I read papers in pier reviewed scientific journals.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Joely
I read papers in pier reviewed scientific journals.
Of course you do. And we should believe everything they tell us.

I'm sure everybody who eats fat, no carbs and lots of protein isn't at all overweight.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
OMG!

You eat that?
i think the catering team have been listening to the schoolyard ditty a bit too much.

Beans beans are good for your heart, the more you eat them the more you f*rt, the more you f*rt the better you feel, so lets have beans for every meal.

I suspect this is more a policy of 'how can we fill up the hot buffet cheaply but still offer what looks like variety' (said tongue in cheek). Baked Beans, beans with chilli, bean with other beans etc
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:23 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite

Interestingly, the nation of Sweden is the first state to change their health services advice. Doctors there would tell overweight people in no uncertain terms to cut their carbs down.

I also suspect that anyone attempting to meet 80% of their calories from carbs (as you suggest) would suffer from pretty severe vitamin and iron deficiencies. Not to mention high blood pressure, diabetes and crazy mood swings.

In any case, BA is a service provider, not a dietitian. Lots of people want to sustain a low carb diet, particularly when travelling. BA should make that possible - I'd also suggest that even for others providing a diet of bread, pasta, rice, cookies and crisps isn't looking after your regulars.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Of course you do. And we should believe everything they tell us.

I'm sure everybody who eats fat, no carbs and lots of protein isn't at all overweight.
That's true of course, and ultimately most of them are epidemiological in nature that is something of a fickle mistress. That said there are a fair number of meta-analyses kicking about which I am more than happy to point you to, probably the most recent was very widely publicised . And my personal N=1 experience is very good going down this route, not only for weight maintenance but also general wellbeing as it has been for a couple of friends as well.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Interestingly, the nation of Sweden is the first state to change their health services advice. Doctors there would tell overweight people in no uncertain terms to cut their carbs down.
The first thing overweight people ought to be told is to EXERCISE, stop eating fatty/sugary food, no dairy, no meat, little or no alcohol, quit smoking and to eat HEALTHY sources of carbohydrate energy which you NEED to live (such as fruit and vegetables).

You will NOT be iron deficient if you eat nuts / beans / pulses, so don't bother with that line of nonsense.

If you honestly think you can be healthy without exercise and carbs, you're very wrong.

Most people who preaches about 'not too many carbs' are usually shoving meat and dairy down their throats and never exercise. They're looking for a short cut to keep weight off.

I suppose it doesn't really matter how many millions of animals we slaughter or farm intensively to satisfy our need for protein and fat (but let's turn a blind eye to that, after all, out of sight, out of mind).
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The first thing overweight people ought to be told is to EXERCISE, stop eating fatty/sugary food, no dairy, no meat, little or no alcohol, quit smoking and to eat HEALTHY sources of carbohydrate energy which you NEED to live (such as fruit and vegetables).
This is apparently an article of faith rather than science for you, so there's little point in debating it, but what you say goes against a growing body of science which has been developed over the past 15 years or so concerning the ability to digest carbs/ higher GI foods of some people...
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
This is apparently an article of faith rather than science for you, so there's little point in debating it, but what you say goes against a growing body of science which has been developed over the past 15 years or so concerning the ability to digest carbs/ higher GI foods of some people...
You are the person who said:

"I also suspect that anyone attempting to meet 80% of their calories from carbs (as you suggest) would suffer from pretty severe vitamin and iron deficiencies. Not to mention high blood pressure, diabetes and crazy mood swings."

...which I'm here to tell you is the biggest load of rubbish I've ever clapped eyes on.

How could you possibly suffer vitamin and iron deficiencies from eating things like fruit, veg, beans etc?

You're massively overlooking the fact I am recommending healthy eating and exercise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.